Children’s Home Society of Florida Counselor Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2019

Found 12 reviews

3.6
Michael J. Shaver

"CHS is "The BEST" Place to Work!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Program Counselor in Palatka, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

CHS Cares for "all" children. Very Supportive!!! Encouraging!!! Dedicated!!! Excellence!!!!! We Do GOOD!!!!!

Cons

I have thoroughly working for CHS over the years!!!!

Advice to Management

Support is "key" to a GREAT Team!!!!!

Children’s Home Society of Florida2019-05-21

"Not worth it... save your time!!!"

Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Support staff very nice and supportive

Cons

-Low pay -long hours/ requires bringing home work -high stress -No room for growth -high turnover rate

Children’s Home Society of Florida2018-04-26

Children’s Home Society of Florida Response

May 3, 2018Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We're working hard to create a CHS where we can help create positive change for Florida's kids and families who need us. And we appreciate all you've done to help in that regard. Best wishes.

3. "Disappointed"

Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida for more than a year

Pros

Independence, children, families, team, technology

Cons

Consistency in expectations , travel reimbursement

Advice to Management

Mission and Vision need to practiced at the top

Children’s Home Society of Florida2018-02-24

Children’s Home Society of Florida Response

February 26, 2018Chief Talent Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're committed to creating an open, transparent environment for all our team members. I see from your location that you may have been part of the recent restructuring in our Mid Florida area. As we have openly communicated ...

"clinical counselor"

Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than a year

Pros

working with the children and other counselors

Cons

overworked with impossible number of cases and some of management with poor people skills who anger and upset the people they need and should have a team with

Advice to Management

Counselors are feeling people and require respect and independence. Dont need micromanagement and a ton of criticism.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2017-08-03

"Run away as far as you can"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for less than a year

Pros

A paycheck, being on your own during the day, there really is nothing else I am just writing this to get 20 words in

Cons

Micromanagement, unappreciated work, expectations to much. Slave labor, you are treated like you owe them something and you have been withholding it from them. Not the way someone who has a post-graduate degree should be treated

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-12-09

"Clinical Counselor"

Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in South Florida, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My supervisor was great and you will love the kids and families that you work with. You get to take part in different trainings to increase your clinical skills. Free CEU's! Your coworkers will be extremely supportive. It's a reputable community agency.

Cons

Schools aren't very friendly at times. The pay is not competitive and even if you exceed your productivity consistently, you will not receive incentive pay. No resources for therapy supplies, so all therapists have to buy their own toys, etc, further reducing take-home pay. The health insurance is abysmal, both in premium cost and how much out of pocket each person has to pay. The current health insurance offered is equivalent...

Advice to Management

Develop a stronger support system for clinical staff, both emotionally, and financially. Negotiate for better health insurance that exceeds the minimal value standard and meets at minimum, the silver level of health insurance offered on the marketplace. Consider alternatives to the productivity requirements so clinicians aren't penalized for taking time to complete documentation and comply with required trainings. The...

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-10-26

"Clinical Counselor"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Mid Florida, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ability to work with children and families. The clients make the job worth it.

Cons

Organization does not practice ethical standards - Recent plan to decrease pay (change to hourly pay) and increase "required" hours (47.5) to work in order to reveive original hired salary. All of your resources to engage with children or other clients are expected to come out of clinician's pocket.

Advice to Management

Follow an ethical standard to both protect your employees from burnout by following the new labor laws and respect their sacrifices. Recognize the purpose of the new labor laws and be a responsible employer!!! Also, the foundation of this organization is going to crash because many employees are willing to leave due to how management is handling this situation.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-10-29

"thought slave labor was illegal"

Current Employee - Counselor III in Winter Park, FL

Pros

Steady pay Reputation in the community Diverse staff promtoes and advances from inside f

Cons

None of that working til the sun goes down instead sun to sun with reports etc all kinds of non reimbursed tasks no raises in years for some staff while mgmt prospers and expands

Advice to Management

The basic knowledge needed to work is high high high probationary staff run out screaming in fright

Children’s Home Society of Florida2015-06-11

"''Unfair''"

Former Employee - Counselor in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have many different ways to help families in need.

Cons

They very unprofessional group of managers. They talk to the clients as if they are scum of the earth. They throw there job title around to make themselves seem to be a big shot to other clients. (personal experience)

Advice to Management

Need to be more attentive to the clients when the workers fall short of what they need to help a family in need.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2014-07-12
  10. "Overall, great experience!"

Current Employee - Counselor in Pensacola, FL

Pros

Flexible schedule that works with family.

Cons

Being underpaid, and not being compensated enough for travel pay.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2014-03-10