Chicago Public Schools Special Education Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Chicago Public Schools Special Education Teacher Reviews

Updated Oct 8, 2019

2.6
Chicago Public Schools Chief Executive Officer Janice Jackson  (no image)
Janice Jackson
  1. "Nice school and good department"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great team and a lot of energy in the school

Cons

Lack of resources: books, supplies, etc, and overcrowded classes

Chicago Public Schools2018-08-20

"Little support, great reward"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher, Elementary School

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

The students can be very challenging, but deserving and incredible. The work can be very rewarding and those educators that stick around are strong, passionate and inspiring.

Cons

It doesn't come as a surprise to many that working in this environment can present many challenges. While there are incredible, caring, and hard-working, and strong people that succeed in this district for many years, however, some schools present so many blockers that work can be discouraging. The environment is so dependent on strong leaders and teams that when a principal is unable to support their employees effectively, work can be increasingly challenging. Everyone is there to help students succeed, but sometimes the resources are insufficient and morale/supports low enough that work becomes impossible.

Chicago Public Schools2019-10-08

"Diverse Learner Teacher"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The opportunity to play a hand in developing students and assisting them in achieving their academic targets

Cons

CPS continues to violate the basic civil rights of Diverse Learner Students. That is, DL students are placed in classrooms that includes students beyond the allowable age span of 4 years. I have students age 5-11 in my class. Also DL students are placed in classrooms that exceed the maximum amount of students allowed. My classroom consists of 15 students ranging from 5 different grade levels. They don't receive the same books and materials as their general education counterparts. I can go on regarding the blatant disregard of Special Education laws and regulations. Teachers can filed grievances; however, they will likely be subject to being penalized by the principal. There is really no protection or safeguards for teachers. Be prepared to spend your own money for materials, books and room decor.

Advice to Management

Make teachers feel valued. We are on the frontline with the parents and students. However, we are treated like the help.

Chicago Public Schools2019-08-14
  4. "CPS"

Current Freelancer - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits for family and good hours

Cons

Bad raises and difficult daily schedule with sometimes no breaks

Chicago Public Schools2019-07-24
  5. "Disorganized at best"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Supporting and having a positive impact on the lives of Chicago youth

Cons

Constantly changing administration, currriculum and lack of emphasis on research based quality instruction. Large class sizes

Advice to Management

Stick with what has been proven to work and keep classes (especially kindergarten) SMALL

Chicago Public Schools2019-05-09
  6. "Not great"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The kids. Such a diverse group!

Cons

Working for a large urban public school district is hard. The district makes changes on a whim and has no idea how it effects the teachers or students. Special education budget is being cut and teachers are expected to do more with less. Some school are good and some school are bad, very bad

Chicago Public Schools2019-04-12

"Good Pay, Decent job if certain things don't bother you"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Secondary School in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, great team I'm working w/, great admin, supportive staff, overall.

Cons

Toleration of behaviors that no one should allow. IE. defiance, disrespect, constant use of profanity, students have to constantly be reminded to stay on task and do work. They grow angry when you tell them to abide by simple rules/norms.

Advice to Management

Place accountability on circumstance, parents, and students. This is what I feel is missing now, in general in education.

Chicago Public Schools2019-02-15
  8. "Good coworkers, poorly ran school system"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dedicated coworkers that gave their all despite limited resources. Chicago Teachers Union - strong union that supports it workers. Good pay based on experience - better than some suburban districts.

Cons

School ran by principal with limited knowledge, inconsistent. Poor resources. School board that is handpicked and usually corrupt in the way it spends money.

Advice to Management

Turn to an elected school board with people who truly have an interest in the future of our students.

Chicago Public Schools2019-01-31

"Politics are Priority, Kids are Not"

Former Employee - Special Education Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pretty good salary, quick upward mobility if you are skilled, the students will adore you if you take the time to build trust and listen to them

Cons

Everything else. Teaching is not an easy job, and there are so many factors in CPS that make it so much harder. Everyone from the top on down is so overworked and exhausted. The students suffer because of this.

Chicago Public Schools2018-07-28
  10. "Segmented Work Environment"

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher, Elementary School in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you have a great principal and colleagues, the school site itself is wonderful and it is a very rewarding professional experience.

Cons

The board, as any board in big cities, lacks connection and rapport with teachers. HR makes many mistakes, they close too early, and when you barely make it to talk to them in person about their mistakes they act as if they are doing you a favor. It would be nice if their first response was something like "I'm sorry we made a mistake" and then fix it. I had to deal with them twice in person for sending my paycheck to someone else, and another time for a salary correction and their first immediate reaction was dismissive instead of apologetic.

Advice to Management

I'm very happy working for CPS. The compensation is decent and my school site is wonderful. Immediate management is great! The board is okay. I never met anyone from the board so I wouldn't know what to suggest.

Chicago Public Schools2018-05-11