Chloe + Isabel Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Chantel Waterbury

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Recruiting is not required; beautiful jewelry designs; wonderful training opportunities; a positive, supportive culture (in 11 reviews)

• Work from home on your own schedule (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much emphasis on social media, very time consuming (in 8 reviews)

• It's just another direct sales company - nothing "con" about it (in 6 reviews)

1. "Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandiser
    Former Employee - Merchandiser

I worked at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Numerous opportunities to advance
    Good Quality Products

Cons

constantly working
    commission only
    lose more money then gain

"Poor growth opportunities and management"

I worked at Chloe + Isabel full-time

Pros

Flexible, nice office , summer Fridays

Cons

Management skills, lack of communication, no room for growth, not very organized

3. "Merchandiser"

I worked at Chloe + Isabel part-time

Pros

Really cute jewelry. Had fun with pop up boutiques.

Cons

No ranche that I can think of.

"merchandiser"

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel (More than 3 years)

Pros

The jewelry is absolutely beautiful and the lifetime replacement guarantee is a bonus.

Cons

Unless you are among a small percentage it is very difficult to not only make back your investment but to make a livable salary. You are constantly putting out money for new lines. Over the course of 3 years the quality has become sunpar and customers are noticing. There are often damaged items in shipments and as wonderful as the lifetime replacement guarantee is, it can be a long process to get replacement. Care is not always helpful or reachable and this has always been an issue. They make it look like a tight community but in reality MM are not always available or helpful. I've never even spoken to mine personally or even received a personal message from her but my previous MM was amazing.
    It is easy to get a few repeat customers but hard to branch out and those customers will only buy so much over time. It isn't a multi level business so that is a plus but nothing else about it flows. Be prepared for people to ignore your efforts. They will tell you the problems with damaged jewelery is minimal in comparison to other companies but it is rampant and you will see that overtime. Merchandisers are constantly leaving the business for this reason and no way to make a living . all of the cons they will try to make excuses for and make it out to be disgruntled merchandisers. Be prepared for 40 year old cheerleaders on the phone calls, you know women who up speak and suffer vocal fry and follow that fake enthusiasm script and are among the tiny percentage of successful c+i employees.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about how unrealistic what you say is possible is. Don't paint merchandisers as the problem if they don't sell well because the quality is lacking and it looks bad with the amount of problems with the jewelry overall.

"Good at beginning but..."

Former Employee - DMM
    Former Employee - DMM

I worked at Chloe + Isabel (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company was great in the beginning. Felt valued and appreciated.

Cons

Grew too fast, favoritism is ridiculous and commission was not equal to hours put in.

Advice to Management

Don't let certain people get away with things that others get punished for. Be consistent. Listen to your employees and acknowledge their concerns.

"It's all smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Chloe + Isabel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are mostly supportive of each other, the entrepreneurial spirit is exciting, and one can work independently in their position.

Cons

Where to begin! Mainly, it is run by someone who does not believe in building teams or letting her people use their expertise. It is a basically a high school clique in management, with decisions made by their own egos instead of facts given by the people that actually execute. We were constantly told that this company is doing what no other company has done, but it really hasn't. Numbers were constantly being missed. The product that is sold is the same that sells in other brands. I was often insulted by management for having an opinion.

Advice to Management

Remember that people are your biggest asset, not your own egos.

"Everyone Lies"

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Chloe + Isabel part-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice lookbooks and branding, packaging is nice

Cons

everything. all if the leaders lie to sugar coat how bad things are and protect the CEO. sooooo many bad decisions made weekly. a new bomb dropped on us every week. the company is hypocritical. they reward cheaters and liars. put leaders who break rules on a pedestal. all they do is take our money, constantly making seemingly small changes to take away money and pay from merchandisers. CEO is unethical and fake. says she wants to empower women but she is a liar and caters to those who kiss her butt and spits on people who actually care. corporate leaders lie to protect ceo daily and treat us as if we are stupid. they delete posts on private fb pages when people show concern and even kick people out of the pages if they speak the truth. do not sell for this company!

Advice to Management

get a life.

"Even if you actually paid me....."

Current Employee - Merchandiser

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel (More than a year)

Pros

- you occasionally get to purchase some poorly made jewelry at 50-65% off

Cons

- Disorganized middle management
    - company can not keep a consistent vision or direction for brand image and the management/maintainence of such
    - BIG BROTHER: your Facebook&Social Media accounts are being watched like a hawk by a bunch of bored "housewives" with high school educations (at best) and you are reported for anything that in any way remotely is speaking out against the company - for example, I commented on a coworkers FB post I'd be missing the annual conference as I needed to put that $$ towards my vacation - boom with in minutes had an email reprimanding me for my negative attitude and how "disrespectful" to the "community" I was ... seriously.
    -the quality & durability of the product has dramatically decreased over the last year
    -New changes to reward structures for clients hurt many of their "merchandisers" dramatically
    -the company plays favorites to say the least and those catty few are impossible to deal with and have ultimate say in all things
    - I've seen sorority's run with less drama

Advice to Management

Get a clue? Stop lying to employees on the direction of the company. If you're going to start manufacturing cheaply, selling through third party discount retailers, changing policies, and forcing resignation of long term employees for petty reasons at least just own up to it. Don't keep holding the noses of your employees as you pour kool aid down their throats

"Not even if it is the last job on EARTH"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Chloe + Isabel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HA! you aren't serious? But to be fair- The unlimited PTO.

Cons

Everything. But number one con-MANAGEMENT! this place is a zoo. They have zero retention with employees because it is the most toxic environment. They lie at the interview and sell you dreams. Just like they lie to "Merchandisers" they sell them a $200 kit that is filled with their "best sellers" yea....ok. Very few merchandisers can make good money-its all bull. Far-even from the nearest subway. The jewelry is cheaply made and overpriced. Tacky designs. I can go on forever. They say Free Food! more like a a choice between a green banana or a bag of chips....on Monday, maybe , if there are any left., but bring your own food if you want to eat. They should fire whoever makes the coffee...TERRIBLE

Advice to Management

Hire people who have experience in management and have interpersonal skills. Not someone on an authority trip. Better yet-close your doors-Chloe + Isabel is a sinking ship.

"Mixed Signals, constant changing management, lack of communication"

Current Employee - Community Growth Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Growth Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Chloe + Isabel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful Office Space
    Beautiful Product
    Dog friendly office
    Discount on jewelry
    Snacks and coffee in the office
    Occasional team happy hours

Cons

As a merchandiser I was so excited to get this job in corporate. Unfortunately it was not what I expected. I felt like a telemarketer being forced to make sales goals that were unrealistic. Our team had 5 different managers in one year and things were constantly changing. The office culture was great in the beginning but clearly the company has grown too quickly and now they are scrambling. Half our team was let go because " we didn't have enough work to do". It seemed as though if you worked hard and fairly you were punished. There were people that cheated their way to the top and still have a job there Very disappointed as I believed in the company and their message to empower women.

Advice to Management

If you are a manger please say hello and good morning to your team. We shouldn't be scared to ask a question or go to management if there is a problem. There are a ton of talented and creative women that work for you. Don't make them feel less than the rest of the company because of their role. Please watch the way you speak to people.