Child and Family Services Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

1. "They are trying..."

Former Employee - Supervisory Career Pathways Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Supervisory Career Pathways Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Care about kids
    -Allow you to try new ways of solving the same problem

Cons

-People hide behind the union status to keep from doing work. Human Resources does not always follow up with employee issues in a timely manner, thus letting problems persist.

Advice to Management

Hold your employees accountable for getting work done and in a timely manner.

2. "Administrative"

Current Employee - Secretary II in Montville, CT
    Current Employee - Secretary II in Montville, CT

I have been working at Child and Family Services Agency (More than 3 years)

Pros

great company, security, profession, growth

Cons

non profit, limited room for growth, training, changing benefits consistantly

3. "Help Desk Technician"

Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Help Desk Technician in Washington, DC

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency (More than a year)

Pros

I would be off every weekend, however I love helping people.

Cons

I rarely take breaks because of the overwhelming tickets.

4. "Clerical Assistant"

Former Employee - Clerical Assistant/Secretary in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Clerical Assistant/Secretary in Washington, DC

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working for Child and Family Services Agency was a great experience for me, before this job I was working as a housekeeper and I wanted a position an office and CFSA give me that. It teach me how to work in a office siting, I met new people, teach me some accounting information, and how to be a team player.

Cons

The downside of working will Child and Family Services Agency is that so many people don't follow the correct protocol, and it hard to get feel supportive under some of the superviors.

Advice to Management

none

5. "Its a good start"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child and Family Services Agency full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary and Benefits.
    The experiences with cases and families are excellent for skill building.
    Opportunities for growth.

Cons

Office Politics
    Unpredictable Schedule
    The culture of the agency is like no other, there are extremely professional individuals and others who forgot why they got into this line of work.

Advice to Management

Take out time to plan and coordinate major changes.
    Hire and promote based on skills and benefit to agency overall mission.

6. "As a Supervisory Social Worker , provided quality services to my clients for more than nine years."

Former Employee - Supervisory Social Worker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Supervisory Social Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My experience of working with "hard to work with clients" has been that staff burn out and turn over can be avoided and clients can be effectively served by providing hands on supervision, guidance, encouragement, appreciation and support to the the frontline staff. I have been successful in helping my clients stay out of trouble, out of the institution or foster care placement for extended periods of time by following the above mentioned management practices.

Cons

Due to acute shortage of social workers and lack of support from my immediate supervisor affected my performance.

Advice to Management

I believe in participatory management, in which the treatment team makes all decisions collectively and the team leader provides proactive leadership to the team members. The leader remains closely involved in the process of helping, supporting, encouraging and enabling the clients to solve his/her problems. The communication between the leader and team members is open and ongoing. The team leader is a source of strength, motivation and inspiration to each member of the team.

"Really disorganized & unprofessional"

Former Employee - Social Worker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Social Worker in Washington, DC

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Salary. Opportunities for clinical supervision (though the quality may not be ideal).

Cons

Management was disorganized, inefficient, office politics played a large role, resources were very limited.

Advice to Management

I'd suggest starting over from scratch. I really feel sorry for the children who come into care in the District. They pushed hard to get highly qualified candidates to come work for this agency, however, these people were managed by unprofessional staff. Of a group of 6 that I started with, only one is still working there three years later. Half left within the first year. The other two left shortly after becoming LICSW.

8. "Staff"

Current Employee - Staffing
    Current Employee - Staffing

I have been working at Child and Family Services Agency full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good to work in Washington DC again

Cons

Bad Good to work in Washington DC again

9. "This employer will require much personal sacrifice."

I worked at Child and Family Services Agency full-time

Pros

The pay was excellent. The experience was truly helpful. Some of the staff were truly vested in this work.

Unfortunately, some staff only stay because of the money, but are not really connected to this work.

Cons

The work hours were unreasonable. I found myself working extremely long hours, in order to keep up with the demand. However, that required much time from my personal life. I truly love this work. However, I just realized how much personal sacrifice was required of me and had to move on.

Advice to Management

Provide adequate support for your staff.

The Principal Deputy Director should do more than "dance" around with staff at events. Rather, she should truly be committed to aiding staff at all levels.

The Director should focus more on supporting staff, rather than leaving that "job" for someone else to do. It is not acceptable for you to show your face occasionally at staff events. You should discover a way to connect with line, supervisory, and mid-management staff on a regular basis.

Staff turnover is EXTREMELY high. You cannot continue to ignore the effect that this has on the children and families that are served.

10. "Business Service Administration"

Pros

was happy to just get a paycheck

Cons

One of the worst administrations to work for ever thats a part of CFSA. They have management that are almost 70 years of age that lack the technical skill to get work done. They hire younger individuals and make them do their work while they sit back and do zero work. There is no professionalism within this group and the Administrator lacks the technical skills and effective leadership skills to solve issues within the department. The program manager definitely has thrown his counterparts in other departments under the bus giving clients the director of the agency number to call and complain as if it was free popcorn to make his colleagues look bad. Real evil individual.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the managers that are close to 70 years old that add no value. Be open to new ideas