Chevron Reviews | Glassdoor

John S. Watson

1,714 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not always able to attain work life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Chevron is an oil and gas company with various Industry fluctuations (in 32 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Lawyer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Lawyer in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Excellent opportunities to progress in your career. The work in my department is highly sophisticated and challenging. Management is supportive and encourages you to do your best work. Work - Life balance is excellent.

Cons

Sometimes big corporations are not responsive to individual needs. Leaders make mistakes and sometimes refuse to change course.

Advice to Management

I think Senior Management is doing a fine job, for the most part.

2. "Excellent place to work."

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

Pros

its easy going, laid back while having challenging work. Benefits are top notch

Cons

if you are not in the business it can be hard to some long term planning

Advice to Management

nothing at this point

3. "Great company, good management"

Current Employee - Team Leader, IT in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader, IT in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron has a really collaborative work environment and everyone is willing to help you if you ask for help. Chevron has also let me move from job to job across organizations so I could get a variety of experiences and I have been given a variety of challenging jobs. Generally top management is also very good. The flexible work schedules are also excellent. I especially like getting every second Friday off.

Cons

Like many companies, the quality of first line supervisors and middle management is hit and miss. If you work for a great supervisor you have a great time. If not, then not so good. None of the supervisors are bad but some don't really do a good job managing newer employees. Also, the whole company is extremenly busy and its easy to lose your work-life balance if you aren't careful.

Advice to Management

Be more creative and invest more in alternatives to oil and gas.

"Great company with a few growing pains...."

Current Employee - IT Professional in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Opportunities galore! Training is great and the most people are fun.

Cons

The AGE gap between the new hires and people who have been here since the down of time! The old timers don't share knowledge and/or good job assignments. They give the new hires the "busy" work and work they have been putting off for the last 10 years. Very hard to deal with the "you have to work here for 25 years to be a manager" crowd.

Advice to Management

Open your minds to other ways of doing things! Give us new hires an opportunity to show you we CAN do it!

"Great opportunities to pursue different roles within one, well managed company. Great focus on employee development."

Current Employee - IT Professional in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Really smart people, lots of opportunity to learn new things, change roles/jobs within one company, work internationally. They really focus on developing their employees and on supporting employee networks, especially diversity networks. Feel very supported on work/life balance issues and have been able to have multiple different alternative work schedules over the years. Strong focus on safety of employees and office ergonomics to prevent injury.

Cons

Can be slow moving to change, so large it can be hard to feel like you know a lot of people. At times, can be bureaucratic. Really complex industry that has a steep learning curve.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your employees. Put in more mechanisms to have a bottom up flow of information. This will be essential for relating to and empowering the younger generation.

"A great place to work as long as you are aware of the challenges."

Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Business Partner in San Ramon, CA

Pros

From the top down the company promotes and supports ethical decisions and actions. High ethics can be hard to find in the oil industry. It may sound cheesy but the entire value system is very highly regarded if your personal values match the company values you will find it easier to navigate the company politics.

Another pro is that there is a major generation change happening right now with lots of retirements across the company. That means lots of opportunities for upward mobility. If you show early on that you are a hard worker who is also committed to Chevron values (the Chevron Way), delivers high quality work and enjoys being part of a team you will get noticed and put on a fast track for promotions or at least good raises.

For those that may not have the need to continually move up the ladder there are many technical jobs available that encourage good quality work but without the need to move around or always increase rank.

Many opportunities for travel and high support for continued education in your field.

Cons

For an ambitious Gen X or Y employee it can be tough dealing with the old guard and good ole boys network in the south. Not so bad if you work in CA or get placed out of the US.

Very caucasian company in the US that can get a little lonely for people of color. The leadership says the right things and I think they really do believe in diversity. But I think someone forgot to tell middle management what they should be doing and why.

Salary is ok but depending on your location the cost of living could eat it up very quick.

Across the board there is a big disconnect between executive leaders-middle managers-front line employees.

Advice to Management

The most important thing is to focus more on the development of new tallent. We have a lot of bright, new, young employees that we could loose if we do not think of new and innovative ways to retain their tallent. We are unique in the oil industry because we care about our employees but we may loose that competative edge if we don't start committing more energy and resources to keeping young employees, female employees and employees of color.

7. "Human energy is true"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in San Ramon, CA

Pros

The people is the best to work with. People care about you in the office.

Cons

Lack of direction ahead from management down to employee on terms of direction and where to set priority

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to mentoring

8. "MY kind of company, I have found my "home""

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

Pros

Management truly wants you to continue to learn and there are endless possibilities if you have a degree and are willing to go above and beyond the defined scope of your job. The people that work there are fantastic - I have never had such wonderful coworkers. My supervisor has 15+ years in Oil & Gas and is the most intelligent person I have worked for. Sitting through meetings with some of the upper management present really makes you feel proud to be at Chevron. I have had some great jobs and impressive supervisors, but nothing like what I have at Chevron. When I was hired, sitting through orientation and seeing the Chevron logo on the podium, on the powerpoint slides...I really had to sit back and take it all in. I REALLY was working at Chevron. It has become my 2nd family and I love going to work everyday. I plan to be there until I'm at least 65...I will never look outside of Chevron for another position.

Cons

It was hard to jump from the non-exempt to exempt pay grade. Exempt employees have excellent career development opportunities and development plans are detailed.

Advice to Management

To give non-exempt employees a little more credit. Most of the non-exempt coworkers I had were degreed, intelligent individuals that are just starting their career at Chevron and are excited about working their way up.

9. "Balanced judgement; highest ethics"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference in helping meet Nation's energy challenges

Cons

Pressures to be cost effective have lead to some over-outsourcing actions

Advice to Management

Continue to communicate challenges faced by the industry

10. "Come for the experience, stay for the people."

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

Pros

The People - very friendly
    The Work Atmosphere - very relaxed
    The Experience - get a lot of experience in different areas in a short amount of time

Cons

The Location - limit locations, if you don't like Texas or California you're SOL

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with employees on the direction the company/department/their career is taking. Don't just spring weird job assignment moves on them.

Showing 1,714 of 1,980 reviews