Chevron Reviews | Glassdoor

Chevron Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle once you enter into management (in 43 reviews)

• Chevron is an oil and gas company with various Industry fluctuations (in 31 reviews)

"Solid place to work"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Management in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Lots of career opportunities.
    High performers recognized.
    Strong company values.

Cons

Too consensus driven. Lack of accountability for management decisions.

Advice to Management

No advice at this time.

"Great place to work until you get close to age 50--then you become disposable."

Former Employee - Global Process Coordinator in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Global Process Coordinator in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Compensation, benefits, challenging projects and a flexible working environment.

Cons

They tend to throw people away after age 50.

Advice to Management

Stop downsizing people who still have 10-12 years to contribute just because they make the most money and it's the simplest way to reduce the bottom line.

3. "Good diverse place with growth oppurtunities"

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Diversity , professional , integrity, trust

Cons

Bureacracy approach, too much compliance training

Advice to Management

Be aggressive in adopting new technology

5. "Chevron is a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, LA

Pros

The best reason to work for Chevron are that they pay way, great benefits and locations across the world to work. Supervisors are very understanding when you need to take time off or leave early/come late to work. I've never been questioned. There are many opportunities for growth and our bonuses/success sharing has always been great. I've definitely learned that working for Chevron is better than working at most other companies out there.

Cons

Many employees feel we should get a larger discount on gas and perhaps, when using our own debit/credit cards and not only when using a Chevron gas card. They are many, many processes and barrier to go through when trying to get things done. It can take a very, very long time to get something implemented.

Advice to Management

To listen to the suggestions and comments of the employees, especially during townhalls.

6. "Chevron is a good company."

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

It is a very big company with large amount of opportunities to advance and try new thing. Benefits are really good. The 401 K match is second to none. There is also pension. The atmosphere of tolerance is promoted. There is a great deal of work life balance. The amount of resources is vast. I really like the tools available to you for looking up different technical information, book travel and submit expenses. Most of Senior Management are very impressive and smart people, and they can be real role models.

Cons

I thing Chevron can improve on technical development of facilities engineers. In general company would benefit from accountability and team work between different departments. Some departments are overgrown. Some departments that are very critical are understaffed.

Advice to Management

To develop technical and project management skills of facilities engineers

7. "Chevron is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron is safety oriented; they put safety first for their employees. This benefits both the employee and the company. Every employee is empowered to stop any job if they see something unsafe.
    Another thing that impresses me is their Recognition and Award program; every employee is encouraged to recognize and award a peer for a job well done. Everyone really likes to receive these awards; people seem to try harder to do their best for everyone.
    Our department is really concerned about Work/Life balance. Within our department, most are on a 9/80 schedule which means we have every other Friday off. Most employees really look forward to that 3-day weekend. When I need time off, it is usually not a problem to get my supervisor's approval. They encourage people to stay home if the weather is hazardous or if you or a family member is sick.
    Chevron is a great place to work!

Cons

I have had a challenge to find a new career opportunity; I have been an admin for a number of years and am ready to try something different. Most jobs at Chevron require a specialized degree; my degree is in Business; I am sure I will find something; I just have to be diligent in my search.

Advice to Management

I think senior management is doing a great job; they keep us informed and I am impressed with their leadership.

"It's alright."

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Work-Life Balance. You can set your own schedule around the core hours of 9-3 which is great if you commute in Houston.
    Lots of potential for global assignments. Residential or rotational assignment exist on every continent.

Cons

Good ole boys network. If you not in the inner circle you'll always be a step or two behind in advancement and promotions.
    They might promote Human Energy, etc, but at the end of the day employee's will take a back seat to the business and the gpeople making the decisions out in California.

Advice to Management

The company revolves around more people than its US based employees.

9. "Strong company with strong people."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Ramon, CA

Pros

Coming from another oil company, I have had an opportunity to compare/contrast the company culture and work experience.....and Chevron comes ahead, hands down. I enjoyed my previous company and did well there, but Chevron's commitment to their employees and stockholders while maintaining corporate integrity has been inspirational.

Like others mentioned, there are lots of opportunities to move up within Chevron if you are a strong performer, especially if you are mobile. I have heard from many people that once you are in, it's hard to get fired unless you are a really poor performer - they are more apt to "reshuffle" you than let you go. That, unfortunately, does lead to some people still with the company that should be eliminated.

Overall the company employs a high caliber of talent - people who enjoy their work and are extremely loyal to the company. They love the company so much they end up hiring their relatives and friends - there are a high percentage of people I have met that are somehow related to another employee (hence the nepotism mentioned in another post).

Cons

Salary pay is very competitive compared to other oil companies, although annual pay increases are on the modest side. While I don't 100% agree with the "good ol' boy" network comments others have made, I do agree that management typically promotes those that have qualities and characteristics similar to them. You don't need to be in the "in crowd" to get promoted, but you should have a personality and style similar to those higher ups.

It is also actively up to the employee to determine their future - the company expects people to network if they want a position, it doesn't get handed to you. This is where some "schmoozers" get ahead of the quiet bees.

Advice to Management

Continue being honest and upfront with employees, even if the news is bad. Really live the Chevron Way - don't make it mindless rhetoric.

10. "Chevron from a Birdseye View"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Chevron has a vision of integrity, honesty, and trust and for cultivating the most competent and diverse employees. There's a lot of opportunity for advancement, and the compensation and benefits are great. There's also a lot of trust between employees and Senior Leadership. Chevron also regularly communicates with employees through both web-based conferences and face-to-face meetings between Senior Leadership and all employees. We always have a good idea about the happenings in the company, and that's a great feeling.

Cons

There's a lot of fear with the company's stability in relation to the current economic state. The price of oil is directly related to the company's budget and ability to retain staff. Right now, we're not sure what's going to happen, and that's causing a lot of tension and anxiety with many.

Advice to Management

Management could do more to increase employee morale in these uncertain times. Employee recognition and feedback are also hot points with many. As an administrator I come into contact with more employees than most, and my advice would be for Senior Management to create a stronger connection with their employees. Morale is most important right now.

11. "Chevron provides a workplace for a satisfying career."

Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in Richmond, CA

Pros

Work is relevant and important. There are opportunities to work in different areas of the business and in different technologies over the course of a career. The benefits include a yearly bonus, excellent contributions to a 401K, and a pension plan. Employees participate in a yearly survey and the results ot the survey are taken seriously. Advancement within the company is possible. Chevron's facilities and equipment are operated safety and reliably. Alternative work schedules are available and widely used.

Cons

There is still a "Good Old Boys" culture in some parts of the organization. The pace is fast and the workload can cause significant stress and long work hours.

Advice to Management

Focus on both long term and short term objectives. Implement new technologies successfully. Continue the work to impove the public's impression of the company.