Children's Hospital Colorado Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Children's Hospital Colorado CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann

Pros
  • They really care of work/life balance and helping maintain that (in 5 reviews)

• Great Place to work as a contract coder (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay and benefits could be better (in 3 reviews)

• I guess that doesn't really make us a non profit any more (in 4 reviews)

"Broken, Political, Depressing"

Current Employee - Corporate Offices in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Corporate Offices in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We used to be a great place to work because we once focused on the kids, the mission, the employees and our relationships with each other. Those days are long gone. Our culture was replaced with a strong corporate attitude mixed in with a bit of socialism. Pay everyone the same and take away the incentives to achieve so the leaders can rule and the sheep can follow.

Cons

Politics, poor leadership, bad attitudes, petty arguments, lack of trust, broken promises to employees, removal of career ladder changes and now we are looking at even more cutbacks. A leader makes decisions to cut expenses but then gets a larger bonus for saving the company money. I guess that doesn't really make us a non profit any more.

Advice to Management

Jenna, please focus on the employees again. The politics here are ridiculous. Step 1, clean house and remove the worthless people which includes the ones at the top as well as everyone else. Step 2, quit taking away our pay, our ability to be promoted and our bonuses and still expect us to care about the success of this company. We're tired of being burned.

"Look elsewhere for an RN job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO

Pros

Make my own schedule
    24/7 cafeteria
    Dog visits with the pet prescription program
    Volunteer opportunities
    Decent Health Insurance offerings
    Beautiful facility

Cons

Definite separation between the medical side of the hospital and management side.
    All shift differentials have either been reduced or discontinued all together.
    The nursing clinical ladder has been frozen. No current chance for RN's to advance from the bedside.
    Management discontinuing Clinical Coordinator-Charge Nurse roles. Not offering to relocate these experienced RN's, only offering severance packages.
    New staffing model being implemented. More CA's and LPN's doing patient cares, less RN interaction. "Nursing Home" staffing model is the base model.
    The patients acuitity level (how sick they are) not being considered in the new staffing model (RN's daily assignments) only RN/CNA ratio being considered, therefore making many unsafe daily/nightly assignments.
    Patient/Family satisfaction decreasing as staffing model changes. Less RN presence/interaction at the bedside.
    Management not listening to RN's concerns of unsafe assignments being made. Many experienced RN's looking for employment elsewhere.
    Traveler nurses being hired instead of management working on retention of current RN's.

Advice to Management

Work a few shifts on the floors with an RN.
    Invite attending physicians back into your management meetings when discussing staffing models. It is their patients you are affecting and many of the physicians I have talked to are unaware of this new RN/CNA ratio staffing model.
    Place more value on senior nurses in the organization (10+yrs exp) instead of trying to lay them off. They are mentoring your younger, newer RN staff as well as the residents in this facility.
    Be aware that patient satisfaction is falling as patients are experiencing longer PICU stays because the floors can no longer handle higher acuitity patients. Patient outcomes will also be affected.
    Be aware that magnet status requirements will no longer be met once this staffing model is complete and experienced nurses are gone.
    Be concerned that your current RN work force is feeling devalued, unheard, disrespected, unappreciated and forced into this new model with a fear of being retaliated against if they speak out.
    Please be aware that an unsafe environment is being created by your current management style. You are risking the longstanding positive reputation of this beautiful hospital and the care that we give to our most delicate patients.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Jan 13, 2015 – Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience, as we are looking closely at the system in place and will take your ... More

"Poor Employee Support & Ancient Management Practices"

Current Employee - Non-Clinical Knowledge Worker in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Non-Clinical Knowledge Worker in Denver, CO

Pros

You can feel proud that you work to support the care of sick children. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Benefits are average. Management practices are old -- seem to come from the '60s or '70s. No private, quiet workspace for knowledge workers. Poor employee review system. Modern technology is used for administration, but not used well -- behind modern practices. Poor communication between management and employees, and between clinical and non-clinical staff. Lack of willingness to affect change. Very bureaucratic. Campus somewhat isolated. Lack of parking.

Advice to Management

Improve communication. Reduce bureaucracy, embrace managed change. Create modern environment conducive to productivity of modern knowledge worker. Increase respect given to non-clinical staff.

"The most frustrating and disappointing place I have ever worked."

Former Employee - Systems Network Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Network Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

If altruism and a sense of doing something good for your community is important to you in a career then The Children's Hospital is an excellent place to work. Additionally, the hospital does do a good job promoting a work life balance for all of it's employees.

Cons

Senior management does a poor job of understanding IT. Internal promotion is almost non-existent. Seniority is valued to highly; I worked with dozens of people who were unqualified to perform their jobs and had held the same position for ten or more years. The hiring practices in senior management are questionable at best. On more than one occasion an unqualified senior manager was replaced with a less qualified senior manager.

Advice to Management

Learn to take advice from your staff. The people who work day to day with your patients and support structure often have a much better idea of what they need to improve their work environment and the service to your patience than you do.

"Not a good environment"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The kids are great to work with and the doctor's are great.

Cons

There is a lot of cattiness a a gossip that no matter how hard you try, you will eventually be a target. Management is unorganized and unable to give direction. HR is unknowledgable of the disability laws and researchers are often neglected and treated poorly by doctors nurses and other staff in the hospital.

Advice to Management

Train on the laws of the state as to what you are allowed to say to your employees.. You should not tell them that they can't get paid for the hours worked because it is not on a scheduled day.

"Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Therapist
    Former Employee - Therapist

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, fantastic group of colleagues and kids to work with, you can serve a diverse group of families, a good deal of resources are available to you.

Cons

There is no opportunity to grow here, if you are comfortable sticking with the status quo and never having an opportunity to grow or develop yourself or department this is a perfect fit. Great teams become complacent and begin to "clock in and clock out" because going above and beyond or rocking the boat to throw out new ideas is frowned upon.

Advice to Management

Be open to less of a top-down leadership style, thriving companies don't use this bureaucratic system...your employees have great ideas for bettering this hospital, instead of smashing them and killing morale consider opening up and learning something.

"Save yourself the aggravation and work somewhere else if you're an RT"

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time

Pros

working with the children and their families

Cons

constant turn-over, management is condescending and they've apparently never heard of treating employees as human beings instead of inept imbeciles.

Advice to Management

take a course on managing with positivity instead of degrading and berating your employees

"Truly a Shame"

Pros

Location, nice building, parking, wheel chair access.

Cons

I thought working for Children's Hospital would give me an opportunity to excel and do good for the very sick innocent children. But I found the workplace excelled in mediocrity environment. It was a place going beyond expectations was looked down on and discouraged. The money was great but maybe to great because it is a nonprofit it has a great deal of abuse and waste, just like our government. Truly a shame because it is all done under the false reality of doing it for the very sick innocent children.

"RN manager"

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only positive was quitting...

Cons

This was the worst place, I have ever worked. They do not respect their employees and bullying is encouraged. The worst management, I have ever had. Shame on you Children's. I will never speak good about you and HR plays the same nepotism card......

Advice to Management

I work now for awesome company where RN's are respected. That should be your example...please respect your employees.....

"Used to be better"

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

Pros

Children's offers very competitive salaries and good benefits. The mission is excellent. I can't think of an employer with a better cause. Children's offers the opportunity to work with current technologies and enterprise equipment.

Cons

Culture has been declining over the last few years. Leadership seems a bit rudderless. A long string of poor judgment and bad decisions has led to overspending and low moral. Wages are very good and in fact a little higher than market in most cases, but in spite of that people are still leaving. The evolving culture seems to include fear and intimidation. Dissenting opinions are a big no no. There has been a pretty significant talent drain in IT and it seems to be accelerating. A growing lack of trust between staff and leadership has developed. Just recently devices were installed under every desk to monitor when employees are at their desk. The initial message from leadership was that the devices were for tracking air flow. It wasn't until later that the true purpose of the devices was disclosed. It is a real shame that this once great organization with a terrific mission has lost its way. Hopefully the new CEO can get things back on track and make the organization a great place once again for the most talented and creative minds to call home.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response