Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is undervalued (in 7 reviews)

• They have little to no concern for their employees (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best Places to work in PA,NJ and DE"

Current Employee - Assistant Clinical Research Financial Analyst in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Clinical Research Financial Analyst in Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun and family friendly environment to work in. Lots of opportunities to grow. HR bent of backwards to offer me a excellent starting salary though I didnt have the required degrees

Cons

Big company. Easy to get lost in the sauce.

2. "RN"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing place with great opportunities for advancement. Excellent mentorship and training for new employees

Cons

There are always extra shifts available, but this is good for some employees who want the extra time.

3. "Lots of learning for a student"

Pros

- Friendly coworkers
    - Everyone wants you to learn as much as you can
    - Science meetings to introduce new topics and engage in current research

Cons

None so far that I can see

4. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Collection Analyst in Lansdale, PA
    Former Employee - Collection Analyst in Lansdale, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Assessable accessible to all public transportation, some of the staff are really great people to work with. Some of the management are really difficult and hard to get along with.

Cons

The work environment is kind of thick. Not all the staff is happy to work there however they need a job so they work there. Some of the management want you to go out of above and beyond without paying you for all your duties they talk down to you sometimes you have to be able to have thick skin

Advice to Management

You have to be other people before you can be over the people

5. "Fsw"

Former Employee - FSC in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - FSC in Phila, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I had the pleasure of meeting lots people of , great place to work love taking care the children's .

Cons

Nurtion Dept has the worst Mangements . Lots of unfair favotisms . Lack of leadership seems like u in jail . Everyone is lost & confusing all day !

Advice to Management

This Dept needs to strive on employees . Not your friendship with them . That's why nothing getting done far as work . And you have angry employees why ?

"Pharmacy Technician- decent benefits, but not a job for most people"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

Decent pay and did not low ball entry level pay like some employers will, great benefits (7.8 hours per pay period which is equal to 5 weeks a year), friendly staff, hard working staff (one of the hardest working team I have ever worked with!), have right intentions

Cons

Culture of throwing people under the bus, stressful- high stakes environment that could be better mediated without the additional pressure of time and staff breathing down your back. An employee jokingly stated it was a sweat shop. Rings true. Treated like robots. Have to drink coffee to increase productivity. Do not get full 1 hr breaks. Only get 50 minutes, and at times have only had 30 minute breaks. Staff are expected to arrive early, however cannot clock in 5-10 minutes prior, so staff arrive and work, but do not get compensated for this time. Physically demanding job- on your feet for the whole shift. Intense training- more intense than needed. Little to no diversity in clinical administration. Requesting time off is a gamble. PTO not valid until after 3 months. Under stressful deadlines/runs, staff can be hostile. Look for red flags- hindsight is 20-20.

Advice to Management

No need to ask for names of staff that are to blame, but instead consider the fact that the way things are run are to blame. The staff need more support and resources. No need to cut corners in these areas. Do not have staff just work faster and supervisors should step in to help (two do, but the rest don't). Create more of a supportive team environment- not one focused on calling people out on their mistakes in fear of losing their jobs, but praising staff for the other 1,999 medications they did accurately and on time. Teach staff how to talk to each other nicely and professionally when irritated.

7. "good"

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time

Pros

good good good stuff yeh

Cons

bad internet, so annoying bad

Advice to Management

good

8. "Low Salary"

Former Employee - Clinical Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Clinical Support Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of growth in organization

Cons

salary and management dont care

9. "Nurse Tech"

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia part-time

Pros

The staff is very friendly. Being a nursing student, the nurses are willing to show me new procedures and assist me in any questions that I have.

Cons

I have so far not experienced any cons working at CHOP.

10. "Post-Doctoral Researcher"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, cutting edge research, good benefits, time off

Cons

No room for career growth