Chevron Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
James Mooney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. Featured Review

"Not too big, not too small"

Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management and senior leadership team actually takes the time to get to know each new person. It is a non-profit which means that people are not just focused on making money and want to do good work. Good ethics and values. Nice size company - not so large that it's difficult to see the impact of your work but large enough that it has resources/benefits like many large organizations. Great culture.

Cons

Does not pay as well as other financial institutions because it is a non-profit.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

Jun 29, 2017 – VP HR

We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying it here! You did an excellent job of capturing the CFCU experience.

2. "CFCU"

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great CEO who is actively engaged.

Cons

Lots of meetings and projects.

Jul 21, 2017 – VP HR

Lots of projects can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Projects generally mean progress, but they do also involve plenty of meetings! Our Project Management Organization is working to improve... More

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Medium size company where you can have a voice and impact. Flat organization with access to all levels of management. Good work/life balance. Technology is well ahead of other credit unions. Ability to work with and in all areas of the company which adds to your experience and knowledge. Call Center is not a sweat-shop like other companies, very well run and management listens to their concerns and is very open to improvements.

Cons

As with any Medium-size company, it has less opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Management

Grow the company, either by acquisition or bringing in new organizations/companies.

Jul 21, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for the advice. Our new membership business development team is already working on bringing new organizations into our field of membership, and we expect to see growth from those efforts soon!

4. "Engagement and growth"

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

CFCU is not a large organization and there is not always opportunity to advance due to their size, though I have experienced and have witnessed several opportunities to advance when positions due come available. The organization does offer a leadership development program and has been conscious of developing their internal staff.

Cons

Location and traffic could be a deterrent.

Jun 19, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for this feedback. The location of our corporate office is very convenient for those using BART, but depending on where you're coming from, traffic can indeed be challengingfor those who... More

5. "Could be a good fit in the right position"

I worked at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Benefits are pretty good. Some departments work with their employees very well. Are willing to spend time training and working with employees

Cons

Sometimes it was hard to get assistance from above. I was asked to relocate to keep my job, but it was in IT, so it should have been possible for me to work remotely.

May 31, 2017 – VP HR

I'm a little confused about this because our IT department has always been based in the SF Bay Area and we've never asked anyone to relocate out of the area. But thanks for the feedback!

6. "Professional But Fun Too!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love that CFCU is not a bank, so I can feel good about what I do. The credit union exist for one reason, to serve our members. We are big enough to have robust systems and products, but without the shady practices at some financial institutions. It still feels like a family here. The company puts on Team Spirit events and I love the meetings with the CEO where I get to speak my mind. I also feel like the company respects my life outside of work.

Cons

Having a specific field of membership (mainly Chevron employees) limits some opportunities.

Advice to Management

Expand the CEO meetings to include other senior managers.

May 31, 2017 – VP HR

I completely agree! And I will definitely convey your advice to the other members of senior management.

7. "WHAT IT IS LIKE TO WORK FOR CHEVRON FED. CRED. UNION"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Chevron Federal Credit Union offers great benefits. Aside from 401K matching, they also give profit sharing added to 401K PLUS cash bonus every year. Paid time off is very generous as well. Also, they reward loyal employees with 1 month sabbatical with pay after 10 year. I am hoping to retire in this company.

The only reason I am not giving it a 5 star is it is not perfect. That's all.

Cons

Can't think of any cons

May 31, 2017 – VP HR

Sorry we're not perfect, but glad to hear our comp and benefits are appreciated!

8. "This company ROCKS!"

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

I love working here! It feels great to be apart of a company that cares about it's customers, I mean really cares. My colleagues and I enjoy providing top notch service to our customers. From Customer Service to Lending, every department takes pride in their work and providing the best for our customers. I look forward to seeing my co-workers everyday, they are like my family away from home. Don't get me started on Senior Management. We have a terrific Senior Management Team and our President & CEO is out of this world. I have not met a more humble, down to earth CEO in my life who truly cares about his employees and company and strives to keep up going and growing!

Cons

I cannot think of any

Apr 19, 2017 – VP HR

Thank you for the kind words!

"IT"

Current Employee - IT - Infra Team in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - IT - Infra Team in Oakland, CA

Pros

A very good place to work and grow. Competitive salary, a lot of room to grow within the company.

Cons

As far as I can see, I did not found any cons within my department. Everyone is a team player. Our manager knows how to drive from the front. VP of IT is a gem. He knows everything about IT.

Advice to Management

Management is good. Always listens to the employees. We have an ongoing meeting with our CEO, Jim twice a year, which is very helpful to understand our needs and concerns. CEO of the company is very polite and always listens to our advice and takes appropriate actions to resolve our issues.

Apr 26, 2017 – VP HR

Hey thanks! I'll mention this to Sachin too - I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

10. "One of the best credit unions!"

I have been working at Chevron Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Friendly work environment and overall a good company to work for.

Cons

Additional incentives have been cut to nearly nothing and hard to move up in company as many positions have been filled for years so you have to wait for advancement. I am willing to wait and work my way up, just cannot give a full 5 star rating due to incentives and doesn't feel like we have a voice to higher management.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate incentive plans.

Apr 17, 2017 – VP HR

Thanks for providing your insights! We changed a couple of incentive plans this year and monthly payouts have been lower than anticipated for the first few months. Please bear with us; managment is... More