Children Of America Teacher Reviews | Glassdoor

Teacher

3.1
Jim Perretty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Upper management likes to work with the parents and with the staff (in 3 reviews)

• They make you feel like family and that the work we do is important and valuable (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Restructuring of upper management almost weekly (in 9 reviews)

• I've worked for corporately owned child care centers for over 10 years (in 5 reviews)

1. "I've been a lead teacher for two months and it's a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Doylestown, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Doylestown, PA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is not as stressful as teaching in a public school. The curriculum is fun to teach and there is room for creativity. The kids are amazing and the staff is very supportive.

Cons

They need more teachers! They are short staffed right now so please consider working at a great place and making a difference in young lives.

"I've been with the company for almost a year now & it has been a blessing."

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have the pleasure of working with some truly talented teachers.

I'm fortunate to be able to work with some wonderful families.

Cons

I really don't have any cons. Some of the reviews I have been reading have mentioned a lot of turnover. Any early child care facility has turnover, that's just the nature of the job.

Advice to Management

The management at my location does their best to work with if they can.

3. "Rude"

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Smithtown, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Smithtown, NY

I worked at Children Of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to interact with different ages, New borns-School age. The kids are sweet and understanding, if you as a teacher knows how to get them to listen to you like how they listen to their parents.

Cons

They are very strict about who they hire. They hire mostly females because some of the parents don't want a male looking after their child. If you mess up twice, you get written up both times. Then the third time you mess up, they fire you. They don't really give you the chance to say your side of the story, they go with what the parent says, even if it's not true. They are bullies.

4. "Taking care of babies"

Current Employee - Teacher in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having to care for children who you grow to love as your own.

Cons

Long day and the pay could be better.

Jul 26, 2017 – VP Marketing

Thank you for being part of the COA team. We cherish all personnel as they are a key component to our success.

5. "Full time lead teacher"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros bad place to work!!! Chestnut hill Children of American is horrible I use to work here trust me parents please do not send your children...

Cons

Don't give out raises employees never get out on time....the days when we stay late employees never got paid for it... Administration is racist they do not care about the kids they do not care about the employees

6. "Awful company to work for!!!"

Former Employee - Teacher in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Teacher in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co workers... children. And nothing else

Cons

Management, pay, TERRIBLE curriculum, terrible lunch menu, corporate only cares about $$$

Advice to Management

Work to boost your teacher morale and they will want to work and do their job well..

Jul 24, 2017 – VP Marketing

We are sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience with COA. It is truly not our attention for personnel to have a negative experience. We work hard to provide a place where advancement and... More

7. "Loved it"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Yorkville, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Yorkville, IL

Pros

Parents and children are great
    Creativity is always in use
    My director and assistant director were amazing

Cons

Cons:
    Long 10 hour shifts
    Never really had an hour lunch. Usually between 30 and 45 minutes.
    How much corporate wants you to do for the little pay.

Advice to Management

Give assistant teachers more credit and pay, they do a lot and yet get paid 2 dollars less

Jul 24, 2017 – VP Marketing

We thank you for your service and wish you the best of luck on future endeavors.

"Company Puts Children at Risk"

Current Employee - Floater Teacher
    Current Employee - Floater Teacher

I have been working at Children Of America part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the parents and kids are excellent.
    Lots of hugs and smiling faces.
    Staff seems less "cliquish" than other companies.
    Offers more flexible schedules than other daycares

Cons

Improper procedures in food preparation: dishes are washed in classroom sinks. Proper 3 step (wash, rinse, sanitize) procedure is not followed. Rinse sink has food remnants. Knives left in sink. Milk and food left out for hours and served to children.

The safety of the children is labeled as priority, but it's clearly not true. Toys are not age appropriate. Small toys labeled for ages 3+ are placed in toddler classrooms promoting risk of choking. All items are to be kept in full access to children regardless of whether the particular classroom can safely handle it.

Food restrictions and allergies are not handled properly. Allergy lists are not kept up to date. Teachers and administrators do not read ingredients lists, and often items are served to children who should not eat them (i.e.: s'mores are served to children who cannot eat beef or pork; marshmallows contain gelatin). Parents are asked if child has any "allergies," but not "food restrictions."

Vegetarians are discriminated against. Menu options are severely limited (cheese sandwiches, rice, pasta). Protein items, like beans, are taken out of personal budgets. When pasta mixed with chicken was served, non-vegetarians were allowed more than double the portion of pasta as vegetarians. No additional protein options for vegetarians (like cheese sticks).

Hours are unstable. Some days, hours are changed with only a few hours' notice. Little to no advance notice of schedule.

Advice to Management

Take time to accommodate all children- especially those with religious dietary restrictions.

Let teachers pass judgement regarding what toys or activities are appropriate for the class.

9. "Somewhat controlled chaos"

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children Of America full-time

Pros

I enjoyed, observing the kids developmental growth and helping their parents understand some of what/why their child's certain behaviors; as well as, most of the teachers and administrators at the center.

Cons

Consistent turnover of staff and administrators. Administrators were not comfortable speaking with staff or parents which created an us versus them mentality within the center. Staff were not backed by administrators when necessary with child related incidents. Every couple of months the supply order was messed up; so we went without rubber gloves, paper towels, paper products, cleaning products, changing table paper every month.

Advice to Management

Less focus on business quotas, reports, staff/child ratios, and allow administrators more time to actually be supportive to the teachers and have bathroom breaks without guilt.

10. "Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in North Wales, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in North Wales, PA

I worked at Children Of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Children and families are fantastic. We get to wear smocks, which protects clothing. Flexible hours.

Cons

Lead teachers are often nasty and yell at their students ruthlessly. I've seen children get yelled at and embarassed in front of their peers often. A lot of gossip about children, their families, and other teachers; all within earshot of the kids.

Advice to Management

Ensure stricter rules with your lead teachers. You bounce Assistant Teachers around classrooms like its nothing, but keep your Lead Teachers in one stable place. Lead Teachers have been known to verbally abuse their children and display blatant favoritism among families, and you do nothing about it. Ease up on the politics.