Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews | Glassdoor

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is undervalued (in 7 reviews)

• They have little to no concern for their employees (in 4 reviews)

"One of the best places to work??? Don't believe it for a minute!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Phenomenal benefits with low employee copays. Competitive salaries. Convenient to public transportation. Stable company making consistently high profit. Worthy mission.

Cons

While CHOP looks like a good place to work on paper, the reality is an entirely different story. I'm consistently amazed at how they manage to keep the truth from getting out and maintain this "top-notch" image that they have, and so glad to have found a forum such as this to warn people. I cannot speak for EVERY department there as it is a huge institution; I can only tell you what my particular department was like. I am reaching to find a word that could even come close to describing the utter insanity, incompetence and abuse that went on with the higher level of management in my department. People were hired without the specific experience/background they needed in order to be effective in their leadership positions, but their abuse of power was rampant. Employees were randomly targeted and SEVERELY mistreated. Hard-working staff was treated degradingly and condescendingly; pummeled with workloads that were not humanly possible to complete; harrassed by non-stop emails and other communication; and never given praise or appreciation for outstanding efforts, or rewarded with well-earned raises. There was no place for home-work balance whatsoever; long hours were expected. There seems to be no recourse for any of this, either, as everything at CHOP is highly political, and Human Resources is completely ineffective and bureaucratic. I would not work there again if it were the last employer on earth, and the horrors that I encountered and endured will remain with me for years to come.

Advice to Management

Be involved! Find out what is REALLY going on in each department -- do not take the department executives' words without a thorough and fair investigation. Have some discernment in determining where the real trouble is coming from; then get rid of anyone who is not working to create and maintain a harmonious and supportive work environment, and appreciate and reward those who are going above and beyond.

2. "Horrible mistake, transferring to a new hospital ASAP"

Former Employee - Oncology Access Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Oncology Access Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay decently, prestigious job, feel like I'm making a difference

Cons

Coworkers are horrible and catty, administrators are horrible, little to no guidance on position, nobody takes blame or control for their problems, training was the blind leading the blind.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees rather than telling them to "figure it out", just because somebody has been doing their job for 25 years does not mean they have been doing it correctly if effectively

"Politics in the NICU"

Former Employee - Registered RN in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Registered RN in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name and not much else

Cons

Strange attitude by on floor management, 'holier and smarter than though' comes through. Tired of seeing their nose hairs because they tilt their noses up so high.

Advice to Management

Tell the NICU Management that they put their clothes on just like everyone else that works their

"My experience has been so much more terrible working here than I could possibly ever imagine."

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It feels nice knowing that your work is helping children and many coworkers are wonderful people. There are decent benefits and if you have a good position, life can be very enjoyable here as it has a strong connection with Penn and attracts a dynamic international crowd of doctors and researchers.

Cons

I had one of the worst experiences here and CHOP is 100% to blame for this. Right after starting, I had to report my boss for creating a sexually hostile work environment. I followed HR policy to report the abuse and protect a future international employee from leaving a job for one in which she could end up deported. I was first ignored for days because they have a system in place to try to hide any bad PR through a third party website. When I forced CHOP to take action, they handled the situation entirely wrong and caused a confrontation and for me to lose my job. I was treated with the utmost rudeness by the HR department for following company policy and reporting the inappropriate behavior. They then left me hanging for days while going on vacation. I had to continually push for them to step up and do their jobs in the HR department and was given no choice as to my next position. In the new position, I was not allowed to renegotiate my salary despite the job having far more work. I have been lied to several times about salary increases and have been given ten times more work and biohazard jobs that I never agreed to for less pay than was initially indicated for my first position. CHOP receives a large amount of money from researchers, so their behavior is basically unmonitored and they go unpunished for illegal actions. With the new job postings, you have no way of telling who the researcher is, so anyone could end up in a terrible situation like I did. I also tried transferring within the company after 6 months in my new position like I was told I could, but am unable to because it is not in CHOP's best interest.

Advice to Management

Stop retaliating against sexual harassment victims and do a better job at actually reading complaints.

"Disfunction Junction"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Work location close to some amazing restaurants.

Cons

Management was clueless, no organization, the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing, coworkers were evil and stabbed fellow co-workers in the back in order to rise the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone in HR and start over!

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clementon, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clementon, NJ

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (Less than a year)

Pros

Working with customers who are nice.

Cons

Slave drivers for SALARIED EMPLOYEES. If they could work you 24 hours a day they would. No work / Life balance unless you belong to their "Clic" ...deadbeats who have been there for 20 years or more are abundant. Brown nosers too. You feel like you are in second grade as for all the tattletales.

Advice to Management

Fire everyone and start with new management! No suck ups. Half of the IT management don't know how to manage or stupervise if it hit them in the head!

"Radiology Dept."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Helping kids and their families

Cons

Radiology Admin. & Management is disgraceful. Rules change weekly, blatant favoritism, POOR leadership at management level and Admin. turns a blind eye.

Advice to Management

Be a leader. If you don't know how, learn or step down. Ruling by fear doesn't make a good leader. Being respected does.

"So Much Potential...So Disappointed."

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits are OK
    Facilities are, for the most part, well maintained.
    Some team members are great colleagues.
    Many researchers are approachable and willing to collaborate.

Cons

Senior management is toxic, reactive, and draconian
    Personnel turnover rate is ridiculous and HR takes no notice (or overlooks it)
    Managers openly berate employees
    Training is, frankly, a joke

Advice to Management

Completely overhaul the department management.
    Make emotional intelligence a hiring requirement.
    Make HR accountable.

9. "Pharmacy Technician- decent benefits, but not a job for most people"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

Decent pay and did not low ball entry level pay like some employers will, great benefits (7.8 hours per pay period which is equal to 5 weeks a year), friendly staff, hard working staff (one of the hardest working team I have ever worked with!), have right intentions

Cons

Culture of throwing people under the bus, stressful- high stakes environment that could be better mediated without the additional pressure of time and staff breathing down your back. An employee jokingly stated it was a sweat shop. Rings true. Treated like robots. Have to drink coffee to increase productivity. Do not get full 1 hr breaks. Only get 50 minutes, and at times have only had 30 minute breaks. Staff are expected to arrive early, however cannot clock in 5-10 minutes prior, so staff arrive and work, but do not get compensated for this time. Physically demanding job- on your feet for the whole shift. Intense training- more intense than needed. Little to no diversity in clinical administration. Requesting time off is a gamble. PTO not valid until after 3 months. Under stressful deadlines/runs, staff can be hostile. Look for red flags- hindsight is 20-20.

Advice to Management

No need to ask for names of staff that are to blame, but instead consider the fact that the way things are run are to blame. The staff need more support and resources. No need to cut corners in these areas. Do not have staff just work faster and supervisors should step in to help (two do, but the rest don't). Create more of a supportive team environment- not one focused on calling people out on their mistakes in fear of losing their jobs, but praising staff for the other 1,999 medications they did accurately and on time. Teach staff how to talk to each other nicely and professionally when irritated.

"This is a tough place to work"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Prestige, Great cause, Employees are dedicated

Cons

Management is often allowed to treat employees with disrespect

Advice to Management

HR needs to listen to the employees more often. The Managers are not always right.