Child Development Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

San Jose, CA

4.5
Susan Dumars

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Child Development, Inc"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Child Development full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to do meaningful work. Very supporting of work life balance

Cons

a bit of a disconnect between centers and the corporate office

2. "School Age Teacher"

Former Employee - School Age Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - School Age Teacher in San Jose, CA

I worked at Child Development full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I got to dive in the world of elementary education after school. I had no prior experience coming in straight from college and boy was my world turned upside down lol.

My site supervisor did a fabulous job with my development to become an effective and charismatic teacher. I learned to lead the kids I worked with. I learned to develop their trust. I got to put my knowledge to the test about child development. I was one of the few male teachers and I took advantage of that in how I worked with the kids. Doing clubs based on interests was amazing! DRDPs were a pain but to me only because the parents didn’t take it too seriously which was annoying. I think parents underestimate the ability of teachers to assess.

I was then able to show the ropes to new teachers as well which was great. The staff at the center I worked at was wonderful. A lot of us stayed at the center for years so turnover wasn’t a big thing for the center until 2013-14 when basically the entire staff I knew including myself left.

You have the opportunity to work at other centers and getting to know the culture of that center which I thought was great. You periodically get a chance to meet with staff at all centers in your region. I was in San Jose do this took place at corporate. Upper management to me was great. I got to meet the president and the cfo and other folks.

I thought Benefits were great. I’ve also got taken care of when I had a work related injury.

Overall, if you’re interested in this line of work, then definitely start out at CDC.

Cons

So the wages weren’t great. Being straight out of college I was offered 15.00/hr which is really manageable on your own but I was still with my parents. So assuming if you didn’t have a degree and you met the minimum you’d probably be paid less. Master teachers were paid a little more maybe starting at 18.00/hr. Site supervisors I know of were in the 40ks and up. I only received one raise throughout my career and I was there for over 3 years. Reason was at the time was a freeze on that so yeah I only got a 27 cent raise which was garbage. You’re not guaranteed 40 hours do based on center needs. During summer camp, you have to go to other centers to get your hours. That’s because enrollment has a lot to do with it. Didn’t mind that but that’s a con for others

So when CDC was going through their revamp stages, only certain centers got the updated workspace. I’ve worked at enough centers to see the difference. Not sure how it is now. Our center didn’t go through the process at the time but I heard it sort of did. You’ll see equipment from like the 90s.

You can see the drama like with every workplace. Nothing too crazy.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you’ve raised the starting salaries for teachers and have had the opportunity to give good raises. And revamped all centers with updated tools because tuition doesn’t reflect the center sometimes. Other than that the growth you get is fantastic keep that up!

3. "Excellent Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Company is focused on children and staff to an extent that you don't usually see. They truly care about their people and the families served.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Child Development full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great. Everyone was child focus.

Cons

No room for advancement. Positions would not open up.

5. "starting point for newly graduates"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Child Development (More than a year)

Pros

Staff is supportive. They provide a really big training conference once a year, take a whole day and you learn a lot from it.

Cons

Pay is low, especially when you live in Bay Area. Hardly have any saving with that income. Staff is low and turn over high so no consistency in the classroom.

Advice to Management

Always short in staff and sfaff turn-over is so high. Within 1 year, I have seen teachers come and go a lot, changed from classroom to classroom.

6. "Teacher"

Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Preschool Teacher in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great environment for children, just as great place to be a teacher. Staff has great team work, do to long term Site supervisor

Cons

I cant think of any at this time

"CDI"

Former Employee - Program Director in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Program Director in San Jose, CA

Pros

Center staff committed to working with children and families; Developmental Profile assessments twice per year ensured the needs of the children in the program were being met.

Cons

It seemed management was more interested in putting staff down rather than building them up and giving them the tools to be successful.

Advice to Management

Take a look at yourselves and how you treat others. No adult should be made to feel like they are in middle school again.

8. "acting controller/accounting manager"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager/Acting Controller in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager/Acting Controller in San Jose, CA

Pros

a good working environment and good location

Cons

average pay low for all the position compared to industries.