Children's Hospital Los Angeles Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Children's Hospital Los Angeles President and CEO Paul S. Viviano
Paul S. Viviano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great coworkers and environment to work in (in 7 reviews)

• Great people and the mission of the institution keeps things in perspective (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Wages are low despite cost of living reviews (in 5 reviews)

• Excellent place to work, I have no cons (in 7 reviews)

1. "work"

Current Employee - ACR I in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - ACR I in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Is a good place to work for

Cons

i have no cons so far

"Could Be Better"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

CHLA has a great reputation when it comes to patient care. It's on the top 10 list in the nation. I love my dept and most of the people I work with.

Cons

CHLA is a non-profit organization and therefore the pay does not compare to other employers like Kaiser, County jobs, or other private hospitals. I have been here for over 5 yrs and I cannot afford $1200-1500 rent on my salary. There are no raises. COLA's are given to Administrative Staff after supervisors and managers have to convince dept directors that we deserve them and this occurs every year.

Advice to Management

Some directors can be extremely unfair to administrative staff.

"IT Department in turmoil"

Former Employee - IT Department in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

CHLA's mission is second to none.
    Most of the staff will do a much as they can for the patients and the clinical staff.
    Pay was pretty good. Some leaders, now gone, tried to make it right.

Cons

Almost entire IT leadership team has been laid off or left after current CIO returned to CHLA in October. Multiple "Reorgs" reducing leadership staff by over 15 directors. Heard the new CTO that just hired on in March resigned already. That's 2 CIO's and now 3 CTO's since September. CIO seems to be making change for the sake of change with no apparent direction.
    HR is not an employee friend
    POLITICS AND EGOS

Advice to Management

Hospital leadership needs to get control of IT before it all falls over.

Jun 30, 2017 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

We appreciate your thoughts and thank you for your honest feedback.

4. "Postdoctoral Research Fellow"

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not a place for research and scientist career

Cons

A lot of equipments are too old to functionally work and CHLA allows PI pays lower than NIH grade wage to Postdoc

"Shadow of a leader"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Amazing nursing staff with a passion for their patients. Family focused environment with the goal to make being in a hospital as easy as possible.

Cons

Mass exodus of top leadership resulting in promotion of staff unprepared to lead and hiring of individual senior leaders not part of a "team." It's sad to see the progress made over the last several years dismantled so quickly. Mood Elevator way low there...

Jun 30, 2017 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

First of all, thanks for taking the time to provide us your feedback. We take this seriously and would be interested in having a dialog with you to better understand your issues and see if we can... More

6. "Registered nurse"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Hollywood, CA
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Hollywood, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital Los Angeles part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging, complex patients, intelligent coworkers, new facility, many opportunities for collaboration and research. Always seeing something new, learning something new.

Cons

Challenging to get vacation time approved, consistently dealing with catty coworkers and lead nurses that make life hard just to make life hard

Advice to Management

Use a secretary to do the lead RN job responsibilities aside from charge RN

Mar 14, 2017 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

Thanks for taking the time to review us on Glassdoor. We’re happy to hear you are challenged and satisfied by your work. If you have any issues you’d like to discuss with us in HR, please feel free... More

7. "HIM clerk"

Former Employee - Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best place to take your child for special care.

Cons

The employees were not treated with respect by supervisors.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding. Look for the good and not always the bad in your employees.

"Meaningful Work Place"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Happy work environment, you leave work knowing you made an impact on a child's life and his family. Overall good health benefits for the employee but not for the family.

Cons

No raise beside the 2% COLA(Cost of Living) yearly. Difficult to obtain a promotion within the same department.

Mar 14, 2017 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

We love our culture here as well, so it’s always nice to hear that employees find the work environment to be happy and rewarding. Thanks for all you do.

"A good experience overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I'm part of a supportive department that encourages growth. The hospital seems to value what we do. Great people on staff overall. I believe in the mission and dedication to children and families. Overall, as "fun" an atmosphere as you can get, given that it's a hospital treating kids with serious illnesses.

Cons

Salaries are not the highest you will find, but they are getting more competitive in an effort to retain talent.

Advice to Management

I love the way the CEO, Paul, is visible and approachable. I definitely appreciate your efforts to recognize the work we do as dedicated employees. Thanks for making CHLA a great place to work overall. Keep those little perks coming! :)

Dec 15, 2016 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

First of all, thanks so much for everything you do to support our mission and to serve our population. You are the reason CHLA is a world renowned institution. And thanks for taking the time to share... More

"ACF Technician"

Current Employee - ACF Technician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - ACF Technician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Los Angeles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CHLA is a prestigious hospital on the cutting edge of providing the best care for the most complex medical cases.

Cons

Pay is not sufficient to survive living any kind of life in Los Angeles. Not even close. Really bad when over half of your monthly check goes to pay rent. That leaves you with half of a check for a month. No can do. But they tell us that we are very important, greatly appreciated, and the operation couldn't function without us. That's nice.

Advice to Management

Need to improve salary to non-executive employees. Not sure how well nursing staff is compensated, but in a couple years my salary will be minimum wage.

Dec 15, 2016 – Sr. Talent Acquisition Consultant

We're sorry to hear about your frustration with the pay at CHLA. We strive to be competitive and offer the best compensation packages we can to our employees. If you want to provide us with further... More