Chesapeake Bay Candle Reviews | Glassdoor

Mei Xu

"A Mess!"

Current Employee - Product Engineer in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Product Engineer in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company tries to treat the employees fair but never listen. Upper management bad and I think fake most of the time , in one ear out the other! Workers or production companions are nice .

Cons

The cash and carry is nice to have but needs improvement with running it . Person in there is rude and talks down to people and does not realize she is disrespectful to others . Never had that problem in the past.

Advice to Management

Keep trying maybe you can get it together somewhere else another company.

2. "Great Learning Experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time

Pros

The best reasons to work here is to be part of a close nit team environment. Teamwork and collaboration are paramount whilst working for this company, that being said advice to the wise be genuine amongst your team and mature confront issues in an open forum environment and not behind each other's backs in a tattle tail manner, that is so high school. Thick skin is required for such because some people are not as mature as others.

Other pros are being inspired by the brand story. It's a family business that started out small scale and grew large scale with a great vision, ideas, and a passionate leader in the Ceo. There's a lot that one can learn from the leadership. Those who complain about leadership are wasting their time it's the owners business so of course greatness, ethics, professionalism, and deliverables are required. WhIle working for the company try to think from a business perspective as if it were your own business. Opportunities for growth can definitely happen for those who think outside the box and are career minded. Learn as much as you can. Think about what you can do to enhance things instead of complaining be the improver not a whiner. No matter the position you are doing have a career mindset not "its just a job". Career = livelihood and going to the next level. If your aproach is it's just a job then you will allow for disappointment to set in once that happens you will bring negative energy to the team and company.

All that being said you must remain positive during your time with the company work hard and prove yourself good energy yields great returns.

I will say the company culture is diverse which is commendable and made things fun and interesting. The owners are generous and try hard to create a work hard environment with fun that pops up here and there. The products and fragrance are great so that is a plus for the company.

Cons

Challenges are getting things that are time robbers, shifted so that top line things can be achieved. Constant complainers downing the mood. Employees of any company need remember that they work for the business and there are certain things that you can't change just do your job the best you can, granted venting is okay and healthy for anyone, but do so to the leadership in a diplomatic and professional manner you may just get the answers and resolution you are looking for. Complaining, whining, and gossiping amongst yourself typically leads to disappointment.

Advice to Management

Allow for opportunities for an open forum where the team can voice issues, trends, poor processes, and advice as it relates to continued improvement. High level leadership sometimes can be far disconnected from the regular day to day task that each associate is doing. Efficency and process improvement should become a standard so that it saves money and time. Implement policies with these principles define, measure, analyze, improve, and control. In order to accomplish these principles the company may need to hire someone such as a business analyst who has this type of expertise. In the long run it could save the company money and improve the overall quality of the work and the environment.

3. "Its getting there"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle (Less than a year)

Pros

candle samples
    great co-workers (super nice and supportive)
    change can happen

Cons

leadership needs some work
    occasional hot heads
    poor communication between departments

Advice to Management

need some new people in upper management positions; some feel out of date or out of touch with the current trends in home scents.

"Team emviromemnt"

Current Employee - Interim Director of Human Resources in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Interim Director of Human Resources in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle (Less than a year)

Pros

Environment is team oriented, welcoming atmosphere

Cons

Needs more structure and employee training. The need of leadership of teams is absolutely a most.

Advice to Management

None

"Corporate offices"

Former Employee - Staffer in Glen Burnie, MD
    Former Employee - Staffer in Glen Burnie, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and diverse. Staff seem to enjoy their work and see a big future for the company. Great outlook for development of products.

Cons

Direction of company is not communicated. Too many layers of management and info is not shared. Get help in All finance departments

Advice to Management

Allow managers to speak freely

"Please improve"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is doing nice things for employees, trying to say thanks, HR help and is fair. People in production hardworking, a few in office also hardworking. Some people care about job, work six days a week, do good job.

Cons

Some are not nice and hardworking. Not fix candle problems, only talk a lot but don't care about people or candles. Put blame on other people. Makes other people do all job but PTI don't see this. Only reward this kind of person, this is no fair. Company should reward hardworking people who care, not people who talk but do no work to fix problems or care about candle or people. This is no fair.

Advice to Management

Please please stop and see that people who talk too much, no fix problems, only make other people do job, get paid but no work for factory or improve anything.

"Okay I guess"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Suitland, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free candles. Free candles. More free candles!

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. New faces every 2 months.

Advice to Management

Get a grip!

"A Joke"

Current Employee - Pack Out in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Pack Out in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are none that I know of.

Cons

Management does not give a crap about the employees, only production. They work you like a dog six days a week and give you no slack. If you want time off they tell you no they are short handed but you can quit and reapply. If you are Oriental you can do as you please with no repercussions. You can walk off the job because you are mad and come back the next day. They only do the jobs they want and not the ones they are asked to do. There is only one white person in any supervisory capicity. The company policy states if they are closed for inclement weather we are to get paid but when they close for snow we do not get paid. They tell us we were closed due to the cold weather and cannot prodcue. Bull. When it was sub zero with no heat in the building we were working and producing. When it was over 100 with no fans or air conditionng, we were producing. They close the plant all the time on scheduled days because of equipment failure or no wax and we do not get paid. They have you come in for 20 minutes, send you home and we do not get paid. They can change youar schedule as they wish but you cannot ask to have your schedule changed. They said any openngs would be posted but they are no. When a position becomes open, they go to the people who have been there the least amount of time and ask them if they want it or hire more people from the outside. example: Just had 2 positions open for quality control and both were filled from the outside with people who had no idea what the job was about instead of someone within who deals with candles every day. God forbid you have a family emergency and need to change your schedule for a few days. You are not asking for time off, just a change. Of course the answer is NO. Take vacation or quit. Some people have been there over a year with no review or raise. And don"t be out sick and have a doctors note because you will still get fired. The supervisors have no backbone when it comes to decipline. People stand aroud with their arrms foldeddoing nothing when we are swamped and nothing is said to them. Others talk all through their shift and pay no attention to what they are suppose to do and nothing is said. We spend more time fixixng ba candles than producing quality candles because the people mixing, doingn wicks and doing lables cannot do their job right. There are different rules for each candle and most of the time we ship poor quaility just to get the numbers and then spend more time fixing them when they come back than we would have to do them right the first time. It is not uncommon to have wrong lables on candles and then have to unpack them, remove wrong lables and put the right ones on by hand. Not just a few, but thousands. We are seldom informed of any thing going on in the company that effects us and when we do have a meeting we can ask questions but if they don't like the questions you are cut off and told to move on. My advice to anyone wanting to work there. DON'T.

Advice to Management

Get human and realize your employees are people not machines and have a life outside CBC. When they talk, LISTEN. If you want to keep turnover down, give people a reason to stay. Follow your rules you have posted or post new ones. Give reviews when due and raises would be nice. Understand people do have times they need to be off or change their schedule. Accomidate them rather than loose them. You loose all your GOOD employees because you won;t give an inch to anyone who is not Oriental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Run! Run! Run!"

Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Glen Burnie, MD
    Current Employee - Quality Control Technician in Glen Burnie, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to start off when looking for entry level positions.

Cons

EXTREMELY unprofessional, Poor work/life balance, insensitive, very shady- Once I did not get paid because they forgot to put my name in to payroll and said that I would have to wait until the next pay period to get paid- No apologies whatsoever. You will be required to work seven days a week at times. Their new factory in Glen Burnie is extremely unorganized and they have no regard for their employees. You cannot even call out sick (even with a doctor's note) without getting penalized using their point system. The pay is a joke.

Advice to Management

If you want the company to succeed- Treat your employees with respect and have some integrity.

"Extremely Disappointing and Unprofessional place to work.."

I have been working at Chesapeake Bay Candle full-time

Pros

The only good part is experience of learning from vendor side

Cons

Everything- the management is the worst ever seen or heard before. Mid-managers have been with this company forever and very oblivious to outside world and new ideas. They use and throw employees based on needs. No vision for company growth, or employee growth..it's surprising that company of this nature still exists.

Advice to Management

Entire management needs some training on how to run the company (if they want it to survive)