Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 2, 2017

1.0
Randall L. O'Donnell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours, and good pay (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations (in 4 reviews)

• Off site parking so you have to take shuttle (in 6 reviews)

"Terrible senior management"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to work with children

Cons

CEO is making over 6 million per year while the staff are the lowest paid in the city. Senior leadership is Aweful and will not correct mistreatment of middle managers.

Advice to Management

Replace senior leadership

"awful place to work"

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

pay, benefits were ok. Some of my peers were kind, hardworking people. Others were some of the cruelest I have ever met.

Cons

Senior management is rude and cruel. They are like a mafia. If you are in, you are great. If not, you're black balled. The Human Resources team is also nasty and are not helpful. When trying to help an employee, they were unhelpful and only focused on what I and the employee were doing wrong in their opinion. Employee relations is basically senior management relations. If you are referred to them, you're toast. Most of the nurses that are high up have been there for 20+ years, don't do their work and are extremely unpleasant to work with.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood. When the CEO is the highest paid in a hospital in the country, that's a problem because this is Kansas City!

"Unsafe, Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

LOVE working with kids. Children's Mercy once was a wonderful place to work, but over the last few years things have changed drastically and for the worst.

Cons

Horrible management who do not understand medicine and require staff to take on unsafe workloads and do unsafe things despite evidence based practice. Bullying from doctor to nurse and nurse to nurse is tolerated, and it is an all around very unhealthy work environment.

4. "Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

Pros

Helps children And parents cope

Cons

losing money due to healthcare cost rising

Advice to Management

go independent like Oklahoma Surgery Center

"RUN!"

Former Employee - Clinic RN in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Clinic RN in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Co-workers. Probably because you know you're all in the leaking boat together.

Cons

Everything else. The pay is well below even the lowest of market rates (unless you're in a speciality field with a lot of grant funding) - to the point, employees with small children regularly use Medicaid in lieu of the cost of CMH's insurance. The benefits are average, at best. Working anywhere but at the Main hospital immediately makes you "inferior" and last, but certainly not least, their management practices are straight out of Mad Men! From the CEO down, the only thing CMH is good for is if you kid gets really, really, really sick.

Advice to Management

Not to management - to the Board. Fire all leadership and start over!

6. "Working for the laboratory at this hospital was a nightmare"

Former Employee - Laboratory in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Laboratory in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

NONE. There are 0 pros to working for this Hospital's Laboratory.

Cons

In terms of the Laboratory at Children's Mercy, add 1 hour on to your day to ride a shuttle bus to and from your car, take 15 minutes out of your break time just to walk to the cafeteria, and every time you need to use a restroom wait at 30 minutes and fight off at least 5 co workers for a place to have a waz. This facility has the worst laboratory I have ever seen, because of its design and because of the monstrous people working in it. On top of poor design, there are too many PHDs MDs and Managers at this lab and not enough people actually doing productive work, especially in "core lab" hematology and chemistry departments. I have never seen such an intense concentration of workplace sharks in my life. There are too many foreign born people working for this laboratory and many of them have not assimilated to US culture and/or they are the type of people who view their cultural heritage as superior to that of natural born American citizens. This is an extremely hard place to make friends and approach management about anything for fear of offending someone of a particular "demographic." I would not work for this lab if they paid me a million dollars an hour, I would not recommend my worst enemy work for this lab, and I would certainly not recommend anybody have any business transactions with this lab or any other lab which perpetuates workplace misery on such an inconceivable level.

Advice to Management

CLOSE THIS LAB NOW! And outsource all your lab work to Labcorp or Quest or any other accredited reference lab, these corporate businesses do it better andmore professionally than all of the staff at CMH labs COMBINED, and for a cheaper price too.