Child Trends Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.8
Carol Emig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pretty good for work-life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "The staff at Child Trends are very mission-driven" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "No real cons--you just have to like working fairly independently" (in 5 reviews)

• "It is important to establish work-life balance" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive staff, women-run, collegial environment, great benefits

Cons

Smaller organization so work may not be as varied for some

2. "Interesting, ,challenging, good"

Pros

Interesting work, knowledgeable and skilled colleagues

Cons

Less experienced staff can have a difficult time finding a mentor. Little time to develop relationship except through a project and that changes.

Advice to Management

Devote more time to training and supporting younger staff

3. "High expectations, but good support and pay"

I worked at Child Trends full-time

Pros

Opportunities to gain quantitative and qualitative research experience and be credited as an author on research papers; support from manager in exploring areas and skills of interest to you; good pay and benefits; opportunities for choosing which projects you want to work on after working there for a while; mission-driven organization

Cons

Work culture can vary widely depending on specific department in which you work in and this can drastically affect one's work environment and daily level of stress

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for mentorship for new staff members and ensure everyone feels appreciated by the colleagues in their department; continue great benefits and competitive compensation, and program that allows new staff to have a direct manager who can aid in their skill and career development

4. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family friendly, inclusive environment. Great mission, interesting work.

Cons

None I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

5. "Supportive Environment for mission-driven research"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time

Pros

There are a number of huge pros about working at Child Trends. 1) the environment is incredibly supportive and interesting, 2) there is room to really follow your interests because folks recognize that children's well-being is multifaceted and complex, 3) there are incredible colleagues who are smart, thoughtful, and willing to step in - whether that's to review something or help yo solve a problem, 4) folks really rally behind the mission of studying the well-being of children, 5) unlike a lot of research institutes, child trends' puts institutional resources towards proposal writing and the decision to go after certain proposals is transparent, 6) there is a lot of room to have a flexible schedule, and 7) the retirement benefits are fabulous. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten about...

Cons

I think one of the cons is that really creating the time to learn new skills is hard. Budgets are project driven and it's hard to get bid on a project in an area where you want to get BETTER. It's hard to find ways to gain the skills needed to be able to get bid of certain proposals if you don't already have them. Additionally, in the world of "feedforward" (instead of feedback) it feels hard to get structured constructive criticism that is not just task-specific. This isn't often a problem but sometimes things build and you feel like "this could have been addressed earlier!" And, of course, in any mission-driven not for profit, people work really hard. This is a pro and a con - people care about the work they do and when there's too much of it, it can be hard to figure out what to cut back. But it's a con because sometimes it does get to be a lot.

Advice to Management

I think one thing that would be helpful from management is to think about how to support some of the more junior scientists or RAs/analysts overall to think about goal setting. This happens, to some extent, in supervision meetings but it can get lost in the organization when only one (very busy!) person knows what those goals were. I can imagine this happening with Natalia or with other "mentors" in a sense.

I also am in so much admiration of the work we are doing around race and equity but sometimes wonder if the message is really trickling down fully from some supervisors.

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You've articulated really well some of the positives and challenges at Child Trends. There are a lot of good ideas nested here, so let me address a few and come and talk for the rest!

We've... More

6. "Busy & Supportive Work Environment"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- High caliber employees who are committed to producing good work that supports children and youth
    - Lots of expertise in a wide range of subjects and people who are willing to mentor
    - Staff and leadership actively strive to make Child Trends a better place to work
    - Staff genuinely care about their colleagues

Cons

- Billable hours and managing workloads can be tricky
    - Work gets constrained by clients since we primarily operate through contracts and what can get funded

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

I'd love to talk with you about how you are getting mentoring and whether there might be lessons for other teams, too. Or please get your suggestions to staff council who are taking up mentoring... More

7. "Would I recommend Child Trends? ABSOLUTELY!"

Current Employee - Senior Research Assistant in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, supportive leadership, warm and helpful staff, and I not only feel the work we do is important, but that I am important.

Cons

Have to be self-motivated (which may also be a Pro).

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

[Huge smile] I love this line: "I not only feel the work we do is important, but that I am important"! What a perfect summary!

It's true that we are best for people who are self-motivated and... More

8. "A Culture of Support, Respect and Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Child Trends maintains a culture where each voice and contribution is respected. Junior staff are encouraged to expand their skills and explore their interests through meaningful, rather than clerical, work experiences. Senior staff are given freedom to lead in their areas of expertise. All staff are expected to work hard, but take the time to care for themselves and their families, and leadership often encourages small acts of care between staff.

Cons

While there are no real cons, it should be noted that growth and promotion are largely self-directed. This means that a employee that is hard-working, but passive about directing their personal development and career track, may miss out on opportunities to grow and advance within the organization.

Advice to Management

The main "pro" of Child Trends is its culture, which is unique among the fast-paced and hierarchical working environments of the Washington, DC metro area. This means that new entrants to the organization, especially new leaders, must be quickly acclimated to this culture in order to maintain what makes Child Trends such an amazing place to work. During times of rapid growth, it is all the more imperative that Child Trend's senior managers take active steps to safeguard and reinforce the organizations' culture of support, respect, and growth.

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You've articulated the 20-million dollar question: How do we maintain our organizational culture during rapid growth? My short answer is by hiring people like you. But would love to talk with you... More

9. "Mission-focused & meaningful resarch"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time

Pros

-Working on research that has a direct impact on policy and practice
    -Great coworkers who are here for the right reasons
    -As an entry-level employee, supervisors who are invested in my professional development and care about my career goals
    -Opportunity to learn a lot, including both research skills and content knowledge
    -Able to find your niche - maybe it's quant, maybe it's communications, etc.
    -We don't work too many hours and instead are super efficient during the hours we do work

Cons

-As a B.A. in a research world, you often feel like you need a higher degree for credibility
    -Objectively a solid work-life balance, but can feel stressful to constantly be monitoring your time so closely.

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You've described exactly the environment we've hoped research assistants and other entry employees experience!

Please stay at CT! Degrees are just proxies; credibility comes from knowledge... More

10. "Interesting work, flexible schedules"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Child Trends encourages employees to grow and develop new skills.
    Flexible work schedules (including remote work schedules or shortened work weeks) are available.
    Employees are engaged and interested in their work and are committed to the organization's mission.

Cons

Can be high-pressure with tight timelines.

Oct 10, 2017 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

High engagement, flexibility, and growth are good descriptors!

And, yes, sometimes, high-pressure and tight timelines. If this is due to poor planning, please flag to your supervisor, me, or... More