Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland Reviews in Oakland, CA | Glassdoor

Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland Oakland Reviews

Updated June 28, 2017

Oakland, CA

3.6
Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland President and CEO Frank Tiedemann
Frank Tiedemann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Helping children, being useful to society (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits (not as good recently though, I heard) and flexible working conditions (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay, and a lack of resources (in 2 reviews)

• The management lacks flexibility, the pay rate is low compared to other hospitals in the area (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company, very rewarding"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great environment to work, all the work felt very rewarding.

Cons

In my particular case, mixed shifts made it a little hard on my "internal clock", but there is really nothing negative I can say about CHO.

Advice to Management

Back when I was there, you did a great job, all I can say is keep it up.

2. "Sterile Processor"

Former Intern - Sterile Processing Technician in Oakland, CA
    Former Intern - Sterile Processing Technician in Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a good group of people with the same goals in mind. Giving the best service to our customers.

Cons

There is no downside to this company.

Advice to Management

None.

3. "I already did this once"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is a job, it is

Cons

Too many to name, but who is counting

Advice to Management

Get ears.

"Outpatient Pharmacy (not inpatient) needs better management, but has great flexible scheduling."

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Some days are busier than others.
    -You can check your cellphone in the middle of work.
    -1 hour lunch break
    -incredibly flexible scheduling. Very easy to get a day off.
    -Learn basic Spanish from many of the people there. If you are a technician, you will quickly pick up how to read Spanish labels, even if you don't know spanish.
    -there's a cafeteria upstairs, and the location is near many eateries
    -Many customers are regulars here, and are often very nice and friendly. Occasionally you will have a bad customer, but the majority is full of happy, patient people.

Cons

-Technology is limited. Everything is compounded by hand, hand counted, etc.
    -incredibly small work area. You'll constantly be bumping into people in this place.
    -Some coworkers are very hostile. Be careful what you say.
    -Incredibly poor management. Punishment for poor behavior is sparse (if any), and so people take advantage of this all the time.

Advice to Management

needs a lot better control of who is actually doing work in this pharmacy. Also needs designated roles for the workers, as some people refuse to do work if they don't want to, even though it's part of their job.

"Sadness abounds"

Current Employee - Principal Investigator in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Investigator in Oakland, CA

Pros

It is housed in a lovely historical building with an amazing past. The staff are hard working great folks.

Cons

The number of faculty is continually shrinking and seemingly encouraged to leave due to the pressure the administration applies. There is a constant sense of dread and impending doom that the institute will with little warning be shut down.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to how your actions are chasing faculty away and encouraging a sense of uncertainty.

6. "ED Medical Social Worker"

Current Employee - Executive Director Medical Social Worker in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Director Medical Social Worker in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent team work, great safety environment

Cons

No parking without pay for it

Advice to Management

Provide more commodities to workers

7. "Was a great place to work and the children were the top priority"

Former Employee - Ancillary Services in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Ancillary Services in Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Helping children who sick or scared feel better was the most rewarding experience in my life. The greatest people of the highest integrity I have ever worked with in my lifetime. The kids received the best care from a great staff.

Cons

New management has destroyed the moral of the staff. The takeover by UCSF, bringing in their way of doing things, has led to paperwork and procedure over patient care. I saw people retire who had been at Children's Hospital 35 or 40 years. Now the best people have left bringing new employees who take a break or disappear when patients need care. Breaks my heart what has transpired.

Advice to Management

Remember an obvious but forgotten fact, that the employees have a genuine gift for taking care of kids, let them do their job instead of redundant paperwork and procedures. Even Doctors who were great to work with treat employees with a lack of respect. Look up the meaning of the word integrity or maybe just ask a long time employee, they could explain it to Management better than any other source.

8. "Great place to work."

Current Employee - Clinical Research Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Manager in Oakland, CA

Pros

Shared mission; supportive staff and division management

Cons

Finance and HR are a mess

Advice to Management

Try to adopt UCSF's shared services infrastructure but keep the hospital and research separate.

9. "Good Place"

Former Employee - Dietetic Assistant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Dietetic Assistant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was very competitive. Management gave a $10 voucher to spend at the cafeteria, which always had tasty healthy options.

Cons

Parking was very limited. I had to park in the parking garage, which cost $9.25 per day. However, there was an option to buy in bulk that was a bit cheaper.

Advice to Management

Hire more managers in the foodservice department.

10. "Special Events Mgr."

Former Employee - Special Events Manager/Fundraising Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Special Events Manager/Fundraising Specialist in Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland (More than a year)

Pros

Employees very committed you their jobs and some art the best in their field.

Cons

Often long hours, not enough resources.