Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Peggy Troy

Pros
  • Salary, working with kids is great (in 3 reviews)

• Great benefits including free access to the hospital/clinic services and an excellent wellness program that promotes healthy living (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • They also have mandatory hours above your fte quite often, which is difficult for a nice work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• nursing does a lot of work I feel we should be involved with (trach care, trach changes, retaping the ETT (in 2 reviews)

1. "Respiratory Therapist"

Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - Registered Respiratory Therapist in Neenah, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wide scope of practice, transport team, competitive pay.

Cons

Management is never consistent, turnover rate is very high. Lots of on call hours.

Advice to Management

Give credit where credit is due. RT's put in a ton of call and get no recognition.

2. "Nutrition Care Representive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the hours were great and so was the pay

Cons

management and their favoritism to certain employees

Advice to Management

respect all your employees

3. "Good, not great."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really enjoy what I do here, the people are great for the most part, the families that we help are fantastic for the most part(you've always got a few sour apples). Family day at the Zoo every year, PPL accrual is nice as well as the option to sell unused hours.

Cons

Moving up within can be a challenge, HR is not very responsive, pay is less than other area hospitals, professional development opportunities are slim if you are not a doctor or a nurse.

4. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

I have been with CHW for 5 years, and this company has given me the opportunity for career growth as well as educational assistance (both financially and working around my class schedule). I have worked for other healthcare companies in the area and none of them hold a candle to Children's. I absolutely LOVE it here!

Cons

The only con I can think of is the pay differences, but Children's offers great benefits and in my experience take good care of their employees.

"Use to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Clinical Licensed Practical Nurse in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Clinical Licensed Practical Nurse in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice clinics and great families and doctors

Cons

Mgmt are idiots. Some have zero experience if you report anything they find a way to fire you.never listen to staff they say they encourage continued ed but are not flexible with hours. Lazy support staff treat what's left of lpn like crap. No concern for lack of staff or mental health. 2% or less pay increases way to corporate very selective discipline. Say they care about staff but they really dont

Advice to Management

Actually manage and stop the all manager meetings. Staff better and listen to people who actually have aome intelligence vs those your friends with

6. "RN ICU"

Current Employee - ICU RN in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - ICU RN in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and friendly staff with a positive attitude.

Cons

Inexperienced night shift on some floors.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Family Support Specialist"

Former Employee - Family Support Specialist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Family Support Specialist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I helped to make a difference for the lives of children in the foster care system.

Cons

Long hours, stressful job (a given in the field of social work), very low pay.

Advice to Management

Find a way to pay the hard working hourly employees more! It is a travesty to do such important work for the community without being fairly compensated.

8. "Resource Coornator Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Great opportunities for employment and growth

Cons

Quick turnover, They do a lot of revamping, with same Ideas

Advice to Management

None

9. "definitely has great perks but work conditions getting worse"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse II in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

working with patient population, fulfilling, exposure to advanced and innovative healthcare and highly talented medical professionals

Cons

pay, inadequate staffing, leadership,inconsistent, a

Advice to Management

too top heavy, not taking nurse's safety and personal wellbeing into consideration, not enough active change to address issues and feedback provided by staff

10. "The Best and Safest Car for Kids and. Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Pediatric Registered Nurse II in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Pediatric Registered Nurse II in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

CHW is the largest pediatric hospital in Wisconsin with the capability of serving 300 or more in-patients. It is a level 1 trauma center, has an award winning NICU, and an award winning congenital cardiac care program as well as award winning cancer care. CHW has competitive wages, a great benefit package, a collective desire to give the best and safest care to children. CHW is a Magnet Award winner three times in succession which is a distinction held by only 1% of pediatric hospitals in the country. CHW is on the cutting edge in many areas and is always looking for what is going to benefit the patients first and improve the efficiency and work environment for the employee. The employees at CHW are some of the most talented and compassionate people in health care. An amazing place to work where miracles happen everyday! I have worked at CHW for 18 years.

Cons

The sick leave policy needs to be revised as the current one is very limited considering the employees are exposed to many illnesses each work day, as well as outside of work and are expected to come into work unless they have a fever or doctor's excuse. This policy potentially exposes patients that are already comprmised and their family members, as well as coworkers to unnecessary illness. An employee is only allowed 3 occurrences a year without being put on notice, then 2 additional occurrences through out the year before this may adversely effect their performance review. Being tardy will also add up your occurrences as they are lumped into one category. Each time an employee is tardy it is 1/2 of an occurrence.

Advice to Management

Revise the sick leave policy to reflect a separate number of occurrences to be used for illness and increase the number of those days to 5/year exclusive of tardy occurrences thus reflecting a true concern for the safety of the patients and support of employee well being. Being sick should not create a moral dilemma for and employee who does not fell healthy enough to safely care for patients and expose coworkers to their illness.