Chipotle Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Updated April 7, 2017

Denver, CO

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Steve Ells

Pros
  • Free food when you work, fast paced environment, focuses on achieving your best (in 568 reviews)

• Free meal during shift and 50% off once a day if off shift (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of work and you do not get enough pay once you start learning all the positions (in 58 reviews)

• Sometimes as a kitchen manager you put in double the amount of work as service managers and it can be frustrating (in 50 reviews)

1. "Its ok"

Current Employee - Crew Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle (More than a year)

Pros

The crew
    The environment
    The vision

Cons

It's like a high school movie

Advice to Management

Be more professional

2. "Would not recommend."

Current Employee - Crew Member in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are generally cool. The food is good until you work about 6+ months. The only thing that makes this job semi-worth it is that you have great coworkers including the service managers but that's where it ends. The general managers/restauranteurs think they're great to their employees but such is not the case.

Cons

Micromanagement--the restaurateur at my location has a serious problem with micromanagement. Not only them, but also the corporate team leaders that come in do this as well. They treat you like a child and it's condescending.
    The pay is terrible. I work nights to pay my rent while I'm in grad school but close to 90% of my income goes to paying my rent, and, I like to have some money to pay for oh I don't know... food, gas, or whatever. I've been promised a promotion, scheduled for 5 days of training and then nothing became of it. I asked about what happened and was told that "things were difficult right now." I asked for more hours and to my surprise, I received them, only to get yelled at when I get overtime because my boss wants to get his bonus. The management, general managers and above, care more about themselves and getting their bonuses while the rest of us struggle on the meager wages they give you. I've worked at two different stores and I've helped out a few times at another and this appears to be common, but I can only speak for myself.
    Additionally, I've had a few customers say some racist things to me and I've been explicitly told not to defend myself which is ludicrous.

Advice to Management

Get new management.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meal card, central location to transportation, & great company values.

Cons

Very poor Management with little oversight and therefore high turnover, management was embarrassingly unprofessional, & promotion was based on popularity contest.

Advice to Management

If you have one manager who is responsible for the turnover of sixteen employees, perhaps it would be in your best interest to investigate this manager. Manager was extremely unprofessional, did not know how to do the job he was managing, and played the popularity game. It's really sad because the culture of the company is so great but how blind can you be to ignore the money you are losing from outstanding items due to the high turnover of one crummy manager?

"Corporate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

They celebrate small successes and their focus is on getting the job done. Very open and supportive to developing their internal staff and promoting within.

Cons

can become very rigid when you challenge the wrong person although they encourage it. Claims its apart of development but truth be told it is your death sentence. if you want to be successful here don't grow a brain and know your place if your in leadership.

Advice to Management

Recognize that you don't know everything that goes on in the outside word. Be more open and do exit interviews vs. reading Glassdoor. Take the responses to your meetings and truly look at how you may have miss the bar a few times THEN make steps toward getting better. Acknowledge you don't have all the answers inside the CHIP. Your ex-employee list is getting bigger than your employee list....that's not always good.

"(HQ) Steer Clear - DO NOT APPLY FOR LEASE ADMINISTRATION TEAM"

Former Employee - Lease Administrator in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle (More than a year)

Pros

Free Chipotle meals, wear whatever you want, made some great friends

Cons

AWFUL MANAGMENT!!!!! The Manager has been the cause of almost 20 people leaving Chipotle and the list of people who have worked there continues to grow. There is no accountability for their actions and they prefers one person (who was almost fired multiple times because they were not pulling their weight), and as a result everyone else is leaving. They play favorites, but the favorites are not the people who were actually making a difference in the company.

When these complaints have been brought to the Director, they were ignored. When brought to HR, no action was taken. Complaints had to be brought up after people left because the manager fired someone for going to HR and told the whole team that should be an example of what happens when you go to HR.

Underpaid, overworked, taken advantage of. Promised career opportunities, but always had strings attached or another obstacle to overcome.

Advice to Management

READ EXIT INTERVIEWS AND TAKE ACTION. This team has had non-stop turnover since this manager was hired - THE ISSUE IS HIM!!!!!!! Life after Chipotle has been significantly better and you are missing out on great people who can make a difference - instead we are making a difference for other companies, including your competition. I was a loyal Chipotle fan since the first store, and now I don't recommend the food or the job to anyone based on my experiences.

Deal with the issues on this team and identify what the real issue is. Take a serious look at the effect you are having on the brand, but also the emotional effect you are having on your people. For bragging about your people culture, Finance CLEARLY doesn't understand what that means as they treat their people like crap, and as a result can't keep anyone!

"Working at chipotle"

Current Employee - Grill Cook in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Grill Cook in Denver, CO

I have been working at Chipotle full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment and caring company.

Cons

No amount of care and almost no pay can compensate for the fact that you still work in fastfood.

Advice to Management

Keep at it.

8. "If you're interested in restaurant employment, Chipotle is a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Crew in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Crew in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very strong ethics within the company, and the only restaurant that I've worked at where I haven't felt disposable. They pay very well in comparison to competition.

Cons

There isn't much in the way of "moving up" at a restaurant. There is a clearly defined ladder to climb, but it takes a while to move up and the pay isn't the best around.

"fired on 2nd day. they expect too much, too soon."

Former Employee - Crew Member in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Crew Member in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honest about where their food comes from

Admirable company vision and mission

Friendly environment

Cons

If you're shy or have a naturally "sad" looking face, you have to SLAP on a smile. If you look sad for at least a day of work, you'll probably be fired. They expect 24/7 enthusiasm and smiles. Even if you're just deep-in-thought processing and absorbing all the information, put a smile or enthusiastic expression on your face.

You're expected to know everything after a day of training. If they say you can watch and listen or take a hands-on approach to learning, that is a lie. Absorb as much information as you can, and start diving in immediately.

Advice to Management

Maybe try not to fire new hires after a day of training. You hired these people for a reason and observing them for only a day will create a serious lack in proper judgment. They presumably held the 13 Characteristics you were looking for. Give it a week or two before you decide to fire them. Some people don't get a hold of things right off the bat. Give them a PROPER chance.

10. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I worked at Chipotle full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You meet and work with a diverse group of people. Great benefits package.

Cons

At the time I was employed, upper management had an unrealistic time management system. Tasks, training and development needed to happen on more frequent basis. High turnover. Very little work life balance.

Advice to Management

More communication with upper management , the vision is not always clear when you have to work 60 + hours a week to maintain set operational levels. Manager turnover is due to burn-out and unrealistic expectations in some areas.

11. "Great People and Great Culture"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

Personal and professional development, amazing people culture, great food

Cons

Work/life balance, below market compensation

Advice to Management

Reconfigure compensation plan. Improve work life balance. Value external hires more

Showing 56 of 3,174 reviews