Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Layback, friendly environment; great benefits package; life/work balance is relatively better than many other places I heard; my manager is fantastic (in 9 reviews)

• Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations (in 4 reviews)

• Off site parking so you have to take shuttle (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, wonderful mission, lots of growth/promotion opportunities

Cons

You have to use PTO for holidays

2. "Patient Access"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere to work in with wonderful social benefits.

Cons

The benefits packages could use a boost. And being a non-profit, there are constant requests from the hospital to donate back to the organization

"blame culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

connected to the mission, kind employees, excellent clinical care for our community

Cons

severe accountability issues, leadership looks for ways to point blame instead of owning outcomes, unable to make difficult choices, stuck in the past

Advice to Management

the blaming has to stop, even HR finds excuses for poor outcomes, the staff are not pawns and are not to blame, everyone is so busy fighting for their next role that no one is actually doing the work, SR leadership is a mess but lower level leaders are the ones taking the blame

4. "Laboratory Managment is Awful...Company is amazing to work for"

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time

Pros

Company is great to their employees and the benefits are amazing. Great opportunities to move around within the company

Cons

The laboratory has poor management. Working hard won't guarantee you any sort of leadership roles. Ranking is based purely on likability and if the lab manager doesn't like you she will make sure to push you out.

Advice to Management

Base advancement on work method and not on personal preference. Preferential treatment should not be permitted when offering overtime or additional shifts.

"The bad outweighs the good."

Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Hospital is truly committed to helping all children in need

Cohesive staff and colleagues

Cons

Administrative burdens and constantly changing rules/guidelines are incredibly frustrating

Since about 2013, there has been an ongoing push from Administration to take on more and more and work and responsibilities in all aspects of your job, with no additional support and minimal wage increases (which don't even keep up with the cost of inflation). This has led to burnout among myself and many of my colleagues

The research infrastructure is truly awful, considering that Children's Mercy is striving to become a leading academic pediatric hospital that excels as a research institution

Advice to Management

Be more reasonable about the amount of constant change and ever-increasing administrative burdens (and work responsibilities) you are placing on medical staff. Many of my colleagues are seeking other job options.

If you truly want to be a research institution, get the research infrastructure improved ASAP, or you will find yourself losing accomplished researchers and have a hard time recruiting any new researchers to come to the institution

"Research and lab departments"

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interaction with patients and families
    Good overall company values
    Research department has grown a significant amount and we are becoming known for the research we are doing

Cons

Management doesn't help employees to develop their careers
    Management shows no interest in improving work conditions or finding solutions for issues/ problems
    Little to no work-life balance (I've been told multiple times that I need to stay until the job is done even though the job is never done because we do nitty have enough staff to do the work that is expected of us)
    No recognition for the work completed

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you care about them and that you are interested in their careers. Appreciate your employees that are doing a good job.

7. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with friendly and laid back co-workers.

Cons

Being on call 50% of the year

8. "Generally positive with some challenges in moving up unless you "know someone"."

Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Nurse Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Childrens Mercy has Many different locations and opportunities. The organization has a great reputation in the community and is known for helping many families from all over the country.

Cons

Childrens Mercy is a large company with not a lot of room for appropriate creative expression. Leadership may be busy and sometimes loses focus on people.

Advice to Management

Be creative and caring

9. "Transport EMT"

Current Employee - Critical Care Transport EMT in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Critical Care Transport EMT in Kansas City, MO

Pros

They are very safety conscious

Cons

Sometimes the communication isn't the best

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Love my job"

Current Employee - Patient Access in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Patient Access in Kansas City, MO

Pros

It is an amazing place to work! I absolutely love my job functions. I wish they allowed good employees more chances to advance within the hospital.

Cons

When you are in one department, you don't have the ability to move around and learn the others. You become narrow minded and it's hard to get out of a department if it's not for you.

Advice to Management

More leadership classes and have an internal job listing for internal applications first. More people are interested in positions they don't know are out there.