Chicago Apartment Finders Reviews | Glassdoor

Justin Elliott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Leasing Agent"

Former Employee - Leasing Agent in Chicago, IL

Pros

fast paced, assigned a mentor to help you, provide education on working with people and education about Chicago, you can make as much money as you want, great company culture - met a lot of friends for life there, very autonomous, recently bought out buy Coldwell Banker which will probably help improve their processes and room to grow

Cons

Commission based (can be pro or con, but it is costly for your first month or so), can be unorganized so you have to stay on top of your deals and push them through, if you do not like fast paced commission based jobs then this is not for you, work on weekends, summer is the busiest time, seasonal

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees that you see can go a long way, maybe offer a draw so that great employees can grow with the company and will not quit because they can not afford it

2. "Not a bad way to enter the real estate business"

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of leads, fairly easy to close

Cons

Driving "lookers" who aren't really interested in renting, low commission splits

Advice to Management

Boost the splits and allow agents more autonomy in how many units they show

3. "Summer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great for gaining sales experience. You really need to be a go getter and organized. Can work at your own pace and set your own hours (the more fast paced and more available you are the more money you'll make.

Cons

You will have to drive a lot to show apartments. There is a huge learning curve with this job. Clients may not always be ideal and there isn't much that can be done because of certain laws. All commission no base.

Advice to Management

Management there is phenomenal. They are extremely helpful and have no problem answering any question that may arise.

4. "It was GREAT, but not so much anymore..."

Former Employee - Realtor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Realtor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hands down the best job ever had! It was 100% commission, but every single person in the office was dedicated to helping everyone else be successful. It was a ver collaborative team concept. I became a Licensed REALTOR & spent 3 years absolutely loving my job, helping folks from all over the place find their new apartments in Chicago! It was a tremendous opportunity that I only wish I had found earlier in my career.

Cons

The company was acquired by Coldwell Banker in 2015, and it has been downhill ever since. Unfortunately, it may just be a symptom of the times. CAF had the largest database and they were the largest locating service in the industry, but with all the free posting sites and the increasing rents throughout the city, it was apparent for about 6 months before I left that the industry was changing and CAF wasn't positioned well for the change.

Probably still a good entry level sales position, but I had to leave, there just was no money to be made like there was when I started.

Advice to Management

Hire a dedicated, motivated, sales trainer. Begin to invest in the motivated brokers that you have, form broker teams and transition heavily into real estate sales as opposed to focusing on rental.

5. "I'm one of many salaried management positions"

Current Employee - Management/Administrative Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Management/Administrative Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Apartment Finders full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, friendly office environment, good amount of freedom. Casual environment seems to work well keeping a tight-knit culture. There always seems to be something to do - never bored.

Cons

Research shows I could be getting paid more elsewhere. A lot of important changes are kept secret frequently. Conflicting/contradictory rules at times.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. Pay senior employees competitive wages.

6. "Amazing co-workers, great company!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders (More than a year)

Pros

Best co-workers I have ever worked with in my career! Supportive, encouraging individuals maintaining a successful real estate business in the heart of Lakeview.

Cons

I have no cons to share. Wonderful experience overall!

7. "Short sighted management"

Former Employee - Sys Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sys Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders (More than a year)

Pros

Fun community atmosphere, lots of college students.

Cons

Minimal operations budget, lots of college students.

8. "Great place to get started"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent overall company that has a fun environment

Cons

Nothing out of the ordinary-- all jobs have these

Advice to Management

Pay More

9. "Get what you give"

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people (fellow brokers) are a pleasure to work with and the office spaces are nice and modern, or at least modern enough. No desk fees or license hanging fees. Overall did not have a terrible experience with the company, but rather the job itself.

Cons

Super competitive; if you don't think you want to be in real estate, you probably shouldn't take a job here. Despite doing a bulk of business through leasing and apartment rentals, everyone was required to get a full brokers license, which can be costly if it's not what you want to do with your life. Company advocates and pushes the hard sell.

Advice to Management

Fewer interns in the summer would allow those who are working this as a full time gig to build their client book, and properties would be easier to show.

10. "Amazing place"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Apartment Finders full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management. Coworkers. Work environment. Benefits.
    I loved so much about working at this company. Everyone for the most part is very friendly and easy to talk to. If you ever have a problem they are more than willing to hear you out. You never feel irrelevant there. I only left because I moved to another state.

Cons

The only problem that I had is that they did not pay that much but quite honestly, at that point in my life it was better to get ok and work in a great place with advancement opportunities than to work in a crappy place with more pay where you leave every day hating your job.

Advice to Management

Maybe consider raising the pay a bit. It is Chicago after all and it is not cheap to live there! Other than that, keep doing what you are doing.