Chevron Shipping Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Fantastic experience"

Former Contractor - Marine Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Contractor - Marine Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Chevron Shipping as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company is so professional in maritime sector. Ships are excelent, work is excelent, co-workers are so good in their jıbs and the management is incredible

Cons

You have to adjust your self for diversity. Anyway, if you are planning to work in an international company you have already overcome this kind of things.

Advice to Management

I worked in Chevron vessels as a marine engineer between 2005-2012. Now I am technical superintendent in a shipping company which has LPG vessels. I reached here by using my experties that I gain in Chevron. Hope to work with you one day again. Our path will cross again. My best wishes. Ahmet Evren ALTUNKESE

2. "All different divisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Chevron Shipping full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good solid company with great benefits

Cons

Very click ish for promotions and assignments

Advice to Management

tend to rotate among the same EE's > musical chairs
    Best to try to post out to another OpCo

3. "Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Chevron Shipping full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and great pay

Cons

Leadership needs improvement. Micromanagement. Lip service about about open and transparent communication. Lot of good leaders have left. It's not fun to work there anymore.

Advice to Management

Could use a lesson on putting people first from Mr. Dave O'reilly.

"Mildly happy"

Current Employee - Able-Bodied Seaman in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Able-Bodied Seaman in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good pay with great benefits, 90/75 rotation.

Cons

Chevron is too afraid to fire underperforming employees, which leads to every one getting treated like children. Good employees leave often for other opportunities and the lazy ones stay. Also, increasing food prices, without an increased food budget.

Advice to Management

Fire people. Some people suck and don't deserve the pay and benefits they receive here at chevron. They can get another job from the SUP hall and fit right in at MSC.

"Good company, but had to go!"

Former Employee - Charterer
    Former Employee - Charterer

Pros

The top reason for working at Chevron Shipping is probably visibility, which will help you to land satisfactorily into your next position. Also, from a technical perspective, some very interesting tools are made available to you, which can be quite rewarding in terms of adding to one's experience and knowledge. There is no doubt that the company has been able to assemble a large group of very qualified professionals, with which it is very nice to interact on a daily basis. There is frequent mobility amongst those professionals, which propitiates good exchange of experience and information - most managing positions are given to individuals already within the company.

Cons

Excessive workload and too many meetings. Little room is left for individual decision making.

Advice to Management

Allow more room for the professionals within the company to make decisions: they have experience enough!

"Mostly miserable after 3 years"

I have been working at Chevron Shipping full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some training in advanced navigation skills and piloting tank ships. However, training received was not acceptable to any international standards and needed to be repeated.

Cons

Tasks not within job description. Over hours and unpaid for it because of salary. Company is afraid to fire incompetent sailors, from the top down, in fear of legal retribution. Pollution regulations not understood. Redundant paperwork. Redundant corporate redundancy. When I quit, for very valid reasons, exit interview was a mess, just going through the motions. Cut medical, retirement, and vacation I had earned without a phone call. Required to sail when they call you or they cut your benefits the day your vacation ends without overlap!

Advice to Management

You have the worst name in the American Maritime industry. Stop the corporate paranoia, take advice from experienced Masters, and use a real straight up American union contracts, not a circus sideshow of medical and optional union membership. You can rebuild your name but I have no faith that will ever happen. Keep hiring the Brits to run what used to be an American corporation. Keep hiring foreign labor and undermining the American Maritime work force. Keep building foreign flag ships and forget the history that built the company that now operates paranoid.

7. "Marine Engineer"

Pros

Working with pros, getting huge experience. Excellent Safety policy.

Cons

No cons to mention from my side.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for young officers

8. "It was an interesting experience"

Former Employee - Second Officer in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Second Officer in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Chevron Shipping full-time (More than a year)

Pros

An ownership company, which values it's values and mission statement more than profits. Take care about it's employee. A very good company who can adapt to the system and plan for a life long career.

Cons

Some times following the rules by the book does not work in practical life. Persons who have adopted to this environment would find it difficult to work in another company, if circumstances arises

"Chevron"

Former Employee - Second Assistant Engineer
    Former Employee - Second Assistant Engineer

I worked at Chevron Shipping full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A company which takes care of its employees, and focuses a lot on the safety aspect.
    Could be because, to save itself from litigation's

Cons

Too much paperwork to do a simple job. Overdoes the safety thing. Quality of life on board ships can be better

"Was a very good learning experience for me, especially as it was my first time out to sea."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Chevron Shipping as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safety work ethics played a big part in making sure we got back home in one piece, There was also a mind set that gave us confidence in the company and made it easier to focus on the job at hand

Cons

Way too much paper work. I'm sure there are simpler and more efficient ways to ensure operations are carried out safely and correctly. There is a lot of tension caused mainly due to the paper work, more so than due to the actual operation