Chicago Public Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Forrest Claypool

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance, overload of paperwork, unhealthy working conditions (in 12 reviews)

• Lack of resources and overcrowded schools (in 10 reviews)

1. "Special Education Teacher"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

No two days are ever the same, and you will never be bored.
    Staff is student focused and data-driven.

Cons

None that I want to share at this time. None that I want to share at this time. None that I want to share at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep students at the center of initiatives and policies. Schools are not a 'big business', but rather deal in human capital.

2. "Special Education Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher
    Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay. Benefits. Students with disabilities appreciate your service

Cons

inexperienced management, lack of job satisfaction

Advice to Management

Stop REACH, support your teachers

3. "Assistant Principal"

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

Great leadership opportunities; good benefits, clear mission and values

Cons

Retaining talent and have uniformity in curriculum and assessment practices across the district.

Advice to Management

There is some progress on how to retain talent.

4. "Substitute Teacher"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools part-time

Pros

- Flexible - You choose your own assignments
    - Nice Pay (I believe it's about $115 per school day)
    - Simple Interview

Cons

Long hiring process. The CPS Administrative Office was very understaffed when I applied in 2016 (and likely still is), so it takes a long time for them to process your application. With the application processing time, interview process, and background tests/drug tests/paperwork processing after you've accepted the job offer, expect it to take over two months from your application submission to actually start working, should you be hired.

"Marketing Coordinator"

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

Large network to work among. Able to meet some truly wonderful and experienced people who have a lot to offer. Can learn a lot quickly because there's such a massive amount of information to process. If you can do well here, any other educational realm will be a piece of cake.

Cons

Very dysfunctional and bureaucratic. Hard to get information because the players are always changing. Work environment can be stressful. Once an entire department was suddenly laid off. Makes for bad vibes at the office when there's no stability.

Advice to Management

Get organized. Treat employees like you'd want to be treated. Be fair and rational. Above all, get integrity. It seems completely absent from your business approach.

6. "Taxing and rewarding"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Deep personal rewards with connections to students who have significant needs; can profoundly shape individual lives (through tutoring, helping college applications, etc.); a fair amount of independence due to lax admin (school dependent)
    The schools are so incredibly different that you can't judge the whole district with one experience. Gifted students in the district (and not even in selective enrollment schools -- just in magnet and neighborhood schools) are super inspiring, and they keep us working on their behalf.

Cons

Incredibly stressful working environment; long, long, long hours if you want to do the job well; high-needs students means low, low skills and lots of really difficult behavioral issues; support from administration is minimal; every day is a huge production with planning, calling home, grading papers, meeting with students, etc.; exemplary teaching is given a pat on the back but that's it.
    The bad often outweighs the good when it comes to emotional stress. I've given 12 hours a day to this job for the last decade, and while I've seen incredible rewards, my personal life has suffered greatly.

7. "Teacher Assistant"

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

-benefits - working with fighters (the tough). - building strong relationships with families - the kids - coworkers -undeniable talent & brilliance

Cons

- under resourced - under paid- under valued - the weight of systems of oppression on behavior, performance, and health of students.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting for funding.

8. "Special Education Teacher"

Former Employee - Certified Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Certified Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked at both a high school and elementary school at CPS for 3 years.
    1. Chicago Schools is one of top-paying cities for teachers in the US. 2. There are many schools to bounce around within the system to try to find one you like, a principal with your philosophy and management style. etc. 3. The friendships I've made with my coworkers are strong. 4. You will learn incredible discipline techniques within the classroom, or you'll quit very quickly. 5. Longterm coworkers are very dedicated and care about their communities. 6. Teaching some amazing children.

Cons

Stress in so many ways. I have little trust in the school board. Everything related to the job seems temporary with no control given to you. For example, issues involving teacher contracts, layoffs, school budgets, the amount of testing, etc. Nothing seems to be done for the actual good of the child which can get very depressing. Middle management seems to be focused on politics also. You must be on the principal's "good side," or they will purposefully give negative evaluation ratings in case they want to fire you at the end of the school year. I can't imagine doing the same amount of work for less pay anywhere else. (My complaints may be for all public schools, but I only have experience with CPS.)

Advice to Management

For principals, point out many the many positives of your employees. Show that you appreciate them on a personal level as often as possible. Consider the teachers' ideas and opinions as often as possible.

9. "Unrealstic values and expectations for global success."

Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Principal in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Breadth of schools and opportunities for employment change.

Cons

Fiscal mismanagement, inconsistent policies, no room for advancement, hostile environment, misappropriation of resources and personnel.

10. "Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A wonderful experience with reality in teaching and learning. Over 26 years of being a teacher of grades 3-8, teaching reading, writing, language arts, math, science, and social studies, and culture.

Cons

Many teachers had a lot of discipline problems, and they were not taken care of properly. I had very few, if any, and refused to tolerate disrespect from anyone. Children should be taught to be respectful and the parents should also be required to respect teachers who have to try and teach effectively. What one cannot control, they will not teach anything, which is the reason why scores were low, and remained low as long as improper administration existed.

Advice to Management

Pick up in top administration and be a part of a very serious problem in order to improve the chances of effective teaching and learning.