Child Trends Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carol Emig

1. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Great mission, great people, interesting work, lots of opportunity to grow. Always striving to do better.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you'really doing.

2. "Truly a great place to work!"

Pros

The people, interesting work, and great benefits

Cons

There's always work to be done, which can sometimes get overwhelming.

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership is extremely supportive of staff at all levels, and truly values staff feedback. While this can vary some within the organization, staff are encouraged to pursue their own interests and grow their skills accordingly. There is also opportunity to move up in the organization.

Cons

While employee benefits have been excellent (both medical and retirement), they have been changed in the past year with very little notice or input from staff. While changes have not been dramatic, it would be nice if this process was more transparent.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Staff feel heard and appreciated. When problems do arise, there are supports in place. Work on more transparency with policy changes. Generally, this is great, but when it comes to HR related policies, there is a bit of a wall.

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We do value feedback, and we have some very thoughtful people who are spot on, as you are in this case. The roll out for changes wasn't handled well. Yes, a lot of that was because we didn't have a ... More

5. "Great place to work, OK pay"

Pros

flexible work environment, dedication to making their employees happy, mission-driven employees, thoughtfulness in all the work that is done

Cons

few cons including pay and promotion educational requirements

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We have consistently paid at or above average for the market for each position; we do a survey every other year to be sure. We don't pay at the very top in the market, and do not look for salary to ... More

6. "THE best place to work!"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in Child Trends are super nice! The leadership team is very supportive and provides suggestions and/or assistance with the work whenever needed. And the researchers and staff in Child Trends are smart AND thoughtful. We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission. Because of such a amiable politics-free environment, I personally have become more positive and self-confident after working at Child Trends.

Cons

As Child Trends is growing fast, there are even more interesting projects and promising opportunities and it's been hard to pursue all of them. So I have to say "no" once in a while.

Feb 10, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You summarized it so well! "We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission." That really is th heart of it. Thank you for ... More

7. "Growing but keeping our mission in mind"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist
    Current Employee - Senior Scientist

I have been working at Child Trends full-time

Pros

Child Trends is very mission-driven and concerned about quality, so you can feel proud of your affiliation. Also, our Communications group is excellent, so what we do gets out. And Management is continually trying to make Child Trends a better place to work.

Cons

No place is perfect; but Child Trends is trying.

May 16, 2016 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

I am proud to be a part of Child Trends, too. Our researchers are passionate about their work--and its quality. Our communications group, I agree, makes it possible for our work to get into the hands ... More

"Dream come true!"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely welcoming, nice, and supportive. I feel like I have learned so much from my colleagues, yet have also had multiple opportunities to share my expertise. Management really seems to care about us, and the company is very flexible. It also feels great to work for a company that is so well respected in the field.

Cons

They do their best to support the transition of new hires, but the work builds up very quickly so you have to be ready to hit the ground running. There could be some improvement in articulation of project deadlines, especially when you are working on multiple projects so you know what to prioritize.

9. "A wonderful place to work."

I have been working at Child Trends part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, great work, great benefits.

Cons

Time management can sometimes be a challenge, particularly when new projects are starting up.

10. "Have 5+ years here; Child Trends maintains its deserved reputation for high-quality, accessible work."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vital, collegial atmosphere. Lots of thoughtful, intelligent co-workers. Reasonably diverse staff. Opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

workload can sometimes seesaw in response to chasing and landing contracts. Some issues with equity across content areas, in terms of opportunities for interaction on multiple projects.

Advice to Management

Need to carve out some spec work, to preserve some independence from funders.

Jan 29, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

It is such a compliment to everyone here at Child Trends to have someone who has been here more than five years describe us as "vital" and having "opportunities for advancement"; this is exactly the ... More

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Child Trends almost 4 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. I often feel guilty when I hear friends complaining about how unsatisfied they are in their jobs and with their employers, because I feel the opposite. My supervisors have always been very supportive of me, and encouraged and given me the opportunities to grown and advance. Upper management honestly strives for us to have a work-life balance, which is not common in the DC area. All of this on top of the fact that the work we do TRULY matters.

Cons

Sadly, summer is the busiest time of year. As Child Trends funds its work primarily through grants and contracts, many of which come out in late spring/early summer, we must "earn our keep." But it slows back down again!

Advice to Management

While management encourages work life balance, the implementation varies by program area, so continue to work w/ senior staff on setting the example.