Chesapeake Regional Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Reese Jackson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly, hard working staff despite being overburden with work on units and SEVERELY UNDERAPPRECIATED (in 3 reviews)

• Great team work amongst staff and non-executive leaders (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Because it is a smaller independent hospital there are not as many opportunities (in 3 reviews)

• poor management at C suite level (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great Employer"

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits and Talented Team

Cons

It is slow to make good changes

2. "Anonymous"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefit, good employee discounts.

Cons

Management is top heavy! Very clique.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

3. "Medical receptionist"

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Kilmarnock, VA
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Kilmarnock, VA

I worked at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

friendly, family atmosphere w/ great Nurses & Drs

Cons

at the time Pay was low to raise family but better now I have heard.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work because my whole family still goes there for medical care.

4. "Registered Nurse"

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

CRMC is a friendly community hospital. Many employees have been with the hospital over 20 years.

Cons

Like hospitals everywhere, nurse staffing is always challenging.

Advice to Management

Offer student loan payoffs for new hire Nurses, increase education benefits for existing employees

"Patiently waiting for change"

Current Employee - Administrative in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team work amongst staff and non-executive leaders

Cons

It use to be a 5 star employer

Advice to Management

Positive change comes from the modeling at the top. Show respect and care towards your employees first and you will reap the rewards of success. You forget employees are your most valuable asset, they look to leadership to feel valued, cared about, communicated with, to model their values, and culture. If you do not show these character traits then you get the same in return.

"5 West"

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse

Pros

If you're looking for a floor with many different specialties, 5 West is what you're looking for. It's an incredibly busy floor, but learning opportunities to increase your skill set are available.

Cons

Poor pay, poor management and never enough staff. Night staff spends too much time sitting around instead of doing what should be done.

Advice to Management

Get rid of people that aren't beneficial and don't do their jobs. Listen to your employees, and make changes based on what they say.

"Worth a read"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly, hard working staff despite being overburden with work on units and SEVERELY UNDERAPPRECIATED. Pet therapy program. Volunteer program. Chaplaincy. Palliative care team. Patient Advocate team. RN Residency Program (but will they stay?!). Best ICU and PCU nurses. AMAZING Intensivists and related NPs. Community.

Cons

Like I said above-- over and under. Executive leadership in Absentia while inexperienced, power hungry management attempts to run the hospital and units. Joke! Nepotism in higher ranks keeping the truly qualified from key positions. Innovation only in their dreams. They can't even replace old equipment let alone think of new processes. Security staff with no firearms in case...- really?!

Advice to Management

Stop cowering in your cubby holes. Show that you care and VISIT units. Presence alone makes a HUGE difference. Listen to staff. Listen. Listen. Listen. Being reactive is the antithesis to progress. There is so much untapped potential in that hospital and in your AMAZING AND REMAINING LOYAL STAFF!

8. "The best!"

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center full-time

Pros

This facility is an amazing place. The staff are all about customer service, and they are always putting patients first.

Cons

The wait times are sometimes longer than you would expect. Nothing else bad to say!

Advice to Management

None! I love the way this practice is run.

9. "Great Place to Work !!"

Pros

I have been employed at CRMC for almost 10 years and enjoy coming to work every day. Each day is different and unique.

Cons

A new hospital would be my perfect world, but that requires a significant financial expenditure. For an independent hospital that is very difficult in today's world and economy.

Advice to Management

Never stop working to maintain the independence of Chesapeake Regional, that's what makes it so unique and a great place to work.

"Please hurry up retirement"

Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Chesapeake, VA
    Current Employee - STaff Registered Nurse in Chesapeake, VA

I have been working at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center (More than 10 years)

Pros

Small hospital with a community base.

Cons

When I started here almost 20 years ago, this was a great place to work and it was hard to get a job here. Since Mr Buckley left. It has gone slowly downhill until it is a terrible place to work. The only safe position is as a staff nurse with no involvement in anything. Unless you have friends in the right places, and stay on their good sides, don't try to advance - you'll only be a target. I used to be proud to say I work here.... Now, its embarrassing at the number of patient complaints about the care they receive. I'm just waiting for retirement ....

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, listen to the patients, treat all employees fairly.