Children & Families of Iowa Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "CFI-great company"

Former Employee - In-Home Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - In-Home Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great staff
    Excellent work environment
    Lots of variety
    Flexible hours

Cons

Was on call 24/7
    Stress of the social work hole

Advice to Management

Praise, and flexibility are wonderous.

2. "FSRP provider"

Current Employee - FSRP Provider, Care Coordinator in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - FSRP Provider, Care Coordinator in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Children & Families of Iowa full-time

Pros

-management is nice
    -flexible hours
    -work can be rewarding.

Cons

-many evening hours.
    -lot of work for lower pay

Advice to Management

New CFI director is less understanding and easy to work with. Not sure of the direction the agency is taking.

3. "Youth Service Worker"

Former Employee - Youth Service Worker in Beverly Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Youth Service Worker in Beverly Hills, MI

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great opportunity to get experience in human services and begin to learn ins/outs and whether the field is for you, get to work closely with clients and feeling of actually being a helper. Management did show effort to invest in the physical space (to enhance client quality of life)

Cons

Compensation was lacking, especially for part time employees who (at least when I worked there) didn't get pro rated benefits.

Advice to Management

Better support (current) employees by consistently keeping facility safely staffed. Invest in curriculum (or get better grant writers) to better equip staff to provide client services.

4. "Loved my job there"

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Agency management team is great. Always willing to listen, to advise, to offer encouragement. Was very fortunate to work with amazing people who believe in the mission of the agency-restore hope, build futures, change lives.

Cons

Cost of benefits is a little high. No one who works in social services expects to get rich; but salaries could be a bit more.

5. "I enjoy my experience at CFI."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Children & Families of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, independence, work phone, mileage reimbursement, decent salary, work computer, lots of trainings, good supervisors, coworkers that are willing to help when needed

Cons

High stress level is caused just because of the type of work you are doing. You have to work evenings almost everyday depending on caseload, and sometimes weekends, lots of travel time which causes wear and tear on your vehicle if you choose not to get a company vehicle. You also have to pay to have a company vehicle too...

6. "Program Supervisor of Residential Services"

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping people, training, great co-workers, long standing agency, great programs throughout the agency, better hiring salaries.

Cons

Extreme amount of hours required to do job. Administrative Assistant for program not allowed. Top management person not supportive.

Advice to Management

Get rid of executive director from forever, 15 years. Need new and positive outlook in the top position.

7. "Excellence in Caring for Children & Families"

Former Employee - Parent Partner Coordinator in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Parent Partner Coordinator in Addison, TX

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone works as a team and cares for families served. Senior Management is innovative and listens.

Cons

Health Insurance is expensive. Can work some long hours but it's worth it to see families reunited.

8. "In-Home Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a lot of independence and trusted by my supervisor.

Cons

The pay wasn't that great.

9. "Loved the work but management ruined it."

Former Employee - Domestic Abuse Advocate in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Domestic Abuse Advocate in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Children & Families of Iowa part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The feeling that comes from putting yourself out there to assist the women and children in need is beyond amazing. This work was truly what I wanted to do. Very few of the coworkers were dedicated and incredible to work with. Pay was decent.

Cons

Management was terrible for the domestic violence shelter, TERRIBLE. Turnover is ridiculous because everybody ends up miserable from dealing with the more long-term workers and management. Pure incompetence on somebody else's part resulted in a pretty severe shoulder injury for me (placing a giant tub full of liquid on an above-head shelf (always a no) AND not labeling it? A+ safety, HAH!). After being injured, due to my coworker's laziness, I usually ended up doing the jobs I was restricted from doing as I healed. Often coworkers walked out at the end of shift and left those of us who were really dedicated to the job to finish their work, I was often there over an hour completing other people's work per management request. Listening to coworkers make fun of victims was heartbreaking. People called in all the time leaving us short-staffed and others refused to come in to assist, including management. Some of the clients were only there to abuse the services and some got special treatment. Resources were not always appropriately distributed. I could go on for days...honestly management and coworkers ruined this career field for me.

Advice to Management

I am not even sure where to begin. Simply hire better management? Treat all of your employees fairly as opposed to playing favorites? Assist your employees when they are short-staffed and struggling? Stop doing all the things you are doing.

10. "Great place to work with a great bunch of people working hard to make a difference."

Current Employee - Outreach Advocate in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Outreach Advocate in Des Moines, IA

Pros

Good People employed at all levels, making a difference in the lives of children and families is prevalent and primary focus, great benefits, overall great place to learn and grow.

Cons

The pay is average for a non-profit company.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing, you are leading by example and it shows.