Chicago Public Schools Special Education Classroom Assistant Reviews | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Special Education Classroom Assistant Reviews

Updated Mar 11, 2019

3.2
Chicago Public Schools Chief Executive Officer Janice Jackson  (no image)
Janice Jackson
0 Rating
  1. "Nothing less than a great learning experience."

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Building lifetime relationships with people who you can mold into great citizens to send out into our communities and build our nation back up/

Cons

Seeing students you work effortlessly with choose other options other than completing high school.

Advice to Management

Always remain humble and be willing to put just as much work in as those with lower positions. Everyone is equal children sense division.

Chicago Public Schools2015-03-03
  2. "Overwhelming yet Satisfying"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to play a major part in the intellectual and creative development of many young minds. It is always a joy and pleasure to see the light bulbs pop on in so many eyes. So many times I have been pleasantly surprised and in awe of just how much our children know and can impart. And it's great when you have the opportunity to work with members of a team that strive to be on the same page on all points.

Cons

Many classrooms are overcrowded, schools understaffed. SECAs are often relegated to plug-and-play tasks in these cases. Our hands are tied (all staff, not just SECA's) in dealing with the most unruly students and we can't always impart the consequences necessary to bring such students in line.

Advice to Management

Often the staff feels dmnd if you do and dmnd if you don't, where their efforts are concerned. Staff is always advised as to what they are NOT doing, and what else they SHOULD be doing. Rarely are they recognized for successful efforts and results. Please understand that staff needs to know, more than once or twice a year, what they are doing RIGHT. Just as we are coached to discuss the good points to a student before correcting a direction or behavior, staff can also benefit from a balanced assessment as well.

Chicago Public Schools2019-03-12

"Love the school I am at however, it is a lot of work and believe the pay should be increased."

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

The days go by fast, has many fun moments. I am able to learn from the many different situations I am put into.

Cons

Can be very challenging at times. Due to the mass number of students, it can be difficult to accomplish everything that needs to get done.

Advice to Management

Must have a lot of patience.

Chicago Public Schools2018-01-16
  4. "Good place to work if you have kids"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The time off. Summer ,spring and winter break.

Cons

No job security anymore Layoffs and furlough days.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting cost in education. Our children are our future. They need a good quality education.

Chicago Public Schools2017-02-26
  5. "Work"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pro with a con, it is hard work, but it is very fulfilling when you see your kids(students) eyes light up after they've accomplished something they thought was difficult

Cons

So much is expected of staff but they do not give the proper resources to do what is expected of us

Chicago Public Schools2016-12-17

"CPS is a revolving door."

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools for less than a year

Pros

working with students. great benefits, excellent scheduled

Cons

have you seen the news lately? whats not wrong would be an easier question.

Advice to Management

find the money, place more people in school. find a way to get parents involved.

Chicago Public Schools2016-05-18
  7. "Special Education Paraprofessional"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools for more than a year

Pros

There is a greater need in the chicago public schools because of the economic situation.

Cons

Many of the staff can be very worried about security, and sometime the staff will allow things to happend because of their fear.

Advice to Management

Please make the teachers and all staf safe.

Chicago Public Schools2016-01-18
  8. "Rewarding Job if Money is not the main motivator"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity to deliver essential services to diverse learners. Provide basic foundations of common core curriculum for special education students with various needs.

Cons

No job security in underfunded education system. Most principals and administrators are in a unsung clique. Special education I'd highly misunderstood.

Advice to Management

Management and decision makers should be required to be educators.

Chicago Public Schools2016-01-24
  9. "Special Education Classroom Assistant"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with special needs students.

Cons

Not full-time and no benefits.

Advice to Management

none

Chicago Public Schools2015-10-11
  10. "Served it purpose"

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

The hours are great and working in a school with the kids is quite the experience. They really grow on you and helps you get a perspective on life.

Cons

The salary was not worth staying even after getting a Masters Degree in Education Policy they would not increase my salary. There are very nepotistic in hiring whether it is in a school or Central Office. There is very little room for mobility coming from inside of a school and going into Central Office. at my school many of the teachers were frustrated with the school's administration and it was just heart breaking at the quality of education the students were getting.

Advice to Management

In school management, a strong leader is one that know his demographic well and one that can take experience and formal knowledge and make the best of it to serve the students and employees. To Central Office establish a better system of accountability and management on all levels.

Chicago Public Schools2014-08-11