Chet Holmes International Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chet Holmes International CEO Amanda Holmes
Amanda Holmes

"Great Training - Good People - Poor Support - Low Pay"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Chet Holmes International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training directly from Chet Holmes (Recorded before his death), Tony Robbins and from some of the senior managers was terrific. The resources available for self-directed learning were pretty strong as well. The managers seemed to care about you as a person ONCE you pass the initial performance tests. I was commission-based and worked from home, which was a bonus for me. I was also a top-performer for the 6 months I was there. There were upgrade bonuses for clients who paid for advanced courses. I liked the job, I liked what I was selling, and I liked the way I sold it. I like how they are looking for top-performers

Cons

I was commission-based, which I did not mind. I was also THE top-performer for the 6 months I was there (#1 in sales 4 months running, #2 the other two months, high closing %), but unless I hit the bonuses for first sale of the week, or 5 sales by Wednesday, I could never make enough money. 45 hours a week for $600-$750 less expenses put me in a position where I was always looking for other side work. Pretty soon the side work paid more, so I left. There is ZERO customer support - and customers call you because you are their only contact. Management simply did not respond to e-mail and voicemail messages. Until you jump through the performance test hoops, you did not exist. All instruction is by e-mail except for 1 30-minute session per week for Q&A. While there was supposed to be room for advancement, you almost have to go broke waiting for an advanced position to open up.

Advice to Management

Create a customer service position to customers and respond to your email. Less new-age philosophy sessions and more old-school cash and I would probably still be there. And don't recruit based on the bonuses for secondary products when those products don't sell anywhere near the percentages the recruiter states.

2. "Awesome learning from Chet Holmes"

Former Employee - Client Service Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Client Service Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Chet Holmes International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learning from Chet Holmes was awesome -one of the smartest men I knew

Cons

too much politics, managers would not let you move up since they made money off you

Advice to Management

Tony is too greedy and it was a great place to work prior to Tony, stop the politics reward the people paying your salary remember that you were in there shoes once

"A unique opportunuty for true professionals"

Current Employee - Check the Website, Tons of Jobs Available in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Check the Website, Tons of Jobs Available in Boston, MA

I have been working at Chet Holmes International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The training and support this company gives us is second to none. There is litterally no place you can not rise to if you are a talented pro. THe leadership cpnsists of all very successful people with a deep desire to help every client that entrusts with their need for help.

Cons

This is not a place for lightweights. Our clients expect the very best and that's what we strive to deliver, time after time.

Advice to Management

All upper managment is brilliant and always working to be even better. I am very proud to work for this company. I feel we are truly makng a difference in the lives of our cliets.

4. "Essentially a criminal enterprise founded by a sociopathic liar"

Pros

There are no "Pros" The company is a scam, the "job" is a trap, their currency is lies, their mission is pure evil.

Cons

Chet Holmes, (Actually Chester Louis Holmes Jr.) was, as is perfectly stated by another reviewer - a a liar, a fraud and a thief. Possibly the worst person to ever reside outside prison bars or a mental institution. He cheated employees, lied every day, cheated customers, vendors and the government. He stole, he bullied, he exploited, he humiliated. He was a selfish, insane, unscrupulous, unethical, amoral, evil lowlife. His company was [and is] a reflection of himself

Advice to Management

If you are part of management it is probably already too late for you to salvage your self-respect and rejoin decent society, but get out now if you can.

"Chet was a liar a fraud a cheat and a thief. He screwed over his employees and his customers"

I worked at Chet Holmes International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There was some good information in the written material tha the stole from some very bright people.

Cons

An an employee you will be bullied, humiliated and cheated. You will be promised things that never come true.

Advice to Management

The company is a complete scam. Get out while your professional reputation is still intact. Chet at least was a clever hustler - he knew how to turn lies into money for HIS pocket. Now his clueless, untrained and inexperienced Valley Girl young daughter is running the scam and she doesn't know what she is doing. It would be sad if it wasn't so evil.

"Unfortunately the company and new leadership has gone down hill"

I have been working at Chet Holmes International full-time

Pros

When Chet Holmes was alive he kept this company in line. Provided top training to be the best in the industry and demanded it for the benefit of his clients. Former managers cared, pay was good, loyalty, opportunities.

Cons

As of lately, most of the top leaders that were brilliant have left due to the poor direction, strategy (lack of it) and leadership by CEO, Marc Pearl.

I agree with the other reviewer - Talking about any of this openly within the company you will get fired. So many have by speaking up of the poor direction.

It is sad Chet's legacy is dieing, he was brilliant but the new CEO doesn't care and does not get how to run this business or manage people.

Many others feel the same way, seems the only ones that agree with the CEO is the CEO and his new sidekick who is very low level and further deteriorating the organization.

Advice to Management

As other reviewer stated - No, I would not recommend this company to a friend. The company is losing much of its talent hopefully clients will not be hurt.
    The only hope is to get new leadership, and try again.

"Business Breakthroughs International is NOT the same company since Chet Holmes died"

Pros

In the past the company had forward thinking management, that focused on staff, client and product development, especially when Chet Holmes was alive.

Business Breakthrough International's former leadership team really cared about the clients and team members.

Cons

Since Chet Holmes passed away in August 2012, the company has lacked vision, focus, direction and communication from the senior management team most specifically late 2012 to present.

There is a significant lack of communication from Business Breakthroughs leadership team to the field.

The company has parted ways with many top leaders that were there to build the company with Chet and from what we hear, Business Breakthroughs International is not paying monies that were due to many of them.

I saw some complains about that on the board in the past so this is not surprising, and I am not counting on anything for when I leave.

Many of the top people who still remain in the company are leaving and/or working other part-time jobs as company volume, conversions and commissions have been down. If you are looking for many talented people that were well trained, you may want to consider looking at some BBI people.

Talking about any of this openly within the company would put a target on any employees back.

While I do not expect that I will remain with Business Breakthroughs International much longer, I truly hope that they turn things around so that the company becomes a legacy that Chet Holmes would have been proud of.

Also the current CEO of Business Breakthroughs is not the one named below which is why I checked no opinion. I very low regard for the current CEO (Mark), and from what I hear others feel the same way.

Advice to Management

Bring Tony Robbins Robbins Research International team in to take over the management of the company or fully turn it over to Tony so that Business Breakthroughs can continue to not only survive, but thrive.

Get more strategic in direction and focus. Company is lacking vision and focus.

Improve communication with Business Breakthrough Internationals employees.

8. "Command and Control sales management company"

Current Employee - Contracted Position
    Current Employee - Contracted Position

Pros

If you are the kind of person who does things exactly as they want you to, you will do well at BBI.

Cons

Changes come from top down, very little input accepted from below, unless you are a star in their eyes. collaboration and innovation from within is actively discouraged. If your strengths are different than what the top appreciates you will not enjoy working for BBI.

Advice to Management

Take a look at Zappos and follow advice of Tony Hsieh and Tony Robbins in your UBMS, and start using the IQ of the whole organization instead of a small elite.

"BBI is a nice place to meet people and learn some new things, but you wouldn't want to live here"

Pros

Some initial great training opportunities from various masters of business
    Great opportunity to meet lots of smart business people that maintain a loose affiliation with the company

Cons

Not driven by what is in the client's best interest
    Everything revolves around selling a client something more, not delivering
    A lot of what is sold to the client is piece-mail band aids, not real solutions, so the client often can't use the tools effectively. This is particularly true of their Core Story marketing material.
    Although they provide opportunities to learn from a variety of business masters, you don't really use anyone's material in servicing the client except that of Chet Holmes
    All the internal training is focused on how to sell client's more and more and more rather than how to deliver value and help them use what they already bought

Advice to Management

Put the focus on delivering real solutions rather than on strictly selling. If you sold the right tool and solution at the right time with true service to the client as the goal, you'd sell more in the long term

"Opportunities abound that meet lifestyle needs, financial needs and fufillment."

Current Employee - Coaching and Sales
    Current Employee - Coaching and Sales

Pros

Flexibility in working out of the home.
    If you have a great idea, you will be heard. People have a vioice in this company.
    If you do well, there are always other opportunities available to you.
    Constant effort of improvement in protocols, systems, quality control and serving clients.
    Communication from leadership to staff.
    I feel like I am a part of something much bigger.

Cons

Things are always changing so if you like a lot of red tape and everything to be totally structured...this is not the place to work. Very fluid to meet the growth of the company.
    Sometimes gets lonely working out of the home with no opportunities for "water cooler talk".
    This is less a dislike, but the importance that people who do well here are ones that "fit" this entreprenuerial type setting. Those who prefer more structure and less fluidity don't work well in fast-moving, fast-growing environments like this and may be served best working somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep your commitment and communication up! Continue to stay focused on serving BBI clients and keeping them first and our growth will continue!