Childrens Lighthouse Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Last Job"

Former Employee - Master Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Master Teacher in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

loving and friendly environment, decent pay, paid off days and holiday pay, your able to find position suited for you

Cons

open during hazards weather and state regulates funding and regulations

Advice to Management

stay strong and humble

2. "Administrator"

I have been working at Childrens Lighthouse full-time

Pros

Strong family environment, hire quality staff that are passionate about the field of ECE.

Cons

Benefits are not high quality

3. "Unorganized"

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relationship with children and families. Great building facility and teachers.

Cons

No resources, ineffective communication and very unorganized.

Advice to Management

Invest more in resources for teachers and staff, create a better communication system. Treat staff with respect, and genuine care.

4. "Assistant Teacher"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Olathe, KS
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Olathe, KS

I worked at Childrens Lighthouse full-time

Pros

fun coworkers and amazing kiddos, very clean

Cons

disrespectful management. You never leave at the exact time you're supposed to get off and if you have any overtime they will give you two and half hour breaks to avoid giving it to you. if you're sick, they still make you come in or stay there. you only get benefits after a year. not good pay.

Advice to Management

Take what people say into consideration

"OK if you like franchise childcare"

Former Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher in Winter Garden, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Preschool Teacher in Winter Garden, FL

I worked at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The bosses were pretty nice, supplies and curriculum were always provided, SOME room for advancement however, not with a pay increase, good first time job because they let literally anyone in as long as you're 18 and have an interest in kids. They offer some benefits including ongoing training and health insurance.

Cons

High turn over because of pay. You are defiantly overworked and the curriculum doesn't allow you to shine as a teacher. Everything is about branding to them. They defiantly care most about money and will put that before you. They are the same as any kindercare when it comes to micromanagement. Some of the teachers treat their assistants like garbage and act like their boss. Over all, my best advice for people considering a job in childcare is to avoid franchises and work for companies owned privately. A lot of churches have early learning centers of their own. Try to stick to places like that.

Advice to Management

Branding isn't everything. Treat assistants with as much respect as lead teachers. Allow teachers to ACTUALLY teach, cause you and your company are not the only ones with an education in early development.

6. "It's definitely a franchise."

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Oak Point, TX
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Oak Point, TX

I have been working at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

some staff was fun, but not many pros.

Cons

I think it all started with training, we were a brand new facility who were all hired on before the school was even done. They trained us in just a few days on what should've taken weeks. The rest of 'training' was actual construction work like unloading trucks with equipment etc. We went over curriculum a little but only maybe 30 minutes. Bulletin boards have to be the same in every room. We can't decorate our rooms or even hang children's art work. It's definitely a franchise. I lasted through training and then couldn't do it after the first day. I felt that the management focused on just getting the school open to make money instead of actually training the teachers in classroom management etc. They were focused on what looks good to parents on cameras instead of actually teaching their teachers. They also switched teachers around a lot throughout classrooms. By the first day, I know of atleast 4 employees already applying for new jobs. It was to the point where corporate had to tell us where each 'center' or 'station' was placed identical to other rooms.

Advice to Management

TRAIN YOUR EMPLOYEES. Focus on the kids and not on what looks good on cameras. I would never bring my child here after working there. Let kids be individuals and teachers. They should be able to decorate and make the place feel comfortable for themselves and the kids. It's too franchise like.

7. "Worked there for 6 months"

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Cypress, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Cypress, TX

I worked at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekends off
    30 minute breaks if working longer than 8 hrs
    Consistent schedule
    Followed child licensing guidelines
    Kids were in safe environment

Cons

Never got help with kids when asked i for it
    lots of drama, not professional
    Other teachers didn't care about their job, often left me doing all the work

Advice to Management

Be more professional, be more organized.

8. "Lead teacher"

I have been working at Childrens Lighthouse full-time

Pros

The children
    Cameras
    Half priced tuition for staff kids

Cons

Management
    High turnover
    Understaffed
    High teacher/student ratios

Advice to Management

Hire people who truly do love the kids. Appreciate the good teachers you have. There are way too many teachers who don't have the patience needed to work with kids all day.

9. "Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Director in Katy, TX

I worked at Childrens Lighthouse full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'll try to give a good reason, but then it would be a lie.

Cons

Before me 4 Assistant Directors, 3 Admin, so mamy reacher turn overs I lost count. Director was so negative, everybody was stupid, dumb, or other words I choose not to say.. no one ever did anything right and she was so smart she didn't realize she was the problem. The teachers had so many unexplained kids accident reports some were just thrown away. Hmmm and owner was clueless to any wrong the Director would do. "Snakes in the Grass".. and the sad part of it all no one had the best interest for the kids. I tried to give advice take advice as a leader and I was told " I stay in place and just watch". That was my Q to leave. Please research these places first before you get to work there or bring your child there.. Katy - Children Lighthouse, NO

Advice to Management

Try listening to your staff , it could make a big difference in how your building operates from day to day.

"Lead Teacher"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Spring, TX

Pros

Children and families are great. So are co-workers.

Cons

I try not to talk negatively, so I will only say this: eight directors in under three years should be a red flag to anyone. Clearly the issue is NOT management. No structure and no stability, for employees or the kids!