Cherry Bekaert "big 4" Reviews | Glassdoor

Cherry Bekaert Employee Reviews about "big 4"

Updated Nov 14, 2019

4.1
Cherry Bekaert Firm Managing Partner Michelle Thompson (no image)
Michelle Thompson
Pros
  • "Great work/life balance, friendly environment, excellent career opportunity(in 19 reviews)

• "Much more so than big 4 accounting firms(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "but given this is a public accounting firm, we do work the busy season hours just like any other firm(in 23 reviews)

• "Long hours during busy season (normal for public), our particular market/office is constantly growing so the demands increase every year(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "big 4"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I enjoy being a part of a growth oriented firm - organically and through acquisitions. We offer much more than just your basic tax and audit. I don't feel locked down to one place. If I want to move to another city somewhere down the line, I know the firm will support me and work with me to transfer to another office. We are also extremely flexible when it comes to work life balance and working hours. Unless there is a client deadline or restriction, I am free to flex half a day on Friday or take an extra long lunch to take care of some errands. I have found my pay to be extremely competitive with other firms. I have been here over 5 years now and have gotten raise every year. I don't think there are many other industries where you can say that. Lastly, while we do have our busy times, our hours are still very reasonable in comparison to the hours I had to work while I was at a Big 4 firm in a different city.

Cons

The bonus structure has changed over the years. I think having the incentive of cash bonuses rather than "points" would be helpful. While we appreciate the points, nothing compares to an actual bonus.

Cherry Bekaert2018-09-05
  2. "Great place to start a career"

Former Employee - Entry Level Associate

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great Culture -Better experience than Big 4 -Decent benefits & salary

Cons

-Can be long hours depending on where you work -Doesn't quite have the prestige Big 4 does

Cherry Bekaert2019-11-14
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Great company with great people and a laid back environment ( for accounting)"

Current Employee - Audit Staff in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people and the culture.

Cons

As a smaller firm (top 25), there is somewhat less name recognition than a big 4 firm for example

Advice to Management

As the firm grows care should be taken to preserve the firm values, rather than transforming into another accounting conglomerate.

Cherry Bekaert2018-01-11

"Cherry Bekaert, my experience with the firm"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. You will not work near the hours that your peers at other firms work. To put this in perspective, I have friends who were working until 2am at big 4 firms, while Cherry Bekaert employees were complaining if they were at the office last 6.

Cons

The training and experience you receive is totally based on the team you're assigned to, and it's honestly a crapshoot. You don't really have much say in where you're assigned- some people will have solid managers and jobs that allow them to grow exponentially while others fall to the wayside. You'll be told by management early on that you'll be able to choose your industry and team but this isn't necessarily the case. Partners in Raleigh aren't connected enough to day-to-day tasks to understand this or care about it. Additionally, exit opportunities can be slim based on the clients you work on. CB is huge on governments and not-for-profits which is great if you plan on staying in public accounting forever. Otherwise, it may hurt your career. Salary is comparable to other firms, but benefits are much worse. This is something I didn't realize off the bat so be sure to read the fine print before you sign.

Advice to Management

Expand your client base beyond governments and NFPS. Those industries aren't the most exciting for an up and coming CPA

Cherry Bekaert2017-06-15
  6. "Experienced staff review"

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert

Pros

Have exposure to all "parts of an audit" and a range of responsibilities early on that you would not see in a Big 4. The hours aren't entirely terrible

Cons

Does not have the Big 4 name recognition

Advice to Management

Bring back spot bonuses

Cherry Bekaert2017-01-18

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

When you first walk into the Atlanta office, you immediately feel the positive vibe of the firm. Light, breezy, cheery and overall pleasantness. Then you hear the clicking and clonking of what appears to be a make shift Ping Pong table - you get closer and in fact they are Ping Pong tables set up throughout the office! The free snacks and soda is something that is unique to Cherry Bekaert as I am not aware of any other accounting firm that provides this perk - the culture here is very similar to a software development company - if you are going to work hard, why not have a little fun during it! The firm pays well, promotes well, and provides ample opportunities for growth. The leadership is excellent in allowing one to grow into your role! Bottom Line: the big 4 have their place in the accounting world, as they should, but if you are serious about your career and gaining experience without having to sacrifice or feel like you are just a billing machine, I strongly suggest you give the other firms a chance because they not only provide the same experience, but you will much more appreciated for your efforts and more than likely better compensated as well.

Cons

Not all the offices in the firm are like ATL.

Advice to Management

For a One firm culture to germinate, it is crucial to have the appearance and feel of One firm.

Cherry Bekaert2015-07-21

"Staff"

Former Employee - Staff

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Company and people. Not as many hours as big 4.

Cons

Not much exposure to public companies.

Cherry Bekaert2014-07-17

"Great company and peopl"

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

Really make you feel like they care about you. Much more so than big 4 accounting firms.

Cons

Need more accountability and transparency when it comes to promotion.

Cherry Bekaert2014-07-17

"Learned a lot, but not without significant sacrifice."

Former Employee - Audit Senior in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Cherry Bekaert full-time for more than a year

Pros

Like the title explains, I learned a lot here. I was part of a smaller firm acquired, and because of that, I worked on more jobs with more significant issues than I had prior that increased my knowledge substantially. The pay is pretty decent considering you are not putting in the hours of a Big 4. Because of Cherry Bekaert, I now work somewhere awesome ;).

Cons

If you have a family, do not expect to spend a lot of time with them. Do not even think to have kids. While there is a busy season with a policy of 55 required hours, be ready to work a lot more than that if you want to get promoted and you will also have these same 50+ hour weeks at multiple times of the year because they are short staffed and it is cheaper to work employees harder than to hire new staff. Know that all Senior Management cares about is hours. When putting in said hours, make sure that you are seen by people because if you get these hours before people get to work early in the morning or when you get home late at night, people will assume that you are lazy because they physically do not see you on location. Cherry Bekeart's "rapid growth" is from acquisition not because people want to work there. If you are at CB because you were acquired, just quit now because you will be labeled as "not as proficient" as those that are at the same level and already at CB. Senior Management thinks that Cherry Bekaert is hot stuff, but ask anyone in accounting anywhere and they will say they've never heard of that firm. If you're doing public accounting for your resume, just suffer the two years at a Big 4 where at least you'll get name recognition. Aside: Surely people reading these reviews know that many of the 5 star anonymous reviews are fake and from HR.

Advice to Management

You probably shouldn't have spent millions in rebranding when you have an under appreciated work force. Treat your people better. While hours is important in the industry be a little warmer to employees instead of hammering down policies.

Cherry Bekaert2014-02-21
  11. "Outstanding!"

Current Employee - Accountant in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Cherry Bekaert full-time

Pros

Entrpreneurial environment and engaging clients. Not the meat-grinder my former Big 4 employer was. A nice place to work.

Cons

None. I had a blast!

Cherry Bekaert2013-03-18