Children's of Alabama Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Children's of Alabama CEO William Michael Warren
William Michael Warren

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Children's is a great place to work (in 6 reviews)

• Such an amazing place to work, with great benefits and flexible scheduling (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay and my experience of being an LPN in the Air Force did not give me any credit or allow me to use it towards my job (in 3 reviews)

• There are no cons associated with this organization (in 3 reviews)

1. "Clinical Assistant"

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Children's of Alabama part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Such an amazing place to work, with great benefits and flexible scheduling.

Cons

I don't have any cons to share.

2. "Registration"

I worked at Children's of Alabama part-time

Pros

Nice Learning Experience, Good Connections

Cons

Unorganized, Short Staffed, Constantly disrespected by Clinical Staff

Advice to Management

Get more organized

3. "Short-staffed"

Former Employee - Technical Engineer in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Engineer in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Children's of Alabama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers we mostly good people. Job was rewarding. Health insurance was about half of what I'm paying now for less coverage.

Cons

There were three team members who either refused to work or never did their job, causing unneeded stress to an already unmanageable workload.

Advice to Management

Fire those who don't respect their teammates enough to pull their own weight. Increase the Desktop Support team's size or forever see good people burn out and leave.

4. "Great workplace with great culture"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Children's of Alabama full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I'd worked there for 8 years and it was a great experience of my life.

Cons

didn't get enough raise there.

5. "Great Place to Work!!"

I have been working at Children's of Alabama part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I chose to work at Children's is because I love kids and assisting their families. I'm currently earning my Nursing degree and would like to become a NP. If you enjoy working in the healthcare industry, you'll love working here.

Cons

There are no cons associated with this organization.

6. "Very positive work culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Children's of Alabama full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive work culture, focus is on the patients, hospital is growing at a rapid rate, CEO is friendly and accessible

Cons

Hospital is averse to change, provide a lot of support and attention to nurses and doctors but not support staff

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage current culture, but look at ways to support your other staff (especially the ones that aren't on the "front line" with patients) as they may not feel as appreciated (which hurts morale).

7. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN
    Current Employee - Staff RN

I have been working at Children's of Alabama full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment; feel more appreciated as a nurse by my employer more than previous locations; roughly 80% of my conversations w/ doctors over a 2 year period have been respectful in which I was not yelled at, talked down to, even thanked & opinions or concerns taken into account, and often got call back about little stuff that could be handled at a later time or on day shift (I'm a night shift employee); more understanding employer regarding illness/tardiness/etc and less likely to write you up over little things like clocking in a little early/couple mins late, etc (may vary a little by unit though); hospital overall is more accommodating to the pts making families/pts more satisfied with care and you feel as a worker that it really is about the pt at COA (we have free washer/dryer; tons of snacks for night shift; large screen TVs in each room; & our own hospital Getwell network on the TVs that has kids movies like Frozen/Tangled/etc to watch and health educations videos for family to watch on common diagnoses - i.e seizures, asthma, bronchiolitis - that makes the RNs job much easier and less time consuming at times; and a Child Life Specialist during the day that can bring the kids free toys, help them cope w/ their hospital stay or even loss of family or abusive environment or painful procedure); offer a great 401K plan matching 50 cents to each dollar you put in up to 14% of your paycheck pre-tax deduction & one of the best Health Savings Accounts that can later be turned into an IRA of sorts or stock fund when no longer used as an HSA w/ pre-tax payroll deductions you can put in there that rolls over yr to yr indefinitely; offer to pay for some college if you want to do NP/PA/healthcare related advancements on your degree; overall, I feel that the employees & pts are well looked-after

Cons

Pay and raises may not be as good as other places but they try to offer some good incentives like the winter bonus (usu $600 full time, $300 part-time post tax), on-call pay, & $4/hr extra work day pay, & other pay offers for staffing needs that vary a bit by unit (the ICUs offer more for covering needed shifts) and have done free food and some delicious cakes before during nurse's week/Christmas gifts like mugs or candles from the managers before; overall the hospital is a friendly environment but like any place, it can vary by people on the unit: a lot of them are very cliquey and harder to make friends with outside of work but I have found most of my co-workers are willing to help me out when needed & most importantly, when the pt needs it; the Health Savings Account is great and the health care is cheap but the health care plans w/ BCBS are not the best (but that may be the case everywhere now): they work perfectly for people who hardly ever go to the doctor or do 2-3 check ups a year without many tests/labs/etc but are more costly when you have multiple visits or pre-existing conditions or diagnoses in progress - if you pick the cheapest BCBS plan for $100/mo, COA gives you $750 into the HSA but you have an out-of-pocket deductible of $1500 that once met goes to an 80% insurance coverage/20% pt responsibility with up to a $2500 out-of-pocket max w/ the 80/20 split - this isn't bad if you just have one year you have to get everything done, checked out, labs, tests, surgeries done as long as you hit it hard & in the beginning of the year and are willing to part with the extra $750 to at most $1750 (bc $750 is free from COA in your HSA) but does not work well if you have to do this every year when your deductible begins all over again; there are pricier plans like UAB viva and others available though; other cons would be that some of the cases are hard to deal with and sad like the abused children, but more so having to deal with their family members that were involved and stay professional but that's just part of being a nurse as well; for most units you have to work every other weekend and that could be all of Fri, Sat, Sun for full time employees rather than the typical 2 weekend days that most places require; you will get sick a lot your first year until you build immunity

Advice to Management

Be able to work w/ your employees like individuals rather than the 'mass' and let them know they are appreciated and be personal with them and tell them why there's a wait or something can't be done like schedule changes; don't be too lenient especially if someone needs to improve their work ethic or is consistently falling short w/ tardiness, etc but talk with them first before deciding disciplinary action and offer help where needed; please be understanding w/ illness for someone's first year working with children esp those within direct pt contact bc all of us have been sick consistently that first year until we build our immunity to all those childhood germs we haven't been exposed to since we were children ourselvesv- these types of managers have been the most well liked and respected on our units; keep staff meetings close to 30mins post/pre-shift; bring donuts :) :)

8. "Really nice people that I work with"

I have been working at Children's of Alabama part-time

Pros

Very nice people and helpful people

Cons

Working at info desk can sometimes be boring

9. "Wonderful employment experience"

Former Employee - Admin in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Admin in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Children's of Alabama full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful company to work for, great coworkers, and competitive pay/benefits

Cons

Parking can be tough at times, but that's a nitpicking con

10. "Operating Room Technician"

I have been working at Children's of Alabama part-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, some of the lower level management are awesome and try to fight for their people, get to work with children.

Cons

Lower salary than any other hospital in the area, management has a double standard, some people can get away with things that according to policy are fireable offenses.

Advice to Management

Stick to policy, stop creating double standard. Care more about your staff and less about brown-nosing upper level hospital management.