Children's Hospital Colorado Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Children's Hospital Colorado CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Not super flexible in my opinion with work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Pay and benefits could be better (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great place to work I love helping sick kids"

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wor king with incredible individuals who all have the same purpose....TO HELP KIDS!

Cons

Not super flexible in my opinion with work life balance.

Advice to Management

Their doing a good job and I feel supported

2. "Practice & Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Business Operations Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Long-term employees with good knowledge base, flexible leadership, some autonomy, innovative in terms of marketing/outreach areas

Cons

Lack of decision making at the leadership level, lack of accountability to organizational policies, very difficult to hold people accountable to behavior standards/job responsibilities

Advice to Management

Make quicker decisions, hold physicians accountable to cFTE, be more present, promote the best people for the job

3. "Excellent job"

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, awesome managers, collaborative environment

Cons

12-hour shifts can be rough, but you'll find these shifts at any hospital

4. "Manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a non-profit children's hospital, rated in the top 10 in the nation year after year by US News and World Report. The culture there is every job is meaningful because every employee is contributing to healing kids. Good pay and benefits, in this day and age, both for full-time and 1/2 time. Many patients grow up and work there. Many former employees come back after moving to other hospitals or industry, thus the people who work there want to work there. Vitality Wellness Program give employees the opportunity to reduce their annual health insurance contribution byv $600.

Cons

Non-profits don't pay as much as for-profits and industry. Leadership can be slow to respond to employee's desires, but they usually do or at least find a compromise in the end.

Advice to Management

Good pay for Anschutz campus, but losing the competitive edge in salaries due to slow market rate adjustments, causing increased difficulty in recruiting excellent talent. Need to modernize and increase remote working options for non-clinical administrative, IT, data, and regulatory positions. Industry standards for these roles have changed and a significant amount of working remotely is now expected by many non-clinical disciplines, again making it difficult to compete with other hospitals.

5. "Staff"

Current Employee - Current Employee Main Campus in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Current Employee Main Campus in Aurora, CO

Pros

It is a wonderful to work with children and know you are making a difference. Pay is reasonable and benefits are good. Most employees are friendly and work very hard to take care of the Patients and Family. I love being a part of what Childrens stands for.

Cons

Since I have worked here, I have seen ongoing communication issues between and within certain departments; there is little room for mistake and people seem quick to escalate situations up the chain of command instead of trying to problem solve or simply talk to parties involved.

Advice to Management

Encourage Managers to team build within departments and encourage working partnerships between employees. Weekly check ins on team morale would be very good.
    Treat employees with the same respect regardless of their role; everyone is working hard toward a common goal of helping Patients.
    QSRS feels like a weapon sometimes.
    Discourage blame culture and emphasize assuming best intent with peers.

6. "Registered Nurse"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

plenty of lateral move options, switch departments, participate in committees, orient nursing students or new employees, attend educational workshops. CHCO has a huge volume of opportunity for those interested. For those who want to just show up do their jobs and not seek out the next level, that's ok too, just be sure to tell management.

Cons

It's a huge hospital system which can make you feel like a cog in a huge wheel but, for those who have ambition, it's a great organization to grow within.

Advice to Management

Be available to your direct reports, reserve open door hours to really hear what your frontline staff are going through, especially during respiratory season.

Jun 6, 2017 – Sr Talent Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. I think that is a great idea to reserve open door times and will suggest at future management meetings.

7. "Sr Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co-Workers really believe in the mission; developed wonderful friendship; it wasn't work, it was home.

Cons

Decisions are often made without thought to the downstream effect.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Super in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Super in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping Kids, Great management and leadership. Great and positive culture

Cons

Had some growing pains that some current employees are still feeling slightly negative towards

Advice to Management

Manage the de-railers out the door.

Jun 6, 2017 – Sr Talent Specialist

Thank you for your comment. Always happy to receive feedback privately if you are interested?

"I wanted to love this place."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is accommodating and nice to work with. The pay is better than many area hospitals ( still not great but better).

Cons

Very cliquey place to work on the units. Nurses are rude to each other unless they're friends.
    Nursing staff has a very self righteous attitude all around. No team feel. Insurance is expensive and not very good.

Jun 6, 2017 – Sr Talent Specialist

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. If you would like to give me additional feedback offline it would be greatly appreciated and a great learning opportunity for the organization. I will... More

10. "Love this job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Aurora, CO

Pros

Great benefits, wonderful staff, competitive pay, and yearly bonuses

Cons

Location. Hate the traffic to get to work

Jun 6, 2017 – Sr Talent Specialist

Yes the traffic can be difficult, but glad you love it here!