Children’s Home Society of Florida Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael J. Shaver

Pros
Cons
  • This is a non-profit and our resources are limited (in 8 reviews)

• Low Pay, Need a good boss to stick around (in 7 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cares about it's employees.
    Listens to staff concerns and feedback.
    Offer generous benefits package.
    Room for growth.
    Statewide job opportunities.

Cons

The pay will not be what you can make at a for profit company but they make up for it with employee benefits and perk programs.

2. "Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flex schedule. work/balance. coworkers friendly. vacation time carryover. benefit pkg,

Cons

Salary lower than other non-profits, Low Salary increase, work load

Advice to Management

More competitive salary for non-management employees

3. "Family Resource Specialist"

Former Employee - Parent Educator in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Parent Educator in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Able to create my own work schedule.
    It was all good

Cons

non
    I have nothing bad to say

5. "Best Kept Secret in Florida!"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Being able to making a positive difference in client lives.
    * Watching the kids grow in a safe and healthy environment.
    * Receiving a great benefits package that includes medical, dental and life insurance that the company contributes to – we’re even going to be offered the opportunity for pet insurance!
    * Getting a lot of management and co-worker support; love my friends here; we’re like family.
    * Having the freedom to do what I care about.
    * Feeling like I finally have an opportunity to advance my career, rather than just a job.

Cons

* Pay continues to be somewhat low; but I'm really not in it for that anyway.
    * The work can be emotionally draining at times.
    * Have to work overtime sometimes.
    * All the paperwork, but I think the company is working on trying to reduce that.

Advice to Management

Keep creating the positive change we so desperate need here. Help people to stop thinking we are a bureaucratic agency, but rather a lean, mean helping kids, families and communities team!

6. "social worker"

Current Employee - Social Worker in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Miami, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good experience overall great team

Cons

big workload need to be super organized

"The instituion is great, but upper management is not supportive with Supervisors."

Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The agency's mission, working with families who truly need services, home visiting staff, supervising staff who are so committed as Family Support Workers, having supportive co-workers as other supervisors and the Program Managers for Healthy Families.

Cons

The low pay, political attitude of the upper management where they promotes their friends, blaming others during audits, low raises, upper management not caring enough for their employees, stressful job, micro-managing the supervisors and having them give accountability of every minute of their day, bringing on low employee morale, dissatisfaction in the job, and promoting to director position unqualified employee over employees with more knowledge and longevity over 10 years in the company (it happened in Miami).

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, do not blame and take some ownership of the problem as a true leader, promote supervisors who have been loyal to the company and worked hard for over 10 years, supervisors who know the program best-promote them, give support to supervisors and Program managers, and most of all do not micro-manage.

"childcare worker"

Former Employee - Youth Worker in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Youth Worker in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed helping others suceed.

Cons

If the children decide to lie on you it can create a major liability for you.

Advice to Management

Back your staff they are really there to help and they do not need to have their reputations ruinedafter they worked so hard to build them

"Clinical Counselor"

Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in South Florida, FL
    Former Employee - Clinical Counselor in South Florida, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My supervisor was great and you will love the kids and families that you work with. You get to take part in different trainings to increase your clinical skills. Free CEU's! Your coworkers will be extremely supportive. It's a reputable community agency.

Cons

Schools aren't very friendly at times. The pay is not competitive and even if you exceed your productivity consistently, you will not receive incentive pay. No resources for therapy supplies, so all therapists have to buy their own toys, etc, further reducing take-home pay. The health insurance is abysmal, both in premium cost and how much out of pocket each person has to pay. The current health insurance offered is equivalent to the catastrophic level of insurance offered on the marketplace, which makes having health insurance pointless.

Advice to Management

Develop a stronger support system for clinical staff, both emotionally, and financially. Negotiate for better health insurance that exceeds the minimal value standard and meets at minimum, the silver level of health insurance offered on the marketplace. Consider alternatives to the productivity requirements so clinicians aren't penalized for taking time to complete documentation and comply with required trainings. The focus on billable, billable, billable is shameful as is, especially with no consideration given to no-shows and cancellations.

"Clinical Counselor"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Mid Florida, FL
    Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Mid Florida, FL

Pros

Ability to work with children and families. The clients make the job worth it.

Cons

Organization does not practice ethical standards - Recent plan to decrease pay (change to hourly pay) and increase "required" hours (47.5) to work in order to reveive original hired salary. All of your resources to engage with children or other clients are expected to come out of clinician's pocket.

Advice to Management

Follow an ethical standard to both protect your employees from burnout by following the new labor laws and respect their sacrifices. Recognize the purpose of the new labor laws and be a responsible employer!!! Also, the foundation of this organization is going to crash because many employees are willing to leave due to how management is handling this situation.

"Bad outweighs the good"

Former Employee - Dependency Case Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Dependency Case Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Depending on how your supervisor is you are able to set your own schedule.

Cons

Over worked under paid. If something goes wrong it's ALWAYS the DCMs fault, doesn't matter what. DCMs are expected to do everything. Not compensated for overtime hours. No opportunity to move up.

Advice to Management

Offer more support to the DCMs.