Chicago Public Schools Chicago Public School Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Chicago Public School Teacher Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2019

4.0
Chicago Public Schools Chief Executive Officer Janice Jackson  (no image)
Janice Jackson
0 Rating
  1. "first year salary 2018"

Current Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

benefits, culture, admin, great values

Cons

large classes, class schedules, hours worked, travel

Chicago Public Schools2019-08-07
  2. "Bittersweet experience, I gave a lot of myself, time as well as money to a career that I feel gave back little reward."

Former Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Children need educating and somebody has got to do it. The personal reward is great when you see the glow of children succeeding. While you are doing the day-to-day job you are often misunderstood, over whelmed, and taken for granted. Later on in life is when the children and parents recognize either what you did or tried to do. Basically, it's a dead end, thankless job that's filled with enormous responsibility and stress. It's easy to get fired or laid off. But there is still something in some people that makes them want to be teachers. They love teaching.

Cons

Chicago Public Schools do not support a culture of valuing the teachers. Their concerns and opinions are ignored most of the time in favor of someone else; almost everyone else, including the students. On an airplane you are told to put the mask on the adults first, so that they can save the children. In Public Schools, the teachers are not empowered to save the children, it's children first. As a result you have too much disrespect, violence and chaos in the classrooms. No real protection or real help for teachers and the Teachers Union is totally weak. No help. Liberal Arts education is devalued. Teaching was once an art, now it's a science, which means Now it's teach to the test. No real need for art, music or sports. Basically, it's Technology and Math, not enough focus for various types of writing. Many schools do not teach cursive writing and there is very little focus on learning to spell. Unhealthy and unfair to the gifted artists, gifted musicians, gifted writers, and gifted sports enthused students. What quality of life will we have without them and their development?

Advice to Management

Every year the colleges and universities change the requirements for being a teacher, causing teachers to always be in a flux with their requirements for upgrading themselves in the field of education. Older teachers, many of which are excellent and healthy, take early retirements just to avoid the hassles of being told your college credits are to old or you need to take another test. Who can afford to pay out of pocket to constantly re-do class work and take tests? So now you don't have, and don 't seem to want the experienced worker. Most of the current teachers are either young or new, even though there is no set age limit for retirement. Where is the honor in growing older in the field of education? There is none. Lifetime career? It was once possible. Now not probable.

Chicago Public Schools2015-03-30
  3. "Good benefits but not a fan of the "Wellness Program""

Current Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

The benefits package as well as time off during the holiday season are a couple of the definite pluses. Some of the students are really intelligent and very warm and caring. The teachers are hard working (to say the least) and dedicated to the academic growth and personal well being of students.

Cons

In order to keep up with all of the demands the hours are long. Too long. Some people are great at balancing and don't mind working from home on evenings and weekends in order to stay on top of things but I find it difficult. It seems like no matter what you do there is always more to be done and that you're never really "finished" with anything. Summers off aren't a perk - they are quite necessary to the mental health of educators.

Chicago Public Schools2014-11-19
  4. "Rewarding but frustrating."

Current Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Teaching kids is very rewarding

Cons

During the 12 years I have worked for Chicago Public Schools I have only had 1 principal who was a true professional. This job is very demanding. I don't take my personal life to work and I expected not to bring my work life home. Taking time off to be sick or to handle personal business is STRONGLY frowned upon.

Advice to Management

None they won't listen.

Chicago Public Schools2014-11-22
  5. "Frustrating"

Former Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most of the teachers are very professional and work very hard to make sure their students learn. Many schools are well maintained and the staff really cares about the kids.

Cons

Class sizes are too large. It's difficult to teach well with 35 kids in a class. Some schools are well run...some are not. Teachers are lacking the resource support they need to do their jobs efficiently.

Advice to Management

Students need stability in order to make educational gains. The instability in the system over the past few years has been detrimental and, at times, devastating to student growth and achievement.

Chicago Public Schools2014-05-30