Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 2, 2019

3.9
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great benefits, genuinely great place to work" (in 12 reviews)

• "Great hospital to work for, good benefits, good salary, takes care of employees" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations" (in 4 reviews)

• "Upper management can be poor at communication" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Cares for its employees"

Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Patient Care Assistant

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My managers and admin really listened to concerns and worked to create a professional environment.

Cons

You have to request paid time off extremely far in advance.

2. "Work Conditions"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good staff, amazing coworkers

Cons

Holidays but thats apart of the job

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Care Assistant in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Care Assistant in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent coworkers, great work environment, lots of variety in workload

Cons

Having to float to the main campus frequently is the least appealing thing about my job

4. "Great Hospital"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Great hospital to work for, good benefits, good salary, takes care of employees.

Cons

the parking is not the best, but if that's the only thing i can say bad is it really a con.

5. "Best job around!"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, genuinely great place to work

Cons

Pay ranges could be better

6. "Pay"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Every two weeks on Thursday

Cons

Low pay for experience and degree

"Research"

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most employees are all about what is best for the children.

Cons

There is no transparency. Advancement is attained via friendships, not working into a higher level. Research has no money at all. When someone leaves they’re almost never replaced or it takes a year to get it approved. The RI is being built with plans that are assumed to reallocate staff, which is already stretched to the max. Despite claiming research as a top priority, it is always the last to get funding and an afterthought for policy changes. Regulatory and compliance issues out the wazoo. Training is non-existent. You simply cannot say no in this environment. If you challenge someone asking you to do something you’re viewed as a problem employee, which leads to big mistakes by overworked staff.

Advice to Management

Managers need to be managed. Keeping people in place that have no business being managers because they are nice and people like them is just as detrimental to operations as having terrible mean managers. Entire research teams are unraveling because the managers failures.

8. "Expect to spend a lot of time at work"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

This is a place that really knows its mission and does a good job fulfilling it. Being able to tell people you work at a place that helps save babies will never not feel good.

Cons

If you come from a non-medical place of employment, be prepared. For the first 3 years you get 23 PTO days per year (7.08 hours per pay period). That sounds pretty reasonable until you realize that regardless of whether you're a nurse or an IT guy you have to take PTO if you want any federal holiday off. That means New Year, Easter, Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, you're taking PTO. Not only that, but to encourage you not to call in "sick" on Monday after a weekend of partying, you're required to use 2 PTO days before you're allowed to use a sick day. Instead of encouraging me to not take long weekends, this policy is more likely to encourage me to come to work sick so I don't have to waste the precious few PTO days I get after I take off the federal holidays everyone else gets to take off. This may be SOP in the medical field, but attracting employees that aren't doctors and nurses is a lot harder when everyone is expected to abide by these same rules; rules they wouldn't have if they went to work at a non-hospital version of their job.

Don't expect real merit raises. At the end of the year there is a max 3% discretionary raise your boss can give you for meeting or exceeding goals in that year. There is no cost of living raise, the 3% bump is the only opportunity you have to get something that might be considered an "automatic" raise. Anything else you need to start making threats and negotiations to get a bigger paycheck.

My other gripe may be more specific to my department. The leader of our department (which happens to be my direct superior) has way too much on their plate and doesn't seem to know how to offload their work to someone with more time or expertise to handle it. From my narrow field of view, CMH encourages this type of behavior, bosses seem to take on more work than they would in private industry which leads to ill informed decisions or things just getting missed entirely.

Advice to Management

Evaluate different departments differently. The policies that make sense for the nursing staff may not make sense for research or administration. Your policies for each department should be similar to the policies of businesses you're trying to hire people away from. They'll never leave their cushy job at an engineering firm if they're going to lose PTO and autonomy.

Reevaluate your raise policy. The cost of living will continue to rise, and people should get rewarded for doing good at their job.

Hire more leadership.

"good culture, management is so-so"

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good environment, nice culture, good benefits

Cons

management is clueless at times

10. "Patient Access Rep II, Pre-Cert Prior Auth Specialist"

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Teaching environment, great pay, room for advancement, employee's are appreciated and celebrated

Cons

I have no downsides to submit.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to Management