Child Trends Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is extremely supportive of staff at all levels, and truly values staff feedback. While this can vary some within the organization, staff are encouraged to pursue their own interests and grow their skills accordingly. There is also opportunity to move up in the organization.

Cons

While employee benefits have been excellent (both medical and retirement), they have been changed in the past year with very little notice or input from staff. While changes have not been dramatic, it would be nice if this process was more transparent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Staff feel heard and appreciated. When problems do arise, there are supports in place. Work on more transparency with policy changes. Generally, this is great, but when it comes to HR related policies, there is a bit of a wall.

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We do value feedback, and we have some very thoughtful people who are spot on, as you are in this case. The roll out for changes wasn't handled well. Yes, a lot of that was because we didn't have a ... More

"Good entry level"

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good learning experience, good life-work balance

Cons

High turnover, questionable advancement, depends on who you work with.

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We actually have very low turnover (e.g., we only had on RA leave this year for something other than graduate school), but maybe you are referring to the graduate school departures? It is true that a ... More

3. "Wonder place to work"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends full-time

Pros

Good pay, Great work environment, Positive People

I'd still be working there had there been the money to continue my position. I loved every second of being at Child Trends.

Cons

Nothing. Child Trends is a wonderful place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work :) I miss working there. And I hope to stop back and visit one day soon and catch up with my former employees.

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We are working on setting up an alumni network and an annual event to welcome you back and hear what great things are alums are up to!

5. "THE best place to work!"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in Child Trends are super nice! The leadership team is very supportive and provides suggestions and/or assistance with the work whenever needed. And the researchers and staff in Child Trends are smart AND thoughtful. We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission. Because of such a amiable politics-free environment, I personally have become more positive and self-confident after working at Child Trends.

Cons

As Child Trends is growing fast, there are even more interesting projects and promising opportunities and it's been hard to pursue all of them. So I have to say "no" once in a while.

Feb 10, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You summarized it so well! "We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission." That really is th heart of it. Thank you for ... More

"Great mission, people, and place to work"

Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Smart and dedicated people working on important issues to improve the lives of children and youth. Child Trends work is widely viewed by policymakers, media, nonprofit organizations. Good benefits and flexible work hours are attractive. Management embraces work-life balance for staff. Very little office politics. Atmosphere in friendly, team-oriented, results-oriented. Organization is experiencing rapid growth--20% in last year.

Cons

As organization grows it can be challenging to keep up with hiring enough staff to meet the demands, which can be a good problem as opposed to not growing.

Jan 29, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We are excited to be growing because of the opportunities it creates for all staff, but particularly those at mid and junior levels, to grow faster and take on new roles. And, yes, we need to do it ... More

"Dream come true!"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely welcoming, nice, and supportive. I feel like I have learned so much from my colleagues, yet have also had multiple opportunities to share my expertise. Management really seems to care about us, and the company is very flexible. It also feels great to work for a company that is so well respected in the field.

Cons

They do their best to support the transition of new hires, but the work builds up very quickly so you have to be ready to hit the ground running. There could be some improvement in articulation of project deadlines, especially when you are working on multiple projects so you know what to prioritize.

8. "Have 5+ years here; Child Trends maintains its deserved reputation for high-quality, accessible work."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vital, collegial atmosphere. Lots of thoughtful, intelligent co-workers. Reasonably diverse staff. Opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

workload can sometimes seesaw in response to chasing and landing contracts. Some issues with equity across content areas, in terms of opportunities for interaction on multiple projects.

Advice to Management

Need to carve out some spec work, to preserve some independence from funders.

Jan 29, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

It is such a compliment to everyone here at Child Trends to have someone who has been here more than five years describe us as "vital" and having "opportunities for advancement"; this is exactly the ... More

9. "Smart people, who are also nice! A great place to grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Child Trends is a good place to work, especially for the DC area - people are a lot nicer than I've heard they are elsewhere. There are good flex policies (many people work remotely, at least partially) and there are clear steps to promotion, so you can count on growth. The company has a big emphasis on mentoring employees and letting people work across program areas, and is always looking for ways to improve retention. The salaries are pretty good for mid-level employees (me), though the cost of living in this area is still a problem for anyone who is not loaded. Probably 95% of the people here are women, which is not a pro or con, but might say something about the company culture. The president of the org is AMAZING, smart and very accessible. The org is always growing and jobs are fairly secure.

Cons

Because Child Trends has a great reputation, we keep getting more work. We keep hiring people, but sometimes the work load can be a challenge.

Advice to Management

You talk a lot about work-life balance, which is great, but it's hard for people to voice that they have too much to do when they're trying to move up the ladder. It'd be great if supervisors could get some training or notice to be on the lookout for reports who are working a lot of extra time or skipping lunches, to tell their staff that they recognize that, and to re-distribute the workload accordingly.

10. "Mission driven and grounded in the facts about children and families"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Child Trends is grounded in its mission - Research to improve children's lives - and all staff share this common goal. The work we do is interesting, and management is supportive of tailoring our work to our interests.

Cons

Writing proposals for new work is an important but disruptive (to current work) activity. Child Trends is still working to make this process less stressful.

Advice to Management

Strive to hire more ethnic/culturally diverse personnel so we can better represent the demographics we research.

11. "Top-notch mission-driven research organization"

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful, mission-driven research to improve kids lives.
    Friendly and talented colleagues (no egos).
    Superior management.
    Autonomy to pursue work of interest to you.
    Growing at a solid rate over time (even during recession), with good management of growth.
    Very strong benefits, particularly retirement benefit.

Cons

Particularly for smaller projects, timelines & budgets can be tight (at times, too tight for comfort).
    Almost all research positions are funded by soft money (i.e., government and foundation grants), although this is typical for similar research organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!