KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Chesapeake Energy

Is this your company?

Chesapeake Energy

Add a Review

Chesapeake Energy Employee Reviews about "oil and gas"

Updated Dec 2, 2020

Found 22 of over 536 reviews

3.7
Chesapeake Energy President, Chief Executive Officer and Director Robert D. Lawler
Robert D. Lawler
Pros
  • "Good knowledgeable people and great benefits(in 60 reviews)

• "On site fitness center, health center, restaurants and child care(in 38 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Ups and downs of the oil and gas industry(in 17 reviews)

• "Worse - upper management is very anti transparency(in 12 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Chesapeake Energy and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "oil and gas"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Loved working for Chesapeake

Dec 2, 2020 - SCADA Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay was good, culture was great, the people were the best.

Cons

Oil and gas industry is a cruel mistress.

2. 5.0

It was a great place to work for 18 years

Nov 20, 2020 - Operations Accounting Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Culture and Friends. Learned a lot!!!

Cons

Environment changes, making oil and gas Companies suffer.

3. 5.0

Great place

Apr 21, 2020 - Scientist in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Managers care about career advancement.

Cons

Ups and downs of the oil and gas industry

4. 4.0

Demanding and unpredictable

Oct 22, 2013 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company offers good pay depending on the work performed, the best in the OKC Metro by most accounts. Campus is beautiful year round. Employees enjoy a full service fitness center with individual machines and group workouts. Employees have 5 different restaurants to choose from on campus that is exclusively available to employees only (family on Fridays). They also have a 65,000 square foot, state of the art daycare facility with great teachers and a special section designed to care for kids with the flu or other sickness so that parents don't have to miss work.

Cons

All of these amazing benefits are taken out of your hide. You are expected to work at a ridiculously fast rate with insane deadlines. Super stressed out workers are the norm. Also, the performance of the company depends a lot on the cost of oil and gas. Lastly, the company recently underwent a major restructuring and released over 800 people, 640 from their OKC campus.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0

Chesapeake Energy Wins the Day

Oct 21, 2008 - Landman in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation and benefits are very competitive. The fitness center is a big advantage along with the wellness program, complete with $1,000 in incentives for living a healthy lifestyle. The pace is fast and there are plenty of learning opportunities. The campus and facilities are first rate. The Blue Room theatre is an outstanding place to hold meetings, seminars, etc., and they have a weekend movie program. Vacation policies have become more competitive and worker-friendly in the last few years. The on-campus health facility is convenient and cheap, with a copay of only $5, even if the primary doctor is on a crusade against antibiotics and takes a tough-it-out policy on illnesses. Bi-annual salary and bonus reviews are an outstanding plus. It's the best job I've had and the best place I've worked, and I fell lucky to be here.

Cons

The oil and gas industry is cyclical by nature, so you have to be ready for the ups and downs. The ups are stressful because of the frantic pace and pressure, the downs are stressful because of macro-economic worries that the industry will crumble and you will be left jobless, although I don't feel like this will happen to me here. If anything, it's a bit disconcerting that we have done our jobs so well as a company that we've become an attractive buyout candidate, which would not be a good thing for the employees, most of whom would be undoubtedly let go. Like any major company, there is a lot of office politics with which to deal. Many times it matter who one knows or how one can manipulate who one knows. Promotions (concerning titles) have not been handed out very fairly, in my opinion. However, I believe compensation is more closely tied to performance, and salary and bonus reviews come around twice a year.

6. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

My Experience at CHK

Aug 7, 2015 - Data Analyst in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Chesapeake Energy is one of the premier oil and gas companies in the United States. They have a beautiful campus and state-of-the-art work environment.

Cons

Just like a lot of E&P companies, the decline in oil prices has caused them to sell of a lot of their assets and interests.

7. 5.0

Staff Automation Engineer

Nov 18, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Benefits - Compensation, Bonus, Fitness Center, Cafeteria choices. Great Personal Time Off and 401k benefits. Friendly Atmosphere. Central location. Safety conscious. Good work life balance.

Cons

I really cannot think of any except that it is in the upstream oil and gas industry. Since this industry is cyclical profitability is tied to cost of commodity.

8. 4.0

Good company, bad market

Sep 29, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture. A place where you can really feel at home and know you're a part of a progressive industry.

Cons

Very susceptible to oil and gas market and is having a lot of trouble currently as it deals with low commodity prices.

9. 4.0

Overall Good

Aug 18, 2015 - Landman in Akron, OH
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overall this was a solid company to work for. I was treated well but sadly all good things must come to an end. CHK got me into the oil and gas industry and was willing to take the time to train me.

Cons

A few bad choices by upper management has continued to be a headache for the company.

10. 5.0
      Former Intern, less than 1 year

Intern

Sep 1, 2015 - Intern in Oklahoma City, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working at Chesapeake. I had every opportunity to grow and learn more about oil and gas. The campus is beautiful and the intern program is probably the best in the nation.

Cons

The industry isn't a great place to be right now. Commodity prices are so low and working in oil and gas isn't the best choice sometimes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 22 Reviews