Children's Creative Learning Centers Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Children's Creative Learning Centers CEO Tom Wyatt
Tom Wyatt

1. "Former Teacher"

Pros

The team I worked with were kind, empathetic and fun to work with. The team felt more like family than just co-workers. The job can be stressful at times but with support of an awesome director and team, that stress will be alleviated.

Cons

The pay is better than other public schools and programs but still not enough to retain some great teachers (especially those with their own children). High turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Listen to work your teachers say, they know the family and children best. Pay them what they are worth because we are going to keep losing great teachers at a high rate.

2. "Teacger"

Former Employee - Teacher in Ramona, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Ramona, CA

I worked at Children's Creative Learning Centers (More than a year)

Pros

Nice Architect of the School. Very homey and well thought out of placement of things.

Cons

There was a big turnout rate for teachers leaving. They hire subs that do not match the school's philosophies.

Advice to Management

Keep things consistent

3. "CEO needs to be Undercover Boss"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Children's Creative Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The sites are beautiful, the families and staff are dedicated and passionate about the children's learning and care. Pay is decent.

Cons

Management is awful. A lot of turnover in upper management so field employees have a hard time knowing what is expected. Too much busy work and not enough time spent doing the important work being with children, and families and colleagues. Benefits suck!

Advice to Management

Tom Wyatt or Wei Lei need to send someone undercover to see what the Directors and Leadership at Stanford really have to deal with they are stressed and overwhelmed. Therefore the teachers have a hard time being engaged. They are tired and over worked.

5. "Loved my class but not the leadership"

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Charlottesville, VA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Charlottesville, VA

I worked at Children's Creative Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The teaching ratio for the toddler age was pretty good: 1 teacher to 4 children. So, toddler classrooms had 2 teachers and 8 toddlers. The center was next to trail which made for a great outside activity. Most of the teachers working there are dedicated and passionate about their job. Playground was a very good size. Lesson planning/curriculum was really great, easy to use, and easy to tailor to different developmental levels.

Cons

The leadership is very disorganized: poor communication internally (with each other) and externally (to teachers). Classrooms were pretty small for toddlers to have space to run around and play. Set up of the building was very inconvenient. There was one main entrance and parents/teachers had to walk through several other classrooms to get to destination. While the playground was a good size, the equipment/toys were sparse in comparison to how many children there were. Many times it would take weeks/months to get desired classroom materials, even when leadership was given plenty of notice. There was a ton of turnover, which I know is typical for daycares/development centers. In my year there I saw at least 20 people leave. The concerning thing was that many people left for negative reasons: couldn't stand the leadership, pay was too low, etc.

Advice to Management

Figure out how to provide a more competitive hourly wage. Improve the leadership, overall. People that have previous experience managing employees well and that like to manage, should be hired - this is not the case with the leadership that was in place while I was there (2014 - 2015). Leadership should improve communication amongst the leadership as well as to the teachers and other staff. Improve process for ordering class/center materials. Update and increase playground equipment/toys.

6. "The worst job and organization for which I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

Pros

The pay was decent enough

Cons

High turnover, inconsistent schedule, high ratios, unsupportive management, disorganized system, STRESSFUL, no career growth, will use and abuse you

Advice to Management

Understand that your staff are the most important asset you have...without good staff your organization will suffer. Treat them with respect and support them more.

"DO NOT WORK HERE (CHICAGO LOCATION)"

Former Employee - Lead Waddler Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lead Waddler Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Children's Creative Learning Centers full-time

Pros

Pay and benefits is better than most other places, but I'd rather make less and have a piece of mind and knowledge of self worth.

Cons

Run far and run fast! They do not listen to staff or PARENT concerns about the classroom. The turnover at this place will boggle the mind. There are days you won't get a lunch break. Management doesn't come to see if you're in ratio EVER so you're often stuck with 3-4 kids over your ratio. They are constantly understaffed so you are always moving from classroom to classroom even if you're the Lead Teacher. Management often ignores your calls even if they are available. They DO NOT give you bathroom breaks and when it's pointed out you get reprimanded for not being "flexible". You can not call out even in emergencies and if you have a scheduled day off don't be surprised if they call you into work anyway. Management has also asked staff on multiple occasions to lie to parents or omit information. They don't support the staff or give them the supplies (this includes GLOVES, TOILET PAPER, PAPER TOWELS, CLEANING SOLUTION, ETC.) and tools necessary to teach the children in their classrooms. They do not give teachers bathroom breaks and many teachers have suffered from UTIs because of that. It is an unhealthy environment for both the staff and the children enrolled. It is a definite DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Advice to Management

This place needs to start all over with their management team. Bring in people who know how to address staff and parent concerns without blowing them off. Make the children enrolled in your center the PRIORITY. It isn't just about making money. Value your staff. Teachers will want to stay at a center that makes them feel appreciated and valued, not overworked and unrecognized.

8. "working with children"

Current Employee - Floater in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Floater in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Children's Creative Learning Centers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with children, meeting new children and their parents. Playing all day with kids.

Cons

never knowing what you are going to be doing until you clock in.

Advice to Management

put your workers first

9. "Just say NO!"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Children's Creative Learning Centers (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you really need a paycheck while looking for another job, then this is the place for you!

Cons

CCLC/KCE is a for profit, bottom line company. They are concerned about increasing their enrollment numbers so their budget can be met. With this in mind, the care of the children and the treatment of the teachers is secondary. Licensing is a priority, as it should be; however, the teachers are not. As a current employee, I can attest to the lack of support from my management team, inflated numbers in the classroom in order to cut back on teacher hours, and a push for uniformity over creativity (which is sad considering the word creative is in our company's name).

Advice to Management

Remember why you became a part of this amazing career field. Spend time on the actual floor with the children, getting to know them. Treat your staff with respect for their individuality, education, experience, and desire to work with you. Communicate with the parents. Foster positive relationships within your staff. Create opportunities for team bonding. Do not allow yourself to become a number, your staff already feels like that.

"Big corporation mentality"

I have been working at Children's Creative Learning Centers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Higher pay than in my area.

Cons

Around our center, Directors compete to save money and are recognized by their superiors. As you guessed, that affects our center. Low supplies causes teachers to spend their own money. Inadequate staffing causes teachers to work on their own time and become stress. Ratios are advertised as NAEYC ratios but are not. This corporation has a business mentality and working in the field, having proproganda shoved down your throat is not ideal. One training video suggested that there were many families without childcare and it was our duty to let them know about our center... Um no. It's not my duty to invite more families into a stressful environment just so that knowledge universe can reap the money benefits. My duty is to provide a healthy/safe, meaningful, creative, and loving environment for our children, of course while maintaining the classroom, displaying their work, and working with parents to create a clear communication on how we both should be working with their child.

Advice to Management

As the nation's biggest childcare company, you are losing quality. Parents are starting to see the BS and are actually speaking up for the teachers (the childcare providers that take care of their children). Management is worried about hiring more (giving a $500 incentive to bring in a new worker if the new employee stays for 3 months: worries me due to quality of teacher rather than $ signs), expanding, and they are not taking into consideration a lot of factors.

11. "Great. Boss is very understanding"

Current Employee - Toddler Teacher
    Current Employee - Toddler Teacher

I have been working at Children's Creative Learning Centers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, boss who cares and is understanding of life and it unforeseen circumstances. Great co teachers to work with. Everyone helps everyone.

Cons

Not enough planning time. I would
    Like more planning time for curriculum. I would
    Like to get it all in order before the moth starts and have all my supplies before the month starts.

Advice to Management

Help with planning time