Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Fun company culture and great benefits" (in 10 reviews)

• "Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations" (in 4 reviews)

• "off-site parking in open lot with shuttle to hospital" (in 6 reviews)

1. "Supported, great co workers, great families"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You work with some of the best people around.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive, comparable work is paid better at other places

Advice to Management

Pay employees better

2. "Excellent co-workers but difficulty with management levels"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Great place, amazing co-workers, variety of patients, tons of expertise

Cons

Difficult system to navigate, management goals sometimes create overwhelming pressure without many options to be heard or make changes

3. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People are very friendly. Good work environment.

Cons

Benefits increase $4 every year but your raise is only 2.5 % a year . The advancement opportunities are limited if you don't have a nursing degree.

4. "Incredibly Rewarding"

Current Employee - Emergency Nursing Services Tech in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Emergency Nursing Services Tech in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at another hospital previous to Mercy and thought then that maybe the medical field wasn't for me. I currently only have my CNA license for reference. The current role I am in now is much more involved for a nurse’s aid than most aid positions, which definitely helps. A huge difference between here and the other hospital, is the staff. I was blown away when I first started at Mercy and the doctors actually talked to me! Before it felt like I did not even exist to the staff of doctors.
    The particular department I work in (Northland Urgent Care), your opinion and ideas are heard and taken seriously. There is an idea board where you can submit ideas and a committee will review it and see if it would be possible to implement on the unit.
    They are constantly striving to provide better patient care and truly make that a focus.
    There are so many programs to assist those in need. From providing car seats to those without, to therapy for all members of the family, to education for those in-patient, the list goes on! I am so proud to work at a hospital that does so much to better the lives of their patients.

Cons

The benefits are insanely expensive, especially for the part time staff. If you are able to afford them, there are some nice perks. Like an employee health department where prescription drugs are much cheaper and doctors available to see staff without the wait of a normal doctor's office. Although it is offered, It just is not an option for a lot of part time employees.

Advice to Management

Thanks for picking me :)

5. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Overall a good place to work

Cons

The training could be better

6. "Hospital CPC"

Pros

wonderful reputation in the community
    flexible hours when needed
    friendly co-workers

Cons

communication not always clear
    always re-organizing department leaders

7. "CM"

Current Employee - Critical Care Staff Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Critical Care Staff Nurse in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Provides quality care
    Love the patient population

Cons

Lower pay
    Bad Culture

"Program Manager"

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

The physicians and practitioners genuinely care about their patients.

Cons

This hospital is poorly run and in a financial crisis. Part of my job is audits and you would not believe the amount of legal and financial issues. Money is the bottom line, and unfortunately upper management with rake over their employees to get it. Pay is low, don't even bother asking for a raise, and don't worry about doing any work either - CMH fires nobody. It's so unfortunate really because the work being done for patients is great, but it honestly feels like we are a scam. I don't understand the great reviews - it is definitely not the culture and environment I was told going in.

Advice to Management

Hire more coders so your billing actually gets done and gets done correctly - that should be step one to fixing your finances. Pay your people or your turnover rate is going to continue.

9. "Great Place"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Wonderful patient focused hospital. Good work-life balance

Cons

No career growth unless you're on the clinical side.

10. "Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The doctors, surgeons and nurses are exceptional and sincerely care about the kids & families.

Cons

Some departments are very stressful, toxic and have a lot of turnover due mostly to management, not the medical staff. The problem is micromanaging by upper managers, scolding instead of training, unprofessional conversations regarding patients while other patients are in listening range. Everyone is overworked due to budget cuts and not hiring enough staff for the patient care. Very little work life-balance. Raises are minimal no matter how hard you work. Parking and having to ride a shuttle!!!!