Chetola Resort Reviews | Glassdoor

Chetola Resort Reviews

Updated Jan 8, 2020

3.5
Chetola Resort Owner Rachael Renar (no image)
Rachael Renar
  1. "Summer Recreation Staff"

I worked at Chetola Resort part-time

Pros

Working in the Recreation Center at Chetola provides employees with a variety of tasks in the summer. It is a fun atmosphere to work in, and the majority of your time is spent providing fun activities for the kids staying at the resort.

Cons

I really don't have any negatives aside from wishing I could have worked more. If I didn't enjoy working with kids, this would not have been the job for me.

Advice to Management

I worked well with the management style at Chetola. They are very trusting in a way that earns respect. You do right by them, and they will do right by you.

Chetola Resort2015-07-28
  2. "Good place to work with fun people"

Current Intern - Rec in Blowing Rock, NC

I have been working at Chetola Resort for less than a year

Pros

I was able to see how the rec center operated and helped plan and implement programs for the kids camp and resort guests.

Cons

I did not use much from what I learned throughout my classes. It seemed like a very simple way to "check the boxes". The pay was low

Advice to Management

Give the interns more hands on work with how the business is ran through budgeting, costs, etc.

Chetola Resort2020-01-08
  3. "Truly a unfortunate work experience I wouldn’t wish on anyone"

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative

I worked at Chetola Resort full-time for more than a year

Pros

The vast majority of staff treat you like family, free meals when events happen, beautiful property with abundant wildlife, discounts on rooms/spa/gift shop/restaurant.

Cons

There is a complete lack of communication within Guest Services itself and also communication between other departments. There is little to no structure or guidance and of course no opportunity for growth. There is no direction on how to grow and chance for promotions or fair raises. Education level and skill seem to have little to do with pay level or job title as favoritism runs rampant and most of upper management lies/plays favorites from my personal experience. Honestly horrible pay for what you are putting up with and the hard working employees don’t get recognized. Everyone wants to act like it’s one big happy Chetola family but the truth is much darker, if you are willing to be put down, told you aren’t good enough, be constantly forced to prove yourself, be ignored, lied to and treated like absolute garbage then this is the place for you!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, treat them fairly and give out equal opportunities to everyone. Don’t play favorites and lie to your employees when they are the glue that holds the resort together. I feel like I wasted my time here and hope no one else makes the same mistake I did. Chetola is the worst place I have ever worked.

Chetola Resort2019-06-24
  4. "Very happy here"

I have been working at Chetola Resort full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

An easy going owner, a beautiful environment and a wonderful staff make it a pleasure to work here!

Cons

Communication is often lacking between departments. Employee reviews are sporadic at best.

Advice to Management

More team meetings, team building activities. Take the time to really acknowledge your staff. Don't neglect staff reviews/evaluations.

Chetola Resort2019-03-21
  5. "Rec. Department"

I worked at Chetola Resort part-time

Pros

Supervisor was great to work for. Always willing to work with staff on scheduling.

Cons

Top management has some problems. They don’t always look at the bigger picture and are very short sided.

Chetola Resort2018-10-30
  6. "A different type of work"

I worked at Chetola Resort

Pros

it is is a beautiful resort to show off to my young children and cousins even after leaving.. but front desk needs major improvement

Cons

favoritism does not belong with any type of management

Advice to Management

schedules followed through with employees, even management)are expected to be met. but it was was not the case during my employment

Chetola Resort2017-12-31
  7. "management assistance"

I worked at Chetola Resort part-time

Pros

great people, good pay, good management, nice place to work

Cons

driving in the winter, lack of advancement

Advice to Management

keep it up!

Chetola Resort2017-10-15

"Fun, but EXTREMELY low pay for what I am giving to this company (sacrificing everything and stressing)."

I have been working at Chetola Resort for more than a year

Pros

Amazing coworkers, friendly guests.

Cons

Extremely low pay for the amount of responsibilities given.

Advice to Management

Pay guest services a minimum of 13+ an hour.. This is literally the face of your resort. Dealing with absolutely every single call and almost every stressful situation that comes upon your property. We are the front line of you, everything is linked to us. I have talked to many co-workers in this department.. Many feel underpaid for working at such a low rate per hour. We are responsible for any issue that occurs at this resort and ARE EXPECTED TO FIX IT AND RESOLVE IT (The "manager" deals with less than 10% of these issues as it ALWAYS falls on hourly employees). Increase the pay significantly for the face of YOUR company.. we are what you see when you walk through these (new) $8000 glass doors and are responsible for every single mishap. Pay us more for this responsibility.. It is extremely stressful and it is the reason the for the high turnover rate in guest services, Literally 4 people have been here a year or longer (that do not make salary). There is a big issue with the management and fairness of pay. We are not being paid for what we are being expected of. Increase this and you will see more dedicated employees.

Chetola Resort2017-10-02
  9. "Great employer for the area"

in Blowing Rock, NC

I worked at Chetola Resort for less than a year

Pros

Easy access to management, membership to recreation center for family, property discounts,

Cons

Understaffed in Management, stressful atmosphere

Advice to Management

Get more management so that current managers can explore new guest advancements and communicate to employees.

Chetola Resort2017-05-20
  10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boone, NC

I have been working at Chetola Resort full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wholesome private company with owners that really care about you. This is a beautiful and unique place to work where everyone is family. Great insurance plan.

Cons

Pay is not up to industry standard for management/high responsibility positions. No sick days, only vacation time and few paid holidays.

Chetola Resort2016-11-19