Children's National Health System Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

3.7
Children's National Health System President & CEO Kurt Newman
Kurt Newman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Children's is a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• Good benefits, competitive salary (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth if manager and you do not get along (in 6 reviews)

• Work life balance is challenging (in 6 reviews)

1. "Clinical Research Assistant"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible work schedule, with great vacation time accumulation.

Cons

No down sides so far.

2. "Dynamic workplace"

Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System as an intern

Pros

Very diverse atmosphere. I worked in the genetics lab but not only surrounded by researchers but by doctors, nurses, genetic counselors who also shared the workspace. I thought that was very stimulating and allowed for great collaboration on research projects to work to achieve the "lab bench to bedside" drug development process

Cons

My internship position was a bit unorganized and unplanned. I wish I had had more guidance from my mentor

3. "RN review"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Teaching hospital. Great rapport with team members

Cons

Some management (and staff) turnover. But I have been there a long time

Advice to Management

Continue to foster management programs. Be mindful of data

4. "Clinical Research Coordinator"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great network and spirit of collaboration.

Cons

Difficult location, low pay, failure to provide training needed to advance career.

"Sr. Talent Acquistion Consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Children's Research Institute is an amazing group of people doing wonderful things.

Cons

Work life balance is challenging.

Advice to Management

Look at ways to improve work life balance. Consider more telecommuting options.

6. "Good place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Widespread understanding and practice of good morals, good attitude, people here are genuine and truly care about patient outcomes. Also, there is usually a holiday bonus.

Cons

Yearly raises top out at 3% and that would be with an absolutely perfect yearly review. Also, unless you are a nurse or a physician there are not so many opportunities to rise up the chain of command. Also, a bad manager will never be reprimanded, changed or even noticed on the administrative side because the span of control of senior management is far too widespread.

Advice to Management

Administrative members matter too. It's not just nurses and doctors who make sure this place keeps moving.

7. "Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being a part of an organization that helps sick children.

Cons

parking, long commute, limited growth

"Great Mission, Poor Leadership"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse II in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse II in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great mission, extremely friendly staff, flexible vacation scheduling

Cons

Poor leadership, horrible nurse retention, NO PARKING, long commute, low pay, extreme differences in bonus between ICU and Acute Care, force-feed answers to staff to appear better than they are for accreditation and magnet designation, Employ low-skilled/unprofessional ancillary staff that make your job extremely difficult to do

Advice to Management

Listen to your nurses. There's a reason why more than 85% leave within 3-4 years.

"Stay Away from Patient Access DEPT"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Washington, DC

Pros

Children's is an amazing company that provides services for children and families. The Doctors & Nurses truly know their craft. The benefits are very affordable and competitive.

Cons

However the bad outweighs the good. The attitude of staff at Children's is unbearable. Management does nothing to correct unprofessional staff. They do not appreciate hard working employees. The turn over rate in staff is ridiculous. The only steady staff are Doctors, and 30 year front desk staff that are miserable and rude.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on petty Union rules and reprimand employees for their behavior and conduct. Force out your employees that are no longer contributing to the company. Have everyone in the entire hospital take basic etiquette classes.

"Care is Good and the Physicians are Dedicated but Senior Leadership is Bad!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Staff are very dedicated and provide good care to children. The pay and benefits are very good but not worth the treatment you receive. There's a reason Children's has to pay more.

Cons

Senior leadership is horrible to work for! The culture is abusive. Senior Leaders are mean spirited and don't get along with each other and pull others into their disagreements. Senior leaders are not supportive of those that report to them. Human Resources lacks "human". Orientation for new managers is non-existent and new managers struggle and then are chastised when they don't know what to do or how to get things done. If "Children's" was not in the name of the employer, I would not know I worked for an organization that cared for children. There are double standards for the behavior of certain leaders in the organization. This was the worst environment I have ever worked in. How come an employee satisfaction or engagement survey is not conducted? The Senior Leadership would rather not know because a few of them might not be working there any longer if certain behaviors were exposed. My previous experience wasn't valued because it wasn't "The Children's way". Children's does not work to retain employees. There is high turnover and Senior Leaders do not care. It's all about the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Walk the walk and talk the talk...live the values that are established. Show compassion and treat employees with respect...they are your most valuable resource! Live the mission and incorporate it into the work environment and everyday dealings with each other. Hold Senior Leaders accountable for their behavior.