Want a Free Job Posting?

• Richmond, CA
  • Any Status
Chevron Chairman and CEO John S. Watson
John S. Watson

• Work life balance can be difficult to handle (in 22 reviews)

• Layoffs are the downside to working in the oil and gas industry (in 15 reviews)

Need Supervisor Approval to Get Internet - WTF?

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Richmond, CA

Chevron has a very strong safety culture. I feel that management really cares about my well-being. There are lots of projects to work on and plenty of work to do. Especially if you are proactive. People at the refinery are very nice and down to earth. (However, it is my understanding that this is not the same at the corporate headquarters in San Ramon,CA). Management often asks for people's opinions in meetings. Management seems to show interest in your career path, and wants what is best for you. People don't find issue when you need to take time off for personal matters. They are very understanding.

First - You have to request Internet Access from your supervisor. No one on my team has Internet Access, so I feel lame being the only making a stink about it. My understanding is that you have to have a valid business reason to have it. I'm a recent college grad, and this kind of thinking is nuts! I feel cut off from the world. I'm actually thinking about leaving because this is really a big deal for me. People can be way too political. I often hear "did you get approval" to do this or that. I feel like they don't encourage people to think for themselves. They're so concerned about following processes and procedures to stop and think if it's the best way to get the job done.

Advice to Management

Allow Internet access without supervisor approval.

Showing 1 of 1,131 review