Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Reviews | Glassdoor

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta President and CEO Donna W. Hyland
Donna W. Hyland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • May have difficulty with work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Very low pay for nursing and rigid scheduling depending on your unit (in 16 reviews)

1. "A fun Place to Work"

Former Employee - Pct in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pct in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Non Stressful work environment, great teamwork, and awesome benefits. I loved that I was able to make my schedule to fit my family life.

Cons

Parking is a bit of a problem for day shift workers but they keep working on it.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Sibley can make some improvements but overall great place to work. Management staff, improvement is the key."

Pros

Caring coworkers, great wellness program, decent benefits. Team effort amongst the company. Community building and contributions. Caring for patient families is number one priority overall.

Cons

Limited progression in the company. Insufficient training, no training department even though it's been suggested. Communication needs improvement in all areas and interdepartmentally. Some areas have way better moral and it has to do with the senior management.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who deal with the day to day aspects of the company (front office, business office team members, call center staff, not just the managers. Without those people sticking through the craziness and moodiness of certain management staff... there would be no Sibley. The people who are still there that have at least 3 years under their belt truly care about the success of Sibley. Unfortunately for some, it's getting harder and harder to stay. It seems like it's becoming less about caring about the staff/patient cost and more about making money from the business side of things.

3. "Bonus tied into budget?!"

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It feels great to see kids leaving with smiles. Knowing I had a hand in that is priceless.

Cons

There will never be any improvement until the directors bonuses are untied from the budget. I find that unethical and feel that patient care is undeniably more important than someone withholding additional help so thay get a large bonus.

Advice to Management

Work the positions if you want to know what needs improvement. You’ll be surprised. Also try to help morale. It’s at an all time low.

4. "Not all it’s cracked up to be"

Pros

Mission is good and benefits are decent.

Cons

Support staff is treated as inferior. Observed management talking to employees like I’ll-behaved children. Very hard to grow or transfer positions, your boss has too much control and power over whether you get to leave for a better role. Compensation is not on par for the market. Too much red tape to get things accomplished.

Culture from the outside looks appealing but it’s mainly a lot of talk.

5. "OK"

Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Clinical Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere- I can only speak for clinical staff, but most coworkers are very friendly, motivated, well- meaning people who support each other.

Cons

Poor policies on vacation and sick days. Horrible system of “occurrences” which ends up punishing you for missing work even if you are sick and(!) have to leave work to got to an emergency room (!). Since sick days are not separated from PTO, on top of getting marks on your record you also have to take PTO every time you get sick - which ends up being extremely stressful and unfair to those with a less than perfect immune system.
    Immediate supervisors are usually understanding, but still very disappointed with the way HR and higher management treat employees. Most employees are very honest and dedicated to caring for kids and their families, so they work hard and go though many stressful days. Why management would want to add to that stress is beyond understanding.
    Monetary compensation is sad. Entry level CLINICAL staff with bachelors degrees are paid less than airline baggage handlers.

6. "Company that cares about their nurses!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Goes above and beyond the usual nursing benefits, including providing some childcare and a concierge service
    Team oriented envrionment
    Many opportunities to improve/expand nursing skills

Cons

The PTO is inclusive of sick time and vacation which is challenging for planning your year out
    HR is disconnected from staff

7. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work environment and team

Cons

Very difficult to make more money, no bonuses or competition

8. "Social Work Position Review"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Atlanta, GA

Pros

High employee moral,
    Fun working environment,
     lots of in service training and education opportunities
    The organization is growing and as the largest Children's hospital in the Southeast there is job security

Cons

Low salary . I feel the organization pays low wages because they are large and are a sort of monopoly in pediatric healthcare in the southeast
    Not flexible- As a salaried employee I was not given any flexibility with my schedule
    No bonuses. The hospital in general is doing very well financially however there are no bonuses and they have low percentage wage raises

9. "Reg Associate"

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta part-time

Pros

good environment, benefits for pastime and full time, good management

Cons

long hours, continuous work, no room for advancement,

10. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Cares about employees; Values employee retention; Promotes work/life balance: Friendly employees; nonprofit: good benefits; provides a lot of resources to employees: hospital gym and fitness classes

Cons

Of course, battling Atlanta traffic is taxing. Some locations have only off site parking. Not allowed to work through your lunch break.