Chinese-American Planning Council Reviews | Glassdoor

Chinese-American Planning Council Reviews

Updated Sep 13, 2019

Found 51 reviews

3.2
Chinese-American Planning Council CEO David Chen (no image)
David Chen
  1. "OK start for those looking to gain experience"

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time for less than a year

Pros

CPC is huge: it has many divisions and many staff so it really depends on the team. My team/division is great overall compared to others. Depending on the branch/team, sometimes you see really sloppy staff (i.e. not professional at all, way too chilled at work) or you see hardworking ones. It's definitely a decent place to start your nonprofit/public service career as the organization itself has been in the industry... since the 1960s. The new CEO has been working on rebranding and partnerships so I think CPC is going towards a bright direction. General pros: - If you bond right, then your team would be like a family to you - Basic health insurance (you have to pay a premium) - Excellent vacation/paid/sick leave (double of the industry standard, for full-time staff) - Laid back in general / Most staff aren't professionally dressed (not even business causal)

Cons

- Too crowded / Limited office space for staff and clients; noisy environment to work - Low pay - No room for growth in general since senior staff tends to stay in the same position for years/life, or they only promote those who are already in managerial positions - Not stable. Some (new) positions are grant-funded so people often come and go - Out of the 3 branches, only the Queens branch is suitable for work... as it's brand new so everything is updated. Manhattan and Brooklyn branch need a serious make over and technology update.

Advice to Management

- Needs better internal communication and training between different divisions and actually take action to improve things, not just talks. There are many people in the organization who still don't know what services their company offer to clients. - More opportunities for advancement

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-07-17

"Great for seasonal/temp but go somewhere else for long-term."

Former Employee - SYEP Worksite Monitor in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Good for entry level positions and temp/seasonal positions, especially if you have a contact within CPC. -Likes to hire/promote from within before opening opportunities up to public. -Laid back and no micromanaging. (see cons) -Good relations with organizations that provide grants, thus, a lot of program expansion and agency growth. (see cons) -If you have good relations with someone in management, you will be... in good hands.

Cons

-Likes to hire/promote from within... which leads to sometimes hiring based on seniority. Unqualified individuals are promoted, and do not lead/supervise well. -Promotions only exist if someone leaves their position, which is often rare. Or it occurs if a new position is created, which is also rare. -No overtime pay but you get compensated time for chaperoning trips longer than work hours or working on weekends.... Also, sometimes you're mandated to attend something outside of work hours. -A lot of paperwork (big con if you are working with a lot of staff that touches the paperwork because it can easily get lost and fingers are pointed). -Laid back to the point where employees sometimes to do not do work, causing them to stay unnecessarily late to finish work that could have been done a while ago. Some even show up extremely late to work constantly due to lack of discipline and supervision, and this goes unaddressed sometimes. -Some supervisors don't do their work or push their responsibilities onto others, show up whenever they want, disappear without telling staff what their schedules and whereabouts are - all while sitting on a potential raise or even their current salary they do not deserve. Some evaluation of supervisors from staff they work with/manage should be completed. -Not the brightest nor intellectually challenging people as coworkers -Can get extremely overcrowded during busiest programming seasons (like during summers) and there might not be enough seats for every staff which is ridiculous. -Terrible communication between employees so issues often arise and a lot of finger pointing and tension as a result. -Employees are disrespected and not appreciated. Some staff are also very immature/unprofessional and can get petty and passive aggressive about minor things.

Advice to Management

-Needs to have more agency-wide mingling opportunities. Worked here for years but am unfamiliar with all of the divisions we have and the work they do. (New CEO seems to be doing a good job so far on this). -Management should show up to events and other locations from time to time. Usually, management would show up at big events like the annual gala (agency-wide gala, or branch galas). -Don't take your staff as... assistants and paper pushers. Help them to actually develop skills that can be used to help them grow into higher positions. -Provide more opportunities for training for staff that are not from the same old, generic partnering agencies. -Sensitivity training, sexual harassment prevention training, or even simple professionalism training is needed. Heard way too many sexist, homophobic, racist, ignorant, bigoted, lewd, inappropriate statements made by staff - sometimes in front of clients, too. -Some staff are very unprofessional (unable to send emails nor answer phone calls with professionalism), terrible relationships between employees that lead to hostile, unproductive, and unwelcoming environments, poor/rude treatment of clients sometimes. Train staff on how to properly send emails, answer/make phone calls, etc. because it seems necessary. -Look for more space especially if you're growing rapidly. More programming = more people to hire = more space needed. -Technology is old and should be updated. Often, wifi connectivity and speed are issues, along with phones not working properly. Laptops are somewhat outdated and slow. Limited wifi connectivity and not accessible through the whole facility. -More transparency on what the agency and programs are doing, what upper/senior management is doing/planning, etc. (New CEO is doing very well on this, and actually sends out emails to staff while welcoming replies from staff, too).

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-06-24
  3. "Good entry level jobs"

I have been working at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time

Pros

Great for those with little experience and are looking to gain more knowledge. Opportunity for growth

Cons

Facility/technology needs to be updated to keep up with growing demands. Salary is low compared to similar positions in other organizations

Advice to Management

Invest in updating facility and technolgy

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-06-17
  4. "Nice colleagues"

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time

Pros

Leaders and colleagues are nice.

Cons

Since it is the down Manhattan, there is no parking area in that place.

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-03-21
  5. "Entry Level"

I have been working at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time

Pros

Dedicated staff, benefits are decent,

Cons

Salary is lower than other similar positions

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-03-03
  6. "Good Non-profit That Needs To figure Out Kinks"

I have been working at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time

Pros

- nice co-workers - everyone believes in serving marginalized communities

Cons

- some office politics and fiscal issues

Chinese-American Planning Council2017-02-21

"Intern"

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time

Pros

Staff and supervisors are very nice and understanding, willing to help with any questions you may have.

Cons

Workplace is a tad bit disorganized, a lot of random papers floating around. Could use a little more organization

Advice to Management

Other than the bit of disorganization, I have no other things to say other than come up with a more organized system for filing important documents.

Chinese-American Planning Council2016-09-30
  8. "Good company to learn/grow"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked for the Chinese-American Planning Council for six years and I enjoyed my experience there. I was an ESL teacher and job developer. I learned a lot from my former director, J.C. and supervisor S.C. I made friends but most of all teaching my students was the greatest experience. I was laid off, but if I wasn't I would still work for them. Pay was decent.

Cons

There were some favoritism between teachers, and sometimes not being the same culture or race of the staff (predominately Chinese) made things tough to be fully accepted. I'm speaking from personal experience. Also, I wish being informed of my lay off was done in a professional manner.

Advice to Management

Better communication with staff regarding pending lay offs, fair treatment of staff being let go (professionalism is a MUST), less favoritism, more acceptance of all people from all races and backgrounds.

Chinese-American Planning Council2016-09-14
  9. "Relaxed"

Office Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly. Staff and supervisors are very engaging. Always offer opportunities that will help you develop. Very active in the community

Cons

Not much negativity. I enjoyed working here. Socialized and met a lot of friends who have the same goal as you do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in serving the community!

Chinese-American Planning Council2016-09-13
  10. "Group Leader"

I worked at Chinese-American Planning Council part-time

Pros

very supportive environment. great fellow teachers.

Cons

can't really think of any

Chinese-American Planning Council2016-09-08