Children's Hospital & Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Children's Hospital & Medical Center President and CEO Dr. Richard Azizkhan
Dr. Richard Azizkhan

1. "Wonderful place for children"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Omaha, NE

I worked at Children's Hospital & Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful management, great team-work, friendly staff, great learning opportunities, room for growth and continued education & certifications supported

Cons

Can be short staffed and over worked at times.
    Floating often is not ideal.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the constructive criticism the nursing staff gives management.

2. "Registered Respiratory Therapist"

Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Children's Hospital & Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The RT Department Manager and leadership was amazing! They ran a great department and created a great work environment.

Cons

This hospital is 100% Nursing driven. If you are a clinical employee and are not a Nurse, be prepared to be treated like a janitor. Respiratory Therapists are not respected for their education and expertise here. in recent history this was even worse than it was when I left, but the hospital still has a long ways to go. Also, Nursing Leadership and Physicians need to get rid of the small town attitudes and "we've always done it this way" mentalities. Lastly, I took a 10% pay-cut when I started here. They have never been competitive for wages, even after they increased wages due to market adjustments. After our wage bumps, we were still 5-10% below average.

Advice to Management

The higher-ups need to be more forward thinking and understand that Hospitals rely on clinical professionals other than Nurses in order to provide excellent patient care. Leadership needs to be more forward thinking and consider practices that other Children's Hospitals have adopted.

3. "Keeps getting better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Children's listens to employees and has been making a lot of improvements in benefits and salaries. I enjoy my team, we have each other's backs. There's a unique spirit working at a children's hospital - it feels more uplifting than working at a regular hospital. Kiddos sometimes go through so much - but yet find a way to smile each day, which makes my job very fulfilling.

Cons

There are growing pains (lack of space and parking), but the organization is addressing that with the new buildings. There is light at the end of the tunnel and it will be worth it!

Advice to Management

Our former CEO was more visible in the organization, I used to see him all over the hospital. The new one has great vision and the changes that are coming are very exciting, but it would be nice to see him out and about and engaging more with employees.

5. "Professional"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working at Children's and being a part of such an amazing mission. My coworkers are like family and my manager is great. No complaints.

Cons

I honestly don't have any complaints. It's been a great opportunity and I hope to continue my career here forever.

Advice to Management

Thanks for your support.

6. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing team, benefits and population that we care for.

Cons

Sometimes leave 30 minutes late because some kids that come in are very sick.

Advice to Management

Love my manager. she listens to me and follows up on everything positive and negative.

7. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Director in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture and the people are wonderful

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities

8. "Culture could be the downfall of a great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

Great team work, benefits, pediatric-based

Cons

Not racially or culturally diverse; Executive levels are standoffish and snobby

Advice to Management

If you want better employee engagement then you have to actually physically engage with employees on all levels. The little people at the bottom tend to see a broader picture, which can be overseen and missed by those up top.

9. "wonderful with children, horrible with employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

Pros

This organization has a wonderful medical staff. The medical personnel, in fact all the employees, care deeply about children and making them healthy and happy.

Cons

It is very unfortunate that senior management does not care about the non medical personnel at all. They give themselves huge salariies and don't even pay the administrative personnel fair wages, let alone superior ones. Working conditions are terrible for most admins and many haven't had raises in years because no one has bothered to find out what fair salaries are in the open market. Personnel stay because they care for the children, but 90 percent of them are underpaid and working what amounts to two jobs in a 40 hour week so that senior management can take home huge bonuses and raises every year.People are afraid to complain because they will end up fired---constructive dismissal is a way of life there.

Advice to Management

Stop making money at the expense of your administrative staff.

10. "Revolving door for ER Midlevels and Nurses"

Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Physician Assistant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Medical Center part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Children's matches what you put into your retirement fund. 12 hour shifts allow you to get your hours in quickly. Never on-call.

Cons

Physicians are the priority, even though midlevels do all the work. Not all physicians are good at their jobs and you sometimes have to fight with them to make patients receive appropriate care. You are constantly reminded that your patients aren't really your patients, they are the attending's patients so you have to follow their plan.

You work 2 holidays a year, & it consists of 2 days or nights in a row.

Advice to Management

Take midlevels' advice seriously. Not making your staff happy is why you lose so many PAs and NPs. Promote to better shifts from in-house before reaching out to prospective employees. Be flexible about when providers work if there are open shifts. Allow providers to drop down to one shift per week. You already have one who does that, why can no one else do it as well if they want.

11. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Children's Hospital & Medical Center (More than a year)

Pros

It's the best place for kids.

Cons

Horrible culture. They lack mission and vision. Unfair treatment.

Advice to Management

Treat employees with dignity and respect. Being a manager for over 20 years does not make you a good boss or leader.