Chesapeake Environmental Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Chesapeake Environmental Management Reviews

Updated 13 Apr 2017

Found 10 reviews

3.9
Chesapeake Environmental Management CEO Stephanie Novak Hau (no image)
Stephanie Novak Hau
  1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You feel part of a family here. I've been here close to five years and plan to stay long term. The CEO may seem intimidating at first but if you make the effort to speak to her she is very down-to-earth and listens to you. Your future with the company is up to you if you are ambitious and open minded about learning new skills. By working hard you will get noticed by management. Extremely fair salary plus year end... profit sharing and opportunity to buy company stock which provides more profit sharing. Company is very involved in the local community and generous with charitable giving.

Cons

The growth from tiny family business to a larger firm had some hiccups but management is always willing to adjust and improve systems. In the past high-salaried "hot-shot" management staff has been brought in with little positive results.

Advice to Management

Keep open the dialogue with staff.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2016-01-11

"Environmental Scientist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bel Air, MD

Pros

CEM has one of the most generous benefit packages in the industry, and I enjoy the opportunity to take time off without worrying about not having enough PTO. I also appreciate that our managers take the time to make sure that we have all the resources we need to get our job done. I've worked at a few other consulting firms but none are as charitable and giving as CEM.

Cons

Very good time management skills are required, and sometimes deadlines come at us quickly.

Advice to Management

Please keep up with our new training initiatives. They are much appreciated!

Chesapeake Environmental Management2017-04-13
  3. "Staff"

in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management for more than a year

Pros

Making positive changes to improve employee morale, competitive salary, knowledgeable staff

Cons

high turn over, loss of great people

Chesapeake Environmental Management2016-01-28

"Small Business is the backbone of communities"

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management full-time

Pros

It is refreshing to work at a company that gives back in so many ways. Mature small businesses succeed because their mission is clear. CEM is committed to community both internally and externally. Always looking for new ways to automate and systemize the work so that our team can concentrate on what it does best.

Cons

Putting processes in place that will uphold the growth takes more time than anyone prefers.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2016-01-05
  5. "Great company that cares about it's employees"

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to work, very much a team environment. Adding new staff at all levels to enhance services. Management is very employee focused! Giving back to communities is a big part of the mission.

Cons

Keeping up with the rapid growth.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow in all areas, eventually adding other offices. Continue to look for ways to attract talented staff at all levels.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-12-08

"Not a great company to work for"

in Kingsville, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Environmental Management for more than a year

Pros

CEM is plugged in to the local community and is very generous to charities. The company gives year-end bonuses based on its success and your contribution. It is a very good place for junior employees to learn the trade.

Cons

Many things that the company does to/for its employees appear to be arbitrary and tend to be quite confusing. They do not treat senior employees well unless you are within a very select group. They have little to no trust of their employees, and although people are watched like a hawk, they seem to think that all of their problems are caused by a "lack of accountability" from project managers and senior staff.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees to do the right thing, which is what most companies do. If you don't think you can trust someone, then don't hire them. Let them do their jobs without fear of condemnation or public humiliation.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-07-28

"Growing company with talent at all levels"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bel Air, MD

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

Value quality service to clients, community and team. Flexible workplace with excellent benefits

Cons

Systems to stabilize and facilitate growth

Advice to Management

Continue to empower talent at all levels

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-07-08

"Manager"

I worked at Chesapeake Environmental Management

Pros

Enjoyed working with staff. Great group of people

Cons

Ongoing changes can be disconcerting

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-06-15

"Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Chesapeake Environmental Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Small office, nice location, good co-workers, woman owned business/minority business, good policy on corporate giving

Cons

Owners are completely deranged and self-absorbed. They will do everything in their power to sink the company while thinking they are doing grand things. They dont understand how to manage a project seeing as how its been over 20 years since they actually did any work. They display all the signs of a narcissist and never once will own up to any mistake they make. Within two years of being over 50 employees, people... are now leaving like rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Retire and let some one who knows what they are doing run the place.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-06-09
  10. "Environmental Consulting Firm"

I have been working at Chesapeake Environmental Management

Pros

Work-life balance, bonus structure, benefits/time-off policies.

Cons

Growing pains, increased focus on corporate structure.

Chesapeake Environmental Management2015-01-12