Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Layback, friendly environment; great benefits package; life/work balance is relatively better than many other places I heard; my manager is fantastic (in 10 reviews)

• Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations (in 4 reviews)

• off-site parking in open lot with shuttle to hospital (in 6 reviews)

1. "Biomedical Equipment Technician"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

It is great to see what your work is helping influence.

Cons

Sometimes it can be hard to communicate effectively with staff.

"Children’s Mercy is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission and values at CM are unbeatable, great coworkers and environment. I recommend any software developer work at Children’s Mercy.

Cons

Working from home is currently not possible. While there are opportunities for advancement it’s hard to grow your salary. The culture is clinic centric so it can be tough for developers to stand out.

Advice to Management

Please work on getting work from home started. It’s a barrier for recruitment for software developers.

3. "CMH Culture"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Children's Mercy Hospital has a unique workplace environment largely due to the patient population being that of our sweet kiddos. CMH is refreshingly fun, patient centered to the core, and a wonderful hospital to choose to work for.

Cons

Compared to the base pays of area hospitals, CMH could become more competitive with it's hourly compensation.

4. "PICU"

Current Employee - RN- PICU in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - RN- PICU in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great atmosphere and culture! Amazing management and coworkers!

Cons

None. Amazing place to work!

Advice to Management

Amazing management!

"Not what it use to be"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

2-4 patients on Med/Surg floors depending on specialty. $5,250 dollars tuition assistance a year for a masters degree and around $4,000 a year for a bachelors degree for full time employees. Health insurance package is nice and affordable, with many perks. Full time employees are able to obtain around 14 days PTO a year, based on 8 hour days. Critical car staff has retention pay.

Cons

Hospital is making eat. 18 million in budget cuts. They recently cut on call pay for salary employees, extra CA shifts on the floor, units are understaff, and the work environment is negative right now. This hospital uses the seniority system and everyone uses policies as if they’re exact rules rather than guidelines. Floor management is poor, as turnover has increased over the past couple of years. Might be the lowest paying hospital in the KC,MO area after seeing others in the area. There are so new graduates making more at other hospitals than experienced nurses at CMH. For a non-profitable private organization whose CEO’s mother was a nurse, nursing staff is undervalued. In fact recent data suggest that he was the second highest paid private non-profit organization CEO behind Seattle Children’s Hospital, bringing in around 5 million after bonuses. I believe his base pay was around 1.5 million. There is constantly endless education and modules to work. Employee raises are 2 percent annually, which almost makes you want to switch jobs a few times to make a fair hourly pay for the complex patients this hospital cares for. Always short on nursing assistant staff. The hospital has been short on nursing staff over past couple of years and has done a poor job rehiring.

6. "Great for Patients, Less so for Employees"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sense of pride for all the good done for children.

Cons

Pay freeze for several years despite money spent on many building projects. Company paid for stadium naming rights but can't seem to find money to help their employees.

7. "Great job"

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Stable job good working conditions. Great benefits.

Cons

Low pay short staff at times

8. "workmans comp denials"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

We are an awesome hospital for families and children.

Cons

The staff isn't taken care of if they are hurt at work. EVERYONE IS DENIED their workman's talked I have talked to. This is a shame that we are left to pay for everything ourselves when we get hurt at work. SHAMEFUL

Advice to Management

WHY HAVE WORKMAN'S COMP INSURANCE IF EVERYONE GETS DENIED??

Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Response

Jan 2, 2018 – Director of Talent Acquistion

Children’s Mercy is committed to the safety and care of all our employees and we follow all federal and state regulations regarding Workers’ Compensation. We would like to work with you to resolve... More

9. "Best job I have ever had!"

Current Employee - Certified Ophthalmic Assistant in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Certified Ophthalmic Assistant in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with the kiddos and their family, the benefits package, the prestige that comes with working at a top children’s hospital in the country, CEO and upper management truly cares about each and every employee.

Cons

Learning to shut my emotions off at work in really sad cases has been hard. We see the worst of the worst, so there are a lot of sad times, but it is so rewarding.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing!

"Poor upper management, poor pay"

Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Nurse Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The hospital had a great reputation and it was nice helping the children

Cons

Very poor pay, upper management was very negative and looked for ways to make middle management miserable. Extremely overpaid CEO, nonstop fundraising for the hospital but nothing passed on to staff.

Advice to Management

Clean house in upper management