KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,927

972 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Chicago Public Schools and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Misc

Aug 6, 2022 - Teacher
    Recommend
    CEO Approval
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good money and healthy benefits and insurance

Cons

Kids who are not motivating

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A great place to work DESPITE the bureaucracy

Jul 29, 2022 - English Teacher
    Recommend
    CEO Approval
    Business Outlook

Pros

Chicago's families need and appreciate good teachers, and they see how we fight for our students. We feel supported by the majority of parents and families. There are also fantastic administrators at many schools who are in it for the right reasons, but there are also some awful admins. Teachers need to know their options for transferring schools if they run into a bad boss, and there ARE options. We have one of the strongest unions in the country, and we mobilize. Our union strengthens us against bad bosses and bureaucracy.

Cons

But there IS a bureaucracy. Structures and initiatives at CPS change on a dime, and teachers can feel caught in the gears. Also, while we are headed toward an elected school board, which will mean less top-down and retaliatory relations with City Hall, we aren't there yet. We've had two mayors in a row set on breaking teachers, including during a pandemic, and that has taken a toll. Many of us are in it for the long haul and have found ways to navigate these challenges, but they wear on teachers from time to time.

Continue reading