Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Randall L. O'Donnell

Pros
  • Overall, a great place to work--no matter which department you choose (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits, hours, and good pay (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Off site parking so you have to take shuttle (in 6 reviews)

• The paid time off is earned by points of an hour and hard to accumulate, there is no schedule flexibility, or work/life balance accommodations (in 3 reviews)

1. "The most magical place to work!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I personally love working with the kids. I truly look forward to coming to work to see what cute kiddos I am going to meet and take care of for that shift. In addition, I am very proud to work at this hospital. It was just recently rated one of the Top 10 Places to Work in Kansas City, which I think speaks for itself. This hospital works very hard to encourage their employees to move up into a more senior leadership role. They also makes you feel appreciated and proud to be a part of an organization that is so well respected in Kansas City. If anyone has had a child come to Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, I have never heard a negative comment. Almost everyone has had a positive experience regarding their treatment at this hospital. I am proud to say I work at Children's Mercy.

Cons

I honestly do not believe their are any downsides. I can not imagine myself working in any other hospital or clinic than my current location. All of the staff members work together in order to give these children the best possible care. I have several friends who work at other nearby hospitals, who are unsatisfied with their New Nurse Orientation process, scheduling, and hospital policies; however, I have not had a single complaint to give with my hospital. If I were to pinpoint the hardest downside to working at Children's Mercy Hospital, I would have to say that to see some children in pain, or terrible situations, that would be the biggest downside. I just have to keep in mind that I am taking care of these children to make them better to get through the hard shifts.

Advice to Management

I would have to say that the New Graduate Nurse Orientation is fantastic. I truly felt very prepared coming off orientation to be working by myself. The classes and instructors were very helpful and made the learning fun and easy to remember. I really feel as though I am a part of a great team at this hospital, that I am truly making a difference in the lives of these children.

"WONDERFUL PLACE TO WORK!"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Everything. This is a place where the kids REALLY DO COME FIRST! From management to staffers, everyone understands this and works together.

Cons

Sometimes upper management have different ideas about how to achieve the same goal. Occassionally it takes too long to come to concensus and it leaves middle managers scrambling to implement their decisions.

Other than that...this place is wonderful!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Make decisions together.

3. "Fantastic Environment, Supportive Leadership"

Current Employee - Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Nurse in Kansas City, MO

Pros

I love working for Children's Mercy. The management is fair and high-level leadership is very competent and makes good choices for the employees. My immediate supervisors have worked with my through struggles in my personal life. They will adapt and make changes to accommodate their employees needs. I would recommend a job at the hospital to anyone seeking to work with good quality health professionals. Staffing ratios are suburb, they have to be the best in the metro.

Cons

The worst thing I can think of is that we must ride a shuttle bus from the off-site parking location. At most, this is a slight annoyance.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight for your employees. We appreciate you!

4. "The best hospital to work at in Kansas City"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse In the Pediatric Intensive Care in Kansas City, MO

Pros

Great nurse to patient ratio
    Oppurnities for education
    Hosptial is designed to truly give the best care possible to the patient's and their families

Cons

Hard to get a job there
    Lower pay initially but worth it

Advice to Management

They do a truly wonderfukl job!!

5. "We do it all for the kids!"

Current Employee - Director of An Outpatient Department (Nursing) in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Although the company has grown considerably over the 20 years I have worked here, it is still like a family. People really care about each other and most of all we do whatever it takes to give our best to the kids and their families.

For nurses, here is a lot of flexibility; you can work a variety of shifts and move around from inpatient to outpatient, quality improvement, IT - the opportunities are endless. The openings aren't quite as many as they used to be, but if you look around, you can usually move to something more your style fairly easily if you need a change or want to change your career path.

We have an excellent reputation as one of the top employers in Kansas City, a Magnet Hospital and top pediatric care as voiced by the local community and national surveys (US News and World Report.).

Cons

Salaries are competitive, but not at the top of the range. This is not totally unexpected for a non-profit organization that serves everybody regardless of ability to pay.

Because the organization has grown so rapidly, there have been some growing pains that haven't all been handled as well as they could have.

For the most part, nurses are well respected by other professionals, including physicians. There are exceptions of course. The jerks can make life difficult for the nurses working with them.

Advice to Management

Listen to ALL your employees - you hired all of us and everyone deserves to be listened to.

There are definitely positions that could be eliminated instead of not replacing positions that are critical to providing good patient care..

6. "Great place to work! Wonderful environment"

Current Employee - Professional Training in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Professional Training in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful work setting, great amenities for employees, good discounts in community, supportive leadership, great technology, great research and treatment, great patient care, committment to promoting healthy lifestyle in employees and patients

Cons

In need of additional office space for clinics, would be great to have exercise facility on site for staff

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the collegial environment no matter how large CMH becomes, continue to be open to ideas regarding growth and expansion

7. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Research Coordinator in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Diverse, salary, team oriented environment, purpose driven, work/life balance

Cons

Off site parking so you have to take shuttle

Advice to Management

Make sure your employees really know that you are there to help them grow

8. "My experience has been highly positive; colleagues are very supportive of each other's success."

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best reason to work at Children's Mercy Hospital is the support that we get from our bosses and colleagues. Another great aspect is that continuing education is highly valued, and anyone doing research at Children's Mercy Hospital will definitely have to maintain evidence of continuing education.

Cons

One downside is that sometimes the work doesn't feel rewarding. But it's important to remember why the work is being done.

"A warm, team environment where staff share a common focus and goal."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The environment is cheerful and inviting. Everyone who is on staff WANTS to be there.

Cons

The pay is not the most competitive in the area. Top earners max out early and then have no where to grow. Job satisfaction retains more nurses than earning potential.

Advice to Management

There should be greater incentives for job retention, particularly for long-term employees who max out on their pay scale.

10. "Dissatisfied with my mangement"

Current Employee - Lab Tech I in North Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Lab Tech I in North Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers and the experience I learned here

Cons

Certain Management. They don't always listen to the employee. They just assume and go off what they here

Advice to Management

Things aren't always what they seem, You need to listen to your employees more before you assume things and resort to writing them up for things that aren't their fault!!