Children’s Home Society of Florida "children and families" Reviews | Glassdoor

Children’s Home Society of Florida Employee Reviews about "children and families"

Updated Jul 15, 2019

Found 187 reviews

3.2
Michael J. Shaver
Pros
Cons
  • "It can be difficult to feel effective as a "ground work" employee when a majority of the big decisions have to be made by upper management(in 16 reviews)

• "low pay, long hours, little room to grow(in 13 reviews)

Reviews about "children and families"

Return to all Reviews

"CHS is a great company"

Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Longevity and sustainability of the agency. Most of the field have a great impact on the families and children they serve. Growth and development of people within the company.

Cons

The salaries are lower than private or corporate agencies because it is a non profit.

Advice to Management

Ensure that policy changes that affect front line team members are communicated and feedback is encouraged on the outcome of the change.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2019-01-24

Children’s Home Society of Florida Response

May 20, 2019Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for sharing your feedback! We're committed to creating an open, transparent and collaborative environment for our team members -- your input helps us continue working to be the Employer of Choice in social services. We appreciate you and all the good you've done for the ...

2. "Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love working for CHS. I made a promise to myself that I would never work for an organization with questionable motives, and CHS has delivered. Everything they do is to even the odds for children and families in Florida. I go to sleep each night knowing I'm doing something to make the world a better place. I've made many friends over the years and can honestly say I enjoy most of the people I work with. My supervisors...

Cons

Working at CHS is not easy (mentally draining) due to the type of work it is. However, it's very satisfying work and I can't think of a better alternative. Nobody should work for CHS with aspirations of becoming wealthy. As a non-profit, like most, they depend on government funding to pay the bills. As funding gets cut, there are hard decisions to make. Despite that, there are opportunities to advance at CHS for leaders...

Advice to Management

Thank you.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2018-02-21
  3. "Great work, but high turn over"

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time

Pros

The work they do for children and families is amazing

Cons

Many staff have been laid off

Children’s Home Society of Florida2018-02-17

Children’s Home Society of Florida Response

February 19, 2018Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts. We are proud of what we do to serve children and families in need across Florida and we’re glad that you were a part of that. In maintaining fiscal accountability and focusing on CHS’s long-term sustainability, we had to recently ...

"Meaningful work"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for less than a year

Pros

CHS truly has an impact on the lives of many children and families in the state of Florida. It feels good knowing you're a part of that. The benefits are decent.

Cons

The pay is below industry average in the area.

Advice to Management

Employees need more opportunities to grow, upwards mobility, and pay raises.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2017-08-22
  5. "Program Director"

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than a year

Pros

It allows me to help families and children have bridges to success. It allows me to build partnerships with other providers and bring community awareness to the needs of families and children. I love the opportunities for growth.

Cons

CHS is a non-profit, so like other non-profits we depend on donors and grants . We are limited in services/opportunities due to lack of funds.

Advice to Management

Find ways to build trust, collaboration, and effective communication with staff. Make honoring staff in tangible ways a priority. Celebrate birthdays, weddings, births, "just because" days and proactively plan for events.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2017-08-22
  6. "CHS is a great team to be a part of!"

Current Employee - Clinical Program Manager in South Daytona, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

CHS is very supportive, they provide good supervision, and understand the importance of work life balance and self care. Some positions are very flexible and autonomous. The pay and benefits are competitive. It is very rewarding to work with families and children to help heal trauma. I can't think of a career that is more rewarding!

Cons

It takes several months before you start to feel confident in the role. Supervisors understand this is a challenge, and in the first few months they are very supportive and provide good feedback.

Advice to Management

Support and training is key!

Children’s Home Society of Florida2017-06-19
  7. "Great Experience"

I worked at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time

Pros

Interactions with children and families

Cons

Poor Management, Poor Supervision.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2017-04-04

"Clinical Counselor"

Current Employee - Clinical Counselor in Mid Florida, FL

Pros

Ability to work with children and families. The clients make the job worth it.

Cons

Organization does not practice ethical standards - Recent plan to decrease pay (change to hourly pay) and increase "required" hours (47.5) to work in order to reveive original hired salary. All of your resources to engage with children or other clients are expected to come out of clinician's pocket.

Advice to Management

Follow an ethical standard to both protect your employees from burnout by following the new labor laws and respect their sacrifices. Recognize the purpose of the new labor laws and be a responsible employer!!! Also, the foundation of this organization is going to crash because many employees are willing to leave due to how management is handling this situation.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-10-29
  9. "Director"

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida full-time

Pros

Great executive team focused on achieving the best outcomes for at-risk children and families

Cons

nothing bad to share about CHS

Advice to Management

Doing a great job at everythign

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-05-27
    • "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winter Springs, FL

I have been working at Children’s Home Society of Florida for more than 8 years

Pros

Warm environment, flexibility, caring team. Organization makes a deep impact on clients, children and families. Decent benefits are offered and comparable.

Cons

Overworked, pay is below standards unless you are in upper management, low budgets prevent training opportunities or the ability to excel.

Advice to Management

Reward your employees, keep them engaged. Pitch in and help when you can. Recognize the pay is low for your employees.

Children’s Home Society of Florida2016-05-18