Cherry Bekaert Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Howard J. Kies
Howard J. Kies

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is mostly good (in 10 reviews)

• Much more so than big 4 accounting firms (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Busy season hours, no guaranteed match on 401k, smaller annual raises than other firms expensive health insurance (in 10 reviews)

• Some periods with LONG hours and tight deadlines / budget pressures (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best of both worlds - Big Firm Resources/Small firm culture."

Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Auditor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Work life balance matters. Management actually hears you. Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

There is nothing negative specific to the firm that comes to mind.

Apr 24, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for your great perspective! We care about the health and well-being of our employees and are glad it shows.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been working for Cherry Bekaert LLP for a few months and have had a great experience thus far. As a mid-career professional, it is a big transition to start at a new company and I was very nervous at first. From the beginning the Human Resources Recruiting team was very nice and so helpful. They made themselves readily available whenever I had questions or concerns. The Virginia Beach staff is very welcoming and cordial. The staff is very professional but also a great group of individuals to work with. I enjoy coming into the office and working with my co-workers.
             Cherry Bekaert has so many great benefits including "MyLife" which is basically being able to have a flexible schedule. The company believes in the balance of work and life therefore giving you the option to work remotely from home on days when more convenient or having a flexible schedule according the needs of your personal life and family.
            The company has changed the dress policy to "dress for your day" which is exactly what it states. If you have client meetings of course you are expected to be in business attire but if you do not have meetings, it is acceptable to wear jeans or dress business casual. This is a great option to have for me.
                    The Virginia Beach office knows how to have fun! Within the few months I have been employed by the company I have attended several outings including Top Golf. Also, one does not go hungry in this office either as the company provides many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners during busy tax season.
         Cherry Bekaert takes community service and giving back to the community seriously by raising money every Friday to give to a local charity or cause which the employees choose. I think it is great knowing every Friday a local charity or cause have received a donation with my help.
          Overall, the company is a great company to work!

Cons

Long hours during tax season but that is to be expected with the business.

May 3, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Wow, what awesome detailed feedback! We’re happy to hear that Cherry Bekaert has proven to be such a great fit for you. Thank you for taking the time to express your satisfaction with the Firm, we... More

"Toxic Culture and Lack of Leadership"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff, seniors and admin are excellent professionals and very welcoming. Great location. Flex time during summer. Dress for your day which let's you be flexible depending the client/industry. HR position is new and planning for certain changes in the way things work internally.

Cons

- Healthcare is expensive.
    - 401k match is not attractive.
    - There's lack of emotional intelligence to handle employees. They blame everyone from the bottom and don't take responsibility. No empathy with employees. Don't fall for the smiles and promises they give you on interviews. This place is very toxic. Not worth it. A lot of gossip about employees. There's some psycological games in the audit department.
    - No meetings to communicate where we are going and what are the plans in the long term.
    - Management is not in the position to help anyone but the bottom line.
    - No support to employees other than saying negative things about you. They want you to be perfect but they don't help you reach your full potential. They tell you one thing to change it later. Budgets are not realistic considering today's accounting/audit changes.
    - Ft Luaderdale's office is empty because of all the drama and blaming to staff/seniors. Two managers left within 6 months.
    - All this is contrary to the CEO's tone.
    - Recently they implemented a requirement to report everyday to the admin assistant on your whereabouts every morning. Like if it were highschool.
    - Very difficult to take PTO's.

Advice to Management

Change the culture and leadership style. Employ emotional intelligence. Appreciate the team that you have which is willing to go the extra mile. The team is loyal, however, due to lack of positive feedback the morale is low.

Jul 21, 2017 – Partner

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. You are right about healthcare – rising costs continue to be a challenge that our country faces. To help with this, Cherry Bekaert offers several... More

4. "Good Employer - Making Next Level Leap"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Coral Gables, FL
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Coral Gables, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management Individuals (Managers, Partners) demonstrate a commitment to teaching which is paramount for career development of staff. Good two-way communication to and from Management. Changes and improvements are made based on feedback provided; of course when plausible. Great flexibility with respect to outside commitments and circumstances, as expectations are clearly communicated. Very cohesive group with respect to South Florida Practice. Making efforts for increased abilities to work remotely, which is always a plus.

Cons

Hours can be long - as it the issue with the profession.
    Benefits are not up to par with the market (Expensive Health Premiums, Minimal Match on 401(k)).

Advice to Management

Consideration should be given to improvement of Benefits.

Jun 19, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

As an experienced CB associate, thanks for taking the time to share your opinion! We agree that Cherry Bekaert is moving to the next level in South Florida! The client service industry can certainly... More

5. "Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule, good learning experience and great co-workers

Cons

None worth noting here.

Feb 14, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Great to hear you are very satisfied with your employment at Cherry Bekaert! We appreciate your input.

6. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent mentoring from senior management.

Cons

Poor communication skills cause tension at times.

Jan 30, 2017 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to post about your experience, we appreciate it! Our managers work very hard to provide training and mentoring to their staff so we’re glad that you noticed! Regarding... More

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great job path projection. On track for a partnership. The firm has revamped the leadership program and leaders are now identified at all levels. If you work hard and excel, you will be recognized. The Atlanta office has a great work environment and the office is the nicest one in the firm. It is open and bright and set up well for collaboration.

Cons

Leadership continues to improve to show a united front but it still needs work. When actions need to be taken, sometimes leadership tends to drag their feet which can hurt their image with the newer staff.

Advice to Management

Stop turning a blind eye to some of the issues in certain offices. Make a plan and stick to it so all offices are more consistent so the One Firm concept continues to become a reality.

Oct 29, 2015 – Executive Recruiter

Thanks for sharing your experience at the firm! Cherry Bekaert is absolutely committed to providing the technical and industry training so important to our profession and leadership development... More

"Great entry level position"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Augusta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant in Augusta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CPA exam materials are provided for. Laid back management. Reimbursed expenses including CPA exams. Flexible schedules. Friendly employees.

Cons

No training. Long hours. Management cultivates favorites over hard workers. Management fails to give constructive feedback until it's too late.

Advice to Management

Train new employees and retain good workers but showing and rewarding those workers.

"Staff Accountant"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant/Auditor in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work here are great and easy to get along with. Also, the work life balance is better than that of larger firms.

Cons

The Company's 401k match is low at only .25% for every 1% contributed by the employee, up to a match of 5%.

Jul 27, 2015 – Executive Recruiter

It’s awesome that you are able to enjoy the Firm’s culture that supports having a balanced work/life arrangement and that you also have a good relationship with your colleagues! It's also great that... More

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When you first walk into the Atlanta office, you immediately feel the positive vibe of the firm. Light, breezy, cheery and overall pleasantness. Then you hear the clicking and clonking of what appears to be a make shift Ping Pong table - you get closer and in fact they are Ping Pong tables set up throughout the office! The free snacks and soda is something that is unique to Cherry Bekaert as I am not aware of any other accounting firm that provides this perk - the culture here is very similar to a software development company - if you are going to work hard, why not have a little fun during it!
    The firm pays well, promotes well, and provides ample opportunities for growth. The leadership is excellent in allowing one to grow into your role!

Bottom Line: the big 4 have their place in the accounting world, as they should, but if you are serious about your career and gaining experience without having to sacrifice or feel like you are just a billing machine, I strongly suggest you give the other firms a chance because they not only provide the same experience, but you will much more appreciated for your efforts and more than likely better compensated as well.

Cons

Not all the offices in the firm are like ATL.

Advice to Management

For a One firm culture to germinate, it is crucial to have the appearance and feel of One firm.