Chevron Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle once you enter into management (in 43 reviews)

• Age discrimination for older employees during downturn in oil and gas (in 29 reviews)

"Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store Management in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Store Management in Fresno, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Moderate pace of work
    Ability to work OT

Cons

Low compensation for manager
    Management is a joke

"No upward mobility"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Chevron (More than a year)

Pros

None none none none none

Cons

Dead end job. Ok as a second job

"Chevron has devolved into a dysfunctional bureaucracy"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Culture was great when I started. They encouraged growth, training, and opportunity--but that's mostly ended. However, there's still a desire to keep that in place which is something at least.
    -The 401k match AND pension are pretty much unmatched at any other employer I've heard of.
    -The 9/80 work schedule (one day off every two weeks) is great

Cons

-Constant reorganizations, downsizing, job offshoring make this a pretty stressful, unsatisfying place to work as a US based employee.
    -No rhyme or reason to the yearly evaluation process or raises/promotions. People are paid in payscales (PSGs), which are based more on luck and how well you've schmoozed than the actual job you're doing. One person may be paid $100k to do a job, get back filled by someone making $150k (cause that's what they made previously), and then the next person in the role may only earn $90k. I've seen it happen countless times. It doesn't matter how qualified you are to do a particular job, if you haven't locked in the next PSG you don't get paid more to do higher level jobs. I can't stress enough how damaging this process is to morale.
    -Ridiculous cost cutting at every turn.
    -Some people phone it in every day, and others at the same payscale work ridiculous hours. Again, pay has nothing to do with the difficulty of the job or how hard you work. I have friends at Chevron who spend half their day on the internet, others who work until 1 am several times a month. All get paid roughly the same amount.
    -Recent MBA grads keep getting stuffed into the career ladder at the mid-management payscales meaning nobody else has any chance at getting promoted above senior analyst roles. This is something that picked up steam around 2012 and has caused a lot of friction internally. Despite constant offshoring, they haven't scaled back on these programs.
    -People are streaming for the exit. Of the 20 or so people at my level that I'm friends with outside of work, at least 12 have said they're passively looking for other jobs--and 6 of them have left in the last 18 months.
    -The CEO seems like a good guy, but the vibe of the company completely changed when he took over a few years ago. Could just be a coincidence cause I don't have anything against him personally and can't point to anything specific.

Advice to Management

Take an honest look at how you're running the Finance organization. It used to be a great part of the company with a lot of bright people, but it's collapsing in on itself. Cost cutting isn't the only metric of success. Promoting from within and giving more opportunity to top performers would go a long way.

Lastly, pay people to do a job, not based on the payscale grade they happen to be at. If you place someone in a higher level job, compensate them accordingly. Take a look at the development programs. There are far too many people going through them, and they're making gobs of money on the program, only to have half of them leave immediately after finishing. It's wasted money that would be much better spent on people who have been loyal employees for years.

"Ergo-crazy"

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown on bus line; sit & stand desk

Cons

Stupid software that controls your typing speed, makes you stop working if you have worked too many minutes in a row; only allows so much work/day before computer turns off

Advice to Management

get rid of software; it is decreasing productivity

"Human Resourses"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Covington, LA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Covington, LA

I worked at Chevron full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money, Money, Money and benefits

Cons

do not trust management they eat their own

Advice to Management

Its about human energy too

"Designs Engineer"

Former Employee - Designs Engineer in Playa del Rey, CA
    Former Employee - Designs Engineer in Playa del Rey, CA

I worked at Chevron (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, great location, ability to relocate, great benefits, great 401k package

Cons

Dangerous work and exposure to chemicals.

"Company has great things to offer. But managing skill for some leaders are just horrible."

Former Employee - HES Specialist in Midland, TX
    Former Employee - HES Specialist in Midland, TX

I worked at Chevron full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good. Work life balance is great. Work culture is decent. Will support continuous education. Employees look happy.

Cons

Huge Nepotism HUGE !!!! You can have no school education and don't know NOTHING and still make the cut if you know how to don a good pair of knee pads !!!!

Advice to Management

Cut the B.S. and all the favoritism especially in Midland Tx office

9. "Chevron Going Downhill"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, good salary, 9/80 schedule.

Cons

Downsizing a lot every year due to oil prices, VERY old school, not innovative, some groups are terrible and petty with strict rules.

Losing lots of career opportunities for younger folks. It is very hard to survive there if you haven't been around for 20+ years.

Advice to Management

Make sure you treat everyone equally and make sure different opco's are not doing shady things to their employees. Confused how some opco's can have such a bad reputation and still be running.

"when times are good, they are very good"

Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Cypress, TX

I worked at Chevron (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place to work if you have the right manager.

Cons

Hell on earth in the middle of an economic downturn, especially with the wrong manager.

Advice to Management

Manager discretion can be a great thing. However, it was applied in such a way that HR and upper management didn't get the truth on several occasions. It was easier to leave than to fight the system (i.e. a bad manager). Supervisor training stresses that people don't leave companies, they leave supervisors. You are right. We were under intense pressure to drum up charges against some people while letting others get away with all kinds of days working from home and leaving early to be with their families. Some people could curse repeatedly while others could not say a harsh word or be reprimanded. Anyone attempting to even out the application of this discretion was the "problem" and then on the wrong side of things. Management needs to know it is a great company and we appreciated all they did for us over the years. I hated to leave.

"Database administrator"

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chevron (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work life balance plus benefits

Cons

Politics within the company - who knows who

Showing 106 of 1,873 reviews