Chinese-American Planning Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Chinese-American Planning Council Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2019

Found 51 reviews

3.2
Chinese-American Planning Council CEO David Chen (no image)
David Chen
  1. "Great experience so far!"

Current Employee - Personal Care Assistant

I have been working at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time for more than a year

Pros

From my own experience working for CAPC, several pros I've come across the year and some months are: - Flexible hours - Coordinator who I normally speak with is amazing and helpful -Overall it gives you the ability to take care of a family member or loved one whether you're a live-in or not

Cons

For as long as I have been working here I can say the only cons I've come across are: -The number to clock in/out sometimes doesn't work so if you don't have the backup number, you might have to wait for a timesheet to come in -SOMETIMES management can be a bit of a hassle to get to or even get questions answered at times

Advice to Management

Thank you for making this possible. I am able to attend to my brother with my flexible schedule as well as still make ends meet being a full-time student.

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-09-13
  2. "SYEP job, flexible work hours"

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for less than a year

Pros

good jobs hours, flexible and managers were chill

Cons

a bit messy organization wise, communication between workers and upper management isn't the best

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-09-06
  3. "It's pretty decent. Pay isn't much for 20hrs a week but its something"

Former Employee - Personal Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for less than a year

Pros

Clocking in is simple using your SSN

Cons

Can't do over time they will deduct from you and you'll end up working more than getting paid. Gotta be really precise with clocking in and out

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-07-19
  4. "easy atmosphere if you do your job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for more than a year

Pros

2pm-6pm working hours work with a partner with a class of 12-15 elementary schoolers

Cons

learn on the job they expect you to do okay by yourself

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-06-04
  5. "Good experience in children day care program"

Former Employee - After School Teacher Assistant

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for less than a year

Pros

Community driven organization where everyone knows each other. Great for some experience in children after school program.

Cons

There aren't really any cons

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-04-11
  6. "Awedome"

I have been working at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time

Pros

Easy jobs and easy place and easy teacher

Cons

Room for growth and the treatment

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-02-12
  7. "They're OK"

Former Employee - Personal Assistant

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time

Pros

Not too many cons besides the fact that they dont bother much

Cons

super old school, never available for calls, near call back, low pay

Advice to Management

Update System

Chinese-American Planning Council2019-02-04
  8. "Great Organization with Great Objectives"

Former Employee - Case Planner in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time for more than a year

Pros

The staff is very supportive, the environment is suitable for entry level and student workers, convenient location, a variety of programs to specialize

Cons

little to no opportunity for growth, low pay, small office

Advice to Management

There should be more ways to appreciate the various departments that have bigger workloads with more benefits or better wages. Under the Case Planning department, the workload is often overlooked.

Chinese-American Planning Council2018-08-28
  9. "Great place to work and grow"

Former Employee - Program Aide

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for less than a year

Pros

While I cannot say for most non-profit organization, looking back, there were a lot of things that I took for granted that I realized was valuable for someone who was looking for opportunities to grow at a work place environment with any background. These included professional coworkers and supervisors who were polite and respectful in educating, training and dealing with new coworkers who have made mistakes. ... There were deadlines to look out for, communities to reach out to and departments to communicate with, but they could be completed at a reasonable time frame. The staff believe that there were many ways to get assignments done which is great because that means no supervisor/coworker would be breathing down your neck and expecting you to follow a procedure step by step as long as you did what you had to based on the guidelines. To show appreciation, coworkers/supervisor would host parties or events such as group lunch just for the sake of having a good time. All in all, it just felt a lot of things were taken care of in order for you to focus on your work.

Cons

The most obvious would probably be low pay and occasional overtime depending which department you worked in. But despite these drawbacks, it should not steer anyone from working here. Reason being this place has great culture and make sure the workers are appreciated for the work they do. Furthermore despite the low pay, there are some who have work here for years before moving on due to the friendly environment... which many work places lack.

Advice to Management

I cannot say due to my short time frame in the organization. But I can say, keep up the good work. The work culture is something to be respected. Perhaps expand, but that is asking a little bit too much since a lot of their funding is government based which greatly determines its programs and how much staff they can have at a given time.

Chinese-American Planning Council2018-08-22
  10. "SYEP TA"

Former Employee - SYEP TA in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for more than a year

Pros

- you will learn a lot about handling children - some staff are nice and accommodating - kids are rewarding to work with

Cons

- cliquey teachers divided into groups are usually a bad sign of an unhealthy work environment. - There are either very hardworking teachers or extremely lazy teachers - co-workers can be cold, excluding and gossipy - management does not seem to care about employees, give credit or appreciate your efforts - little to no growth, very static environment

Advice to Management

Try to hire more competent teachers who actually care about the students or at least provide proper guidelines to educating children instead of dismissing internal problems. The toxic environment is what's driving away many of your teachers. Get rid of internal affairs and be more professional to the employees.

Chinese-American Planning Council2018-08-17