China Radio International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Host"

I have been working at China Radio International full-time

Pros

A lot of different areas to work in, can follow your interest.

Cons

Bureaucratic structure. Very little room to affect big picture decisions.

Advice to Management

Better prioritize content and personnel decisions. The most important thing is what goes to air.

2. "If I could give minus 20 stars, I would."

Current Employee - News Presenter
    Current Employee - News Presenter

I have been working at China Radio International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The name "China Radio International" looks okay on a resume, provided your potential employer does not take a listen to any of the actual programming.

Cons

CRI seems like it used to be a decent place to work. I hear stories about glory days gone by. But as of right now, the place is an utter joke and an absolute mess. Employees are routinely not being paid on time. Small mistakes in copy, that happen in any media organization, are being used as an excuse to dock wages. The place has had its budget slashed two years in a row because the central government is unhappy with the output. This is the result of incompetent management, but the same managers are still there and (presumably) taking home nice paychecks while the Chinese staff are on starvation wages and the foreign staff are being paid well below market rate. The only people who are planning to stay are those with poor to mediocre broadcasting/journalistic abilities who would not stand a chance of making it anywhere else. This is the honest truth.

Advice to Management

I would be very worried about a government anti-corruption investigation if I were you.

"Editor"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at China Radio International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a very young-age group and is very energetic. I gained a lot of field experience here, things I can't learn from school. And also the colleagues are all very nice to work with.

Cons

Sometimes I wished I could know more so that I can help more with the work. And I really wanted to work for more hours.

Advice to Management

It's really a great team for broadcasting. I love everything there and the people there.

"Stay far, far away"

Former Employee - Anchor, Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Anchor, Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at China Radio International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It can be a good start in media if you are interested in international broadcasting. Because of the name, it looks decent on a resume.

Cons

The work environment in the English service is absolutely horrific. There were a round of budget cuts at the beginning of 2016, and that meant that the Chinese staff had their salaries reduced to basically nothing. No one in the office cares, absolutely everyone is miserable. The company no longer has cleaning ladies clean the staff offices, employees must now clean the offices themselves. The result is an office (at least in the summer) with a serious mosquito infestation. There is currently an exodus of foreign staff and as a result the company is advertising hard to fill positions, but I would advise anyone and everyone to stay far, far away and look elsewhere in state media.

Advice to Management

Realize that if you cannot foster a bearable work environment, you will never be able to hold onto any qualified staff (that goes for both Chinese and foreign employees), especially given the poor level of compensation that CRI offers. Also, the quality of the programming, which is extremely low, needs to be improved.

"Good place to start, bad place to stay."

Current Employee - News Presenter in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - News Presenter in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at China Radio International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great way to get experience early in your career. Not a great place to build a career long term.

Cons

Current changes and budget cuts in the English service are creating a seriously strained work environment. Pay is well below what other media organizations in Beijing offer. I was among the top salaries for foreign staff and still earning much less than I could elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Realize that new media and radio do not need to be fundamentally opposed mediums. They can and should feed one another.

7. "Instructor at sinhala service"

Current Employee - Assistant Producer in Colombo (Sri Lanka)
    Current Employee - Assistant Producer in Colombo (Sri Lanka)

I have been working at China Radio International full-time

Pros

I like to work with chinese and I hope this is good chance to to take image about sri lanka to the world

Cons

Prsenting, Producing programmes and instructing

8. "Great working environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I have been working at China Radio International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Lack of any stress in the office.
    - Very flexible and employee friendly working shifts.
    - Can work from home occasionally.
    - Friendly colleagues and managers.

Cons

- No career development.
    - No health insurance for family members.

9. "This was a job with a lot of opportunities but not well paid"

Former Employee - English Service in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - English Service in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at China Radio International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was exciting and you get really good exposure and opportunities as a foreigner there. It was wonderful and I had so many great interviews, work trips, events, and I loved my colleagues. If you are looking for a way to get into media in China, it's a really good way to start. I would have stayed longer but it was not worth it in the end to be in debt because I was so badly paid.

Cons

It's badly paid and the commute is really far unless you plan to live out in BaBaoshan.

Advice to Management

Pay the employees more and value them.

10. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Former Employee - Editor in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

The job which I like

Cons

It's will be better if I can be assigned more tasks

11. "A good opportunity but poor communication"

Current Employee - Polisher in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Current Employee - Polisher in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Pros

CRI is a reliable, stable and established employer, unlike many companies in China. Although there are sometimes issues, you can trust that they will pay you, get your visa and fulfill their end of the contract. Good for networking and an introduction to working in China. It is an interesting experience to work for state media and interact with Chinese journalists. It's one of the safest ways for a foreign journalist to get started in China and learn about how things work here. There's also an international, multicultural office and social environment around CRI as well.

Cons

CRI can be a difficult environment for people with training as Western journalists because of the nature of state media in China. Management may not allow you to do the work you want to do once you get here or may try to get you to participate in projects or events that you don't want to do. Management and basic office structure is very unorganized, communication is nonexistant. Hours can be irregular for some employees. The office is located extremely far from the city center, resulting in long commutes for some.

Advice to Management

Improve communication.