Child Trends Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carol Emig

1. "I love going to work each day!"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time

Pros

Truly collaborative work environment; Supportive colleagues range from friendly peers to senior level mentors; Commitment to high-quality research that can be immediately applied in and disseminated to the real world

Cons

Variation in experiences of staff in different program areas; in other words, depending on a person's program area, he or she might have a very different experience in their workload, expectations from managers, etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up your practice of soliciting feedback from all levels of staff -- everyone in this organization has valuable lessons and/or suggestions to share.

2. "Top-notch mission-driven research organization"

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful, mission-driven research to improve kids lives.
    Friendly and talented colleagues (no egos).
    Superior management.
    Autonomy to pursue work of interest to you.
    Growing at a solid rate over time (even during recession), with good management of growth.
    Very strong benefits, particularly retirement benefit.

Cons

Particularly for smaller projects, timelines & budgets can be tight (at times, too tight for comfort).
    Almost all research positions are funded by soft money (i.e., government and foundation grants), although this is typical for similar research organizations.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "A flexible workplace with lots of room for career growth!"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mission focused
    Care about quality products
    Work with very smart colleagues who share their knowledge to improve your development
    A flexible family friendly environment and schedule
    High integrity in the people and the work
    You want to be friends with your colleagues even outside of work

Cons

A very organized person can succeed here because it requires skillful time management to get your work done and not feel overwhelmed.

Advice to Management

Reward people in creative ways for their accomplishments. A raise and a promotion are always nice, but sometimes public acknowledgement or other bonuses would also work well.

5. "Wow, what amazing people, who are really using research to change the world."

Pros

The people are wicked smart--and nice.
    My colleagues are experts in their fields, and I learn every day.
    The organization is growing quickly, which means more opportunity.

Cons

Nothing; I am so happy here!

6. "Mission driven and grounded in the facts about children and families"

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Child Trends is grounded in its mission - Research to improve children's lives - and all staff share this common goal. The work we do is interesting, and management is supportive of tailoring our work to our interests.

Cons

Writing proposals for new work is an important but disruptive (to current work) activity. Child Trends is still working to make this process less stressful.

Advice to Management

Strive to hire more ethnic/culturally diverse personnel so we can better represent the demographics we research.

7. "Getting even better"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, high level of expertise and training, willing to listen to any ideas on how to make the place better--and it's working. New staff council is a great addition. And our new location is Bethesda is BEAUTIFUL and right in the middle of everything!

The organization had a great year last year (after a series of good years), so the projects and opportunities are getting more exciting all the time.

Cons

None... well, ok, a roof top deck would complete the picture!

Advice to Management

Keep listening

8. "A wonderful place to work."

I have been working at Child Trends part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, great work, great benefits.

Cons

Time management can sometimes be a challenge, particularly when new projects are starting up.

"Dream come true!"

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely welcoming, nice, and supportive. I feel like I have learned so much from my colleagues, yet have also had multiple opportunities to share my expertise. Management really seems to care about us, and the company is very flexible. It also feels great to work for a company that is so well respected in the field.

Cons

They do their best to support the transition of new hires, but the work builds up very quickly so you have to be ready to hit the ground running. There could be some improvement in articulation of project deadlines, especially when you are working on multiple projects so you know what to prioritize.

10. "Have 5+ years here; Child Trends maintains its deserved reputation for high-quality, accessible work."

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vital, collegial atmosphere. Lots of thoughtful, intelligent co-workers. Reasonably diverse staff. Opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

workload can sometimes seesaw in response to chasing and landing contracts. Some issues with equity across content areas, in terms of opportunities for interaction on multiple projects.

Advice to Management

Need to carve out some spec work, to preserve some independence from funders.

Child Trends Response

Jan 29, 2015 – Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

It is such a compliment to everyone here at Child Trends to have someone who has been here more than five years describe us as "vital" and having "opportunities for advancement"; this is exactly the ... More

11. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Child Trends almost 4 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. I often feel guilty when I hear friends complaining about how unsatisfied they are in their jobs and with their employers, because I feel the opposite. My supervisors have always been very supportive of me, and encouraged and given me the opportunities to grown and advance. Upper management honestly strives for us to have a work-life balance, which is not common in the DC area. All of this on top of the fact that the work we do TRULY matters.

Cons

Sadly, summer is the busiest time of year. As Child Trends funds its work primarily through grants and contracts, many of which come out in late spring/early summer, we must "earn our keep." But it slows back down again!

Advice to Management

While management encourages work life balance, the implementation varies by program area, so continue to work w/ senior staff on setting the example.