Chloe + Isabel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Doug Hepfer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Too much emphasis on social media, very time consuming" (in 9 reviews)

• "New direct sales format forces you to recruit" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Small Enough to Be Involved, Big Enough to Make a Difference"

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time

Pros

Coworkers, Community, Serious About the Work, Great Benefits

Cons

Company is Transitioning, Looking to backfill key roles

Advice to Management

Maintain the quality mindset/focus of the company

2. "Started off great but company and product have gone downhill."

Former Employee - Merchandiser

Pros

Good community of women trying to make it work!

Cons

Products are now far less quality and designs have not kept up with current trends. Difficult to sell a product when you no longer like any if the pieces! They now require minimums and push you to recruit. Used to be proud they were not an MLM, but that changed!!

Advice to Management

New design team, stay away from the MLM platform

"Chloe + Isabel is an Insulting Scam"

Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Chloe + Isabel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros: You work for free, you have to pay for the jewelry (even discounted, that doesn't seem fair), too much competition; you're on your own with training unless they like you, management makes it look like they're concerned, but it's all talk and no action. Then they kick you out for not making enough money for them. Unlike the stated vision of the company, they aren't out to help the merchandiser.

Cons

expensive jewelry, horrible management, horrible mentoring, exclusive mentality, cliquish, con artists, the CEO is out to profit from you before kicking you out

Advice to Management

In the beginning of my time (October 2017) with C + I, I thought it was a great company to work with and it was fun. That quickly changed as I spent over $1,000 and earned only about $100. Granted, my family is also to blame for lack of support. But I also believe this company is partly to blame as I did not have time to seek a new network. I posted on Instagram, twitter, and Facebook multiple times per day, and went to some vending events. I tried to take advantage of the business partner program and wrote several emails to local businesses in addition to going in-person to local businesses. I wore my jewelry everywhere I went to generate interest and gave interested individuals business cards. Nobody was interested. The prices of these pieces was probably a factor in my inability to sell. In short, I worked very hard for you for FREE and felt outraged that I had to be forced out of this business after all of the hard work and money I gave to your company. To be excluded like that is unacceptable....very unacceptable. It still affects me.
    As of now, I'm broke. I had to lose my apartment and move in with my parents because of your company. I won't accept being treated like that. So I'll no longer be purchasing from this company and will tell everyone about my experience with Chloe + Isabel every chance I get. I felt insulted by the offer to remain associated as part of the rewards program. I declined this offer.

I joined this company to earn an extra paycheck for MYSELF. I didn't do it so that the CEO or any other part of the leadership team could make a profit. I thought that was what your company stood for in terms of supporting and empowering female entrepreneurs. I did not receive that support by this policy change or by any mentor or individual involved with C +I. I was excluded.

I joined to make an extra pay check because I was a single woman with a doctoral degree that owed $200,000+ in student loans in addition to being the only person responsible for paying $1,200 in monthly rent, groceries, internet, and utilities. In the end, C+I ruined my life. I'm bankrupt, have no home of my own, and have had no income for over a year.

I hate to say it, but I hope karma remembers this company. Every time I think of C + I, my fond memories will be replaced with disgust.

How is it that Doug Hepfer is running this company? What does he know about jewelry? Why not kick him out instead?

4. "Overall a Great Company"

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent quality jewelry and amazing design team
    No requirement to recruit to stay a merchandiser
    No annual fee for the website
    Customers are very enthusiastic
    Rich rewards for merchandisers and hosts

Cons

They’ve started making the incentive trips entirely based around recruiting rather than giving the option to earn through sales, and it’s something like needing to recruit 5 Qualifying people in a 2.5 month period.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Chloe + Isabel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work your business full time; or just as a side hustle. You get out what you put in.... that was the company I joined.

Cons

the message of female empowerment is infuriating. New leadership took over in 2017. No longer about supporting the community and female empowerment. Leadership will not listen to feedback given repeatedly from the field. It’s Denise is iminate.

Advice to Management

Heartbroken to see what used to be an embracing community destroyed to feed a leaders ego.

"Fun and flexible"

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not an MLM> no need to recruit others
    Flexible
    Having parties and selling is pretty fun

Cons

No regular pay—some months are great, some are a bust. You never know.
    There’s pressure from management to keep buying new collections, which can eat away at your profits quickly

"Used to be Great.. Now, be Weary"

Current Employee - Chloe and Isabel Merchandiser in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Chloe and Isabel Merchandiser in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount on jewelry
    Support from District/Region Management is great
    Great group of supportive consultants in the same boat

Cons

The jewelry cost has gone up significantly, and I feel like I cannot justify the cost to my customers anymore. Therefore, its hard to make sales now.

The design is the same thing recycled over and over with different colors isnt a great strategy. Might be cost effective for corporate, but the customers can see it and are annoyed and not purchasing.

The new leadership is a bit funky. I preferred when Chantal was in charge and was VERY sad to see her go. Not that Doug isnt a great CEO, I just dont know if he's a great CEO of a jewelry company. I think he relies heavily on the women in upper management for advice, etc. Just seems weird.

I've just lost all interest in trying to make sales because I dont believe in the company anymore.

Customer credits should NEVER expire. I have customers who were saving credits to buy something they loved, but the prices went up and they had to try to save their money a little longer just to see that their credits were gone. Lost some customers on that one.

Advice to Management

Please work on the design process--it seems that you've gotten lazy lately. Just because a piece sells well in one color set, doesnt mean it needs to be reproduced 3 more times in different colors.

You've got to do something about the pricing. The quality of the pieces has gone down, in my opinion, so why do the prices need to go up so significantly? Trying to cover up the fact that you're reusing designs by upping the price doesnt make it easier to sell for your consultants. Customers who buy frequently know what's happening.

Just make things more affordable! Even with the merchandiser discount, I can barely afford to buy the newly launched pieces.

"Don’t work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It used to be a great place to work. Very supportive community and very high quality jewelry (but not anymore, sadly)

Cons

Major changes have been applied since Doug became CEO, mostly are bad unfortunately. He is a nice person himself, but the way he leads this company will turn it into the second Lia Sophia!
    - the design is going down hill dramatically. Keep repeating the same designs for 2 years (just change color) is NOT a design at all.
    - decrease quality and increase price?? (Increase like $20/piece). Then constantly has sales every WEEK. That just ruin C+I reputation completely. Imagine Apple constantly have sales on its phones, will you still trust them and value them? If you want your products to be high-end, keep your price and your pride. If you want it to be “budget friendly”, lower your price! Make up your mind and choose a clear path. Set your price high then have constant sales is NOT the right strategy at all.
    - why change into MLM ? The company stands out among other direct sale companies thanks to that. I was so proud to represent the company that NOT recruited.
    - all comments in FB page has to be “appoved” by mod not. No more transparency, no more honesty, no more free speech and no more real support. Everything you see on FB page now only compliments, which create a fake positive atmosphere.
    - Care teams respond really slow, sometimes no where to be reached

Advice to Management

It brokes my heart to see how you lead this company (to the forseen death). It used to be very unique and truly a place to empower woman. Advice for you: if you do care about the company, please read all of opinion here. And do some changes while you still can!

Your employees are not clueless stupid stay at home mom, we are everyone from social workers to teacher, nurse, business owner... Some even has master degree or PhD. So please stop treating us as idiots, force us to make more money for you and ruin the company’s reputation at the same time!

"Manager"

I worked at Chloe + Isabel full-time

Pros

good company for it being start up

Cons

effort required to turnaround business

"Going Down Hill"

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lifetime guarantee on products, great commission, good discount on products.

Cons

Quality of jewelry has gone down hill severally fast. Product with obvious defects are sent out as "brand new" to customers. No quality control any more. The only bonus is the lifetime guarantee so that customers get a new piece sent to them right away. The original CEO and Founder was kicked out by the investors against her will. With her being gone, the original mission of the company has gone away, which was empowering women. I no longer feel empowered by this company. It has gotten catty with other merchandisers. The company really pushes recruiting now. Never had to recruit at all before. Now if you want any incentives to make working for this company worth while, you have to recruit. Why would I get rid of my best customer? Because once they start working for the company, you no longer benefit from them besides a one time incentive.

Advice to Management

Should have kept the founder.